• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Scores Highest Ever Sales Ranking for a Manga in Booklist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I think Death Note's been getting good word-of-mouth, plus it's even gaining traction among readers who might not be "typical manga fans." Everyone loves a mystery.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
WOW. This really is huge news, I hope it's really true, and I suspect that it is!

Pleasantly surprised about Death Note... It's my favorite, but I didn't expect that it'd be popular at all in the U.S., seeing as it's somewhat lacking in the fan-services department and is so dialogue heavy...

Goooooooooooooood! Manga seems to be making another jump in society!
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Winter break for most school-aged youths took place fairly recently. I wonder if having that extra time on their hands directed them to more recreational activities (if so, that's a great choice - it's about time people remembered that book stores are awesome places) or, at the very least, caused enough boredome to elicit this mass manga purchase.

When Naruto or somesuch shows up on those front display tables at Barnes & Noble, THAT'S when we should start celebrating the "arrival" of manga into the mainstream.

p.s. I've noticed an snowballing trend at libraries that also might be responsible for the rising manga ratings: they've started setting aside a good-sized section of the teen area for graphic novels. I'm not at all surprised by this. For libraries manga is, potentially, a wonderful draw - they can grab the very readers they've been losing for years to the Internet by offering them a hot commodity for free.
If libraries are purchasing manga, that's a boost to the number of volumes sold, plus they are giving manga public exposure, enough that people who may not even know what manga IS are probably checking it out and maybe going out on their own to buy it. And this can only be good, because I'm sure the more people who borrow manga from the library, the more of it the libraries will stock.
And yes, it's current manga, although there is some Ranma 1/2 floating around. What's there is more heavily skewed towards attracting girls, but I suspect this has more to do with libraries avoiding the the murky realm of sex and violence in manga than a deliberate slight to boys, who are more likely to go for the shonen titles.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
lvirden wrote:
But I didn't think that Naruto vol 9 was out yet... that it was supposed to be out next Tuesday? If that's the case, then it is surprising me that it was even in the top 150 last week...

Or does this rating including pre-orders?

If so, never mind.... Embarassed

Most bookstores ignore street dates for manga. I got my Naruto vol. 9 last week. And there was an article on ANN about a week ago about Naruto vol. 9 that apparently only I noticed as no one else seemed to respond to it:

Quote:
USA Today Booklist (2006-02-23 11:12:12)
Naruto volume 9 has entered USA Today's Booklist in position 147. Booklist is a ranking of the 150 top selling books (fction and non-fiction) in the United States.There were no other manga in the top 150, last week's booklist featured no manga.

I'm not suprised Naruto is on the Top 150, but I'm suprised its so high. I was suprised by Death Note. Rurouni Kenshin had fallen off the charts for a while so I'm glad to see it back up there.
.Sy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
You HAVE to be kidding me. There is no way that this is accurate. Top 60 is really great, top fifty is pushing it, and top thirty has got to be jerking me around. Fruits Basket at slot 79 was believable, because its been on a roll that way for quite a few volumes. We'll see.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, well, well....of all volumes, its the one where Hinata, unfortunately, gets the crap beat out of her by her own cousin and the start of the Rock Lee vs Sabaku no Gaara prelim fight (one of the best animated fights in the anime, imo)

I'm glad the manga's getting some more attention. I'm very proud any manga is getting the top 150.

TAKE THAT AL KAHN! Anime hyper
VML

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm really happy to hear this! I love Naruto. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shintot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hooray! The Chuunin selection leading to (you know what) is the best part of the show... However, I'd like to see a US manga release of "filler" episode 174, and consequential USA Today rank! That was an awful waste of bandwidth and time.
RezSav

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Still in the top 50, so where are the "Bookscan" results, Tempest?

Last edited by RezSav on Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animedude35

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Still in the top 50, so where is the "Bookscan" results, Tempest?

LOL I was about to say, if it's still in the top 50, it isn't a glitch Very Happy

Anyways, I'm glad that naruto is in the top 50 because it shows that not everything good/popular has to be the next opera book Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
Still in the top 50, so where is the "Bookscan" results, Tempest?

Sunday... still not Sunday... Bookscan is a whole week behind. I'm anxiously awaiting the result too.
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This is, to be sure, amazing. Of course, I've been calling Naruto the next big thing for a couple years now, and I've always believed it could easily be the next DBZ here in NA. I hope everyone involved in brinigng it here likes buckets full of money.
lion-san

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote
those results are insane
not surpised with naruto but Death note too?

*claps* finally NA is noticing good manga Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I still don't buy Naruto in the top 50. I still don't. Maybe next time though.
Usu_Uaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
I'm a little confused. How can Fullmetal Alchemist volume 7 be listed when Volume 6 isn't even out until next week.
Unless...maybe preorders...?
Volume 7 won't be out until May so it can't be like the deal with Naruto volume 9.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3