• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Dub.DVD - Rock the Dragon Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaSean

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
LaSean wrote:
You elitist and purist are so annoying.

I'm not a purist. I just know good dubs when I hear them. This series never had a good or even decent English dub, until a couple of years ago, in the form of Kai

Problems with the Ocean-Funimation dub

-Cheesy, overacting, with poor voice directing
-Saban forcing Funimation to heavily edit more than they needed.
-Inaccurate script to the point where the show is the show only the same via visuals(and due to the next thing, not even that)
-Cutting out of 14 episodes worth of content
-Replacement "music" which is not memorable, trash and not a fit for the show in the slightest
-Not really the show in the slightest

Problems with the Funimation in house dub from 1999-2002
-Amateur noobs picked from the street, who weren't VAs.
-Bland, lifeless, cheesy, ear grating acting
-Bruce Failconer's "music" being crappy and the music plays throughout entire episodes with almost little-no silence. I think there's about 1 minute of silence in the entire in house portion of the dub.
-Heavy alteration, even after Saban left
Character personality changes

See but that's YOUR opinion. I prefer Bruce Faulconer score more than the original Japanese one. I like the original Japanese score for Dragonball but not for DBZ. Overall I don't like the Ocean Dub but there are some voices from the Ocean dub that I do like. Also of course Kai would have the better dub, most of them are the same VA's from the old Funimation dub but with more experience. The Funi dub was decent pretty decent considering when it was made, it wasn't terrible...there were few better than it, most were worst than it. And last, Movie 8 "The Legendary Super Saiyan" is far from terrible, it's definitely not "one of the best anime films of all time" like that one guy said, but it's still good....probably the best DBZ movie or at the very least one of the best DBZ movies. But you don't like any version of DBZ, the American nor the Japanese ver. since in your words it's "weak".

Yes the dubs have flaws but they don't suck, they are decent.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
@LaSean No, I'm not too big on DBZ, but it doesn't mean that I should let people view DBZ for what it's not. These dubs are about as DBZ as Indiana Jones is Star Wars. And before you say "that's not an accurate analogy at all" actually it is. Both are George Lucas creations. Both have Harrison Ford as a main character. Both go deep into the pasts of their respective film sagas. Both have the same composer. But they're so different, even if the aesthetic feel of them is the same. These dubs may look like the source, both they most certainly are not.

EDIT: Oh BTW, these dubs didn't hold up for their times, in the slightest. By the the in house dub of Z came to TV, the dubs of Gundam F91 and Gundam 0080 came out with faithful scripts, professional, veteran VAs involved, unedited, no swearing censored, music is kept, everything is how it was in the Japanese. Even Gundam 0083, which had a hokey dub still kept the BGM music, had a decent script, as well as freaking Kirk Thronton and the Daran Norris, which is enough to make the DBZ dubs of past look awful. Also 6 months later, Gundam Wing was dubbed for TV, which still slapped DBZ's dub silly, even if it's cringeworthy now.

@Lynx The CE dubs were decent, anyway. The sides were way better than the mains, but the dub still kept the original scripts and feel of the show. Also, Bakugan has changes from the JP version. Edits and all.

@PurpleWarrior13 You can say that, but there are things in this world which are either sucky or great. I can understand vegetarians not liking Big Macs, but for meat eaters, how can they resist the juicy, succulent taste of a Big Mac? If they do resist it, that's their loss.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
You can say that, but there are things in this world which are either sucky or great. I can understand vegetarians not liking Big Macs, but for meat eaters, how can they resist the juicy, succulent taste of a Big Mac? If they do resist it, that's their loss.

Yes, there are things in this world that are sucky or great... in people's minds. Once again, those are called OPINIONS. Wink What defines sucky and great can (and does) vary from person to person.

Oh, and not all meat eaters like Big Macs. Wink
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
You can say that, but there are things in this world which are either sucky or great. I can understand vegetarians not liking Big Macs, but for meat eaters, how can they resist the juicy, succulent taste of a Big Mac? If they do resist it, that's their loss.

Yes, there are things in this world that are sucky or great... in people's minds. Once again, those are called OPINIONS. Wink What defines sucky and great can (and does) vary from person to person.

I think most folks would agree that an adaptation is bad if it strays too far from the source material, which is what the Ocean dub does.

To each their own, though.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I think an adaptation is bad if it strays from the original work's spirit. They should feel free to make changes that would better suit the adaptation (something the slavishly faithful Shonen anime adaptation should learn to do), but that's not what DBZ's English dubs wanted. They wanted "EXTREME!" and "ACTION!" The result is that we lose the silliness that, while lessened, is still present in DBZ.

I honestly don't know how such dubs can be so popular, because that silliness is pretty much all that makes DBZ watchable. Razz But that's just me.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
It all adds up to a big, self-conscious jab at the show's desire to retool itself as kiddie fare.

But Dragon Ball is kiddie fare.

Yeah, and the part where he talks about "drearily serious source material" -- what? Granted the show has its dark moments when characters get killed off (which is never permanent and merely sees them sent to a goofy afterlife for a little while), but Dragon Ball was a comedy and DBZ retains plenty of that, albeit with a stronger action orientation. Parts of this review read like it was written by someone whose only impression of the Japanese version has come from reading DBZ Uncensored. This show isn't exactly Ideon.

He even talks about how serious the source material was in relation to a character this dub turned into a rocker. A character who, in the original, is still named after fruit juice and is a member of a team with a love for corny poses that play rock-paper-scissors to determine who gets to fight who.

Makes you wonder if he ever saw the show in any capacity. Dragonball has always a silly air to it.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Welp.

Geeze, I didn't expect people to go bananas over this, but I would buy it, considering that I was originally looking for the Uncut movies with the original Ocean VAs. I only managed to get one copy, but I pretty much enjoyed it.

In any case, this is for someone like me...I'm gonna get it! Very Happy
(Considering I never got upset about any anime that was edited in my childhood, there's no need for me to foam at the mouth).
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
To be honest here, the Ocean VA's were not that bad here save for Peter Kelamis (but I've never liked Kelamis as Goku to begin with so that's just me). The VA's were just given a script and some directions to take the acting and that's it. You can ask any VA and they will tell you the same thing: "We just read the line."

If you really want to blame someone for the bad acting, you might as well blame the director. However, during the 90's regarding all kids anime, overacting was just the norm. It still goes on today.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
if I ever revisited DBZ it would definitely be through this, but the way I see it, DBZ was a gateway drug that led to bigger and better things, there's no reason to go backwards in this case, it probably IS better left to memory

however, that said I'd be lying if I said it wasn't tempting, nostalgia is like a powerful drug to me, even when things turn out to be not as good as I remembered it's still a pleasant experience for me just to reinvigorate old memories
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
I think an adaptation is bad if it strays from the original work's spirit. They should feel free to make changes that would better suit the adaptation (something the slavishly faithful Shonen anime adaptation should learn to do), but that's not what DBZ's English dubs wanted. They wanted "EXTREME!" and "ACTION!" The result is that we lose the silliness that, while lessened, is still present in DBZ.

I honestly don't know how such dubs can be so popular, because that silliness is pretty much all that makes DBZ watchable. Razz But that's just me.

I thought the FUNi dub, as well as the two dubs Ocean worked on, captured the show's spirit pretty well. The "extreme action" stuff was definitely present, but mostly in the show's marketing, narration, and in some cases the music. Not that I minded that though. Anything to more easily market the show. There are lots people I know and knew that watched DBZ and no other anime that probably would not have touched it had it not been for that edge. I think the show's hardcoreness added to it's appeal and gave the show more broad popularity. Though the show was pretty damn hardcore before, and it's not like the silly moments were cut. If anything, all the English versions were loose enough that they didn't take themselves too seriously, and were more entertaining to watch because the dialogue was usually more colorful than a straight translation would be.

It's still up to opinion though and doesn't make anything "factually" good or bad. Razz
hojo 360

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I can see maybe someone wanting this but heavily-edited version that's not worth any sort of cash hell if i wanted to feel like i was in the 90's id go hunt down the VHS sorry funi but this was a wast Rolling Eyes
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@YamadaKun

Nothing on this planet is "factually" good or bad. THAT is entirely up to opinion.

I'd disagree. An objective 'good' and 'bad' do exist. Your view is reductive.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

Storytelling isn't as invisible an art as some make it out to be. A story is a machine with multiple parts acting to take it to its natural conclusion. Writing, as a practice, as well as what it produces, can be objectively dissected and analyzed. Attempting to apply blanket subjectivity in order to put every person's opinion on the same level also ignores that experience, authority, and study in film analysis have any poignancy. It smacks of the sort of anti-intellectualism that's running rampant in this country. If everything is subjective then there's no point to the pursuit of knowledge because what you encounter only means as much as you think it means and you can't be right or wrong either way. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that's a laughable idea.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
@zaphdash I dislike the dubs too, but DBZ is not a masterpiece. It's not excellent, very good, good, decent, so-so or even not really good. It's weak. 50-60% of the show is useless filler, character personality changes, off model art, sloppy animation and the Japanese version itself if not perfect. The only good VA work is from Midorikawa, Nakahara, Otomo, Nakao, Wakamoto, Furuya, that guy who played that bastard from Double Zeta Gundam, Chiba, Hayami and a few others. The main characters had annoying/forced voices. All that aside, DBZ Uncensored 2 goes as far as to say that Movie 8 is considered to be one of the best anime movies of all time. I laughed my ass off. That movie is terrible. The art and animation isn't better in the slightest, the music sucks, the VAing, apart from a few suck, the plot is thin, urgh. Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Wings of the Honneamise, Castle in the Sky and Whisper in the Heart are in the same category as that filth? Hell no. DBZU and DBZU2 need to get better taste in anime.

I'm not sure why this is "@" me since it has nothing to do with what I said. What the hell are you even talking about?
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:

Also people can like things that are awful and are acknowledged as so and people can still like them. A good 1/3 of my anime collection are awful and horrible animated anime and I love it for that specific reason. Just because it is awful and bad does not mean people still can not enjoy it in any way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7