• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Films Launch Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Even if I don't like them, I don't go on forums writing about how crap they are. Or I just don't continue listening to them.

What really annoys me is the close-mindedness.

God Bless the First Amendment. Laughing
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:
Even if I don't like them, I don't go on forums writing about how crap they are. Or I just don't continue listening to them.

Yes, which involves a ton of people people actually liking DBZ despite all your other claims of the exact opposite.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:

Yes, which involves a ton of people people actually liking DBZ despite all your other claims of the exact opposite.

I take it your not American. Because the First Amendment actually protects a wide variety of speech, even hateful. So long as it doesn't cause either libel, slander, or grievious injury.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:35 am Reply with quote
So, are we going to continue this pointless argument about the Bill of Rights' protection of ignorant & irrational blanket statements on anime message boards, or can we get back on topic?

Just a simple warning to the both of you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Crawly wrote:

To each their own. I don't like dubs, never have. I don't curse their existance, though, and don't think my dislike of them is either unreasonable or prejudiced in any way. I just haven't found very many that are good to my ears. And as someone who would love to see some anime movies on the big screen and would be willing to seek them out, and knowing that a lot of small, arthouse type productions are generally offered in their original language, I'd like to see that done here, too.

I'm willing to give them a chance and keep an open mind. Even if I don't like them, I don't go on forums writing about how crap they are. Or I just don't continue listening to them.

I give them a chance, too. And I rarely like what I hear. But what I said had nothing to do with dubs in general, and I never once called any dub crap. I said I don't like them personally, and if anime is being filmed in theaters, I would like a few of those screenings to be in the original language. You just seem to have issues with people who don't like English dubs.

Quote:

Close-mindedness is always a bad thing. But personal preference is something completely different. People watch English dubs because they like how they sound. Others watch the Japanese dub because they like how that sounds. And then there's others who are just elitist snobs who think anime is high art and only viewable in it's original language, and that English dubs are an assult to humanity. We all try to avoid them.

Quote:
And most anime aren't art house type movies either. But then you have Miyazaki movies, which for some are an all ages type thing and kids shouldn't be expected to know Japanese or have to read subtitles.

I said arthouse type, meaning limited audience and limited screenings. Plus, they're foreign films. So they do fall into that catagory, Miyazaki included regardless of the age of the target audience. An English dub doesn't change that. And I think you're underestimating kids. My youngest siblings have been watching subtitles since they were around 10 or 11, no issues at all. Little bro (who's 14 now) was even able to pick out all the mistakes in ADV's version of Sailor Moon the first time he ever watched it. The brother still prefers English for his Gundam, though, and since I think those dubs are pretty good, we go with that. The sister just likes the way Japanese sounds, so everything I watch with her is subtitled.

Quote:
Plus most a lot more anime is being made nowadays with the intent of an American license and distribution. Japanese companies have become more reliant on that. So I don't buy into the whole sacred value of the original Japanese language as much.

Anime is Japanese, and made primarily for a Japanese audience. Foreign distribution is important to them financially, but don't forget who the main target audience is. Specifically in the case of what Funi is marketing to theaters, 10 to 12 year old Japanese boys. As for the language, nothing is really sacred. But I watch all my foriegn films in their orignal language, just because it's better to me. I don't think the Simpsons or Star Trek sound right in Japanese, I don't think Rugrats sounds right in Spanish (though it is fun to mock), and I don't think FMA sounds right in English. It's not about thinking the language is sacred. It's just about what sounds better to me. Personal preference and all that.
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Crawly wrote:

I give them a chance, too. And I rarely like what I hear. But what I said had nothing to do with dubs in general, and I never once called any dub crap. I said I don't like them personally, and if anime is being filmed in theaters, I would like a few of those screenings to be in the original language. You just seem to have issues with people who don't like English dubs.

I have issue with how venomous and unreasonable a large amount of fans are over it. I have issue with how on all the Naruto forums, everything they said was going to happen with the Toonami version didn't happen. Their negative attitudes annoy me. None of seem to be willing to accept that now the industry standard is releasing anime uncut, unedited, with Japanese and English subtitles on DVD. They act like we are still in this English VHS era.

Quote:

Close-mindedness is always a bad thing. But personal preference is something completely different. People watch English dubs because they like how they sound. Others watch the Japanese dub because they like how that sounds. And then there's others who are just elitist snobs who think anime is high art and only viewable in it's original language, and that English dubs are an assult to humanity. We all try to avoid them.

What I am referring to goes beyond personal preference. And yes its the elitist snobs. So I agree with you.

Quote:

I said arthouse type, meaning limited audience and limited screenings. Plus, they're foreign films. So they do fall into that catagory, Miyazaki included regardless of the age of the target audience. An English dub doesn't change that. And I think you're underestimating kids. My youngest siblings have been watching subtitles since they were around 10 or 11, no issues at all. Little bro (who's 14 now) was even able to pick out all the mistakes in ADV's version of Sailor Moon the first time he ever watched it. The brother still prefers English for his Gundam, though, and since I think those dubs are pretty good, we go with that. The sister just likes the way Japanese sounds, so everything I watch with her is subtitled.

Kids younger than 10 or 11 who don't know how to read yet should be able to watch some of those Miyazaki movies. Ages 7 or 8 and under.

Quote:

Anime is Japanese, and made primarily for a Japanese audience. Foreign distribution is important to them financially, but don't forget who the main target audience is. Specifically in the case of what Funi is marketing to theaters, 10 to 12 year old Japanese boys. As for the language, nothing is really sacred. But I watch all my foriegn films in their orignal language, just because it's better to me. I don't think the Simpsons or Star Trek sound right in Japanese, I don't think Rugrats sounds right in Spanish (though it is fun to mock), and I don't think FMA sounds right in English. It's not about thinking the language is sacred. It's just about what sounds better to me. Personal preference and all that.

But in Japan, people are going to watch Rugrats in Japanese. In Spain and Mexico, people are going to watch the Simpsons in Spanish. People overseas aren't exactly watching everything in the original language either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, I just hope this won't end up like the Transformers movie where it got taken out after a week, and the only way we could watch it for almost 15 years was in re-runs without the curse words. :roll:
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3