• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Adult Swim Updates

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I went and deleted the TOPIC when I wanted to delete a double post. Sorry Anime smallmouth;;

DevilMan wrote:
Adult Swim dropped a load on us Thursday night by introducing us to all the new shows coming to AS.

It seems Kikaider will stay on schedule as previously thought. Also, FUNi is bringing Blue Gender to AS (although it's going to be a pain to edit) and it seems that the new season Big O will also join up with AS, while already scheduled to be on Toonami. Those who are fans of Big O will happy to know that the AS version will be uncut because I saw a caption under the title saying "Cast in the name of God". That's all I got for now.

Anlushac11 wrote:
Sweet!!!

I hope they improve their Saturday night lineup as it pretty barren right now. I like the current Adult swim as Im finally getting into Trigun and Inuyasha, whicj means they will probably change it to a time I cant see.

I liked Big-O and am glad to see his return. Only problem is I never saw the finale for previous showings.

Im willing to give them all a view and see how it turns out.

Ataru wrote:
Ah, is that it. It is rather old news.

Delthayre wrote:

One minor correction: New episodes of The Big O were never scheduled to be on Toonami.

Blue Gender should air this summer, but it's not likely to be earlier than July.

DevilMan wrote:
That odd because I heard in July they'll rerun the first 13 episode. Will that be on AS or Toonami?

Ataru wrote:
From what's been going around, AS and that it'll replace Inu Yasha. But since CN only goes 2 week ahead in the schedule, it's not know yet. (Note: If you seen my post in the FLCL topic before I deleted (tried to), that what it was basically aim at.)

Delthayre wrote:

The first 13 episodes will begin on Adult Swim on July 7th at 12:00am and run Monday to Thurday. The 13 new episodes will begin on August 1st at 11:00pm and run on Sundays only. This is interesting since with the exception of the now defunct Saturday AS Action block, Anime has never before aired at 11:00, which is Adult Swim's prime slot.

Blue Gender will come to Adult Swim in August (or maybe very late July). The June date given in the cards is the result of the month long delay between the writing of the cards and their airing.

As a caveat, all of this is quite succeptible to change. A lot can get shifted and changed in a month's time. But I think it unlikely that anything but the time slot of The Big O will change.

By the way, I am very excited that The Big O is coming.

Lupin_333 wrote:
Delthayre wrote: One minor correction: New episodes of The Big O were never scheduled to be on Toonami.

Newtype USA's Jan. 2003 edition (I've quoted this issue before, and I'm quoting it again) says that the new Big O series was designed with Americans in mind with input from American viewers of the first series. It is supposed to have more action than the original series, so that must be why it's going to have encore showings on AS.

I'm sorry, but I haven't figured out how to use the quote things yet.

Miagi wrote:

Lupin_333 wrote:

Newtype USA's Jan. 2003 edition (I've quoted this issue before, and I'm quoting it again) says that the new Big O series was designed with Americans in mind with input from American viewers of the first series.

Hmm...
Bandai's Jerry Chu (6/04/03) wrote:

Then there's the Big O II...the story, concept, artwork, and animation were produced by Japanese creative staff...with the "final product" being sign off by Americans. It wasn't as though the Americans said, make this guy look like Bat-Man and James Bond...and make it appeal to Americans. In the purist sense, it's still a Japanese vision, but with influence from American works.

Who knows how much influence the US audience had on the series...

Delthayre wrote:
I hope it wasn't changed for American audiences. That might damage some of the things that attracted viewers in the first place. I'll grant that the giant robot fights were cool (due largely to the unique mecha designs), but it's the strong characterization and complex underlying mystery of Paradigm city that made the series really worthwhile. I personally doubt that it was changed in any appreciable way, but it is possible.

Howver, I'm still excited that The Big O is returning, replete with new episodes.

v1cious wrote:
Kikaider starts tomorrow, so far i've heard good reivews.

Anlushac wrote:
Big-O: Cast In the name of God is supposed to be coming to CN in August

It was on one of the AS letterboards last week.

There is another new title coming in July. Captain Storm or something like that.

Delthayre wrote:
That's Captain Sturdy. It is actually a Cartoon Cartoon short that appealed more to adults than younger audiences, but it really isn't quite up to Adult Swim standards in the eyes of a lot of people.

The original first 13 episodes of The Big O, which will be airing uncut, will premiere on Adult Swim (they've been on Toonami before) at 12:00am (EST) on July 7th and air daily. The new season will premiere at 11:00pm (EST) on August 3rd and air weekly.

And, Blue Gender now has an official premiere date of August 25th.

Toubib wrote:
I'm forseeing a disturbing occurance about to happen. It seems like Big O will not be a story to be told, but rather a show to make money. And I'd hate to have a total of 38 episodes and still not know what the mystery is of Paradigm City. So I just hope that CN's involvment in the production of Big O doesn't degrade the telling of the story.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Never realized how many posts there were in one page! Anime smallmouth;
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:22 am Reply with quote
so what say you guys about Kikaider? i'm really not sure what i think about this one, the animation is great, even though that art style is very odd for this time period, but some of voice acting is atrocious, like that annoying little kid for example. does this get really dark later or something? cause so far i can't see why it's on Adult Swim.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:35 am Reply with quote
From what I saw in the ad, it's an old anime reimagined, so I'm guessing they retained the old character designs from the old anime. Not a problem for me since I actually like it. Reminds me of Tezuka.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DaVeDuDe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:29 pm Reply with quote
When I first heard the announcement, I thought that it might be the live-action Kikaider, which is more or less the twin of Power Rangers.
Then I thought, nah, that wouldn't be right.

Either way, I don't see Kikaider as fitting in on Adult Swim. I mean, it is an 18+ show supposedly, so why would they show a series geared towrds ages 12-16.

Shocked
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:22 pm Reply with quote
DaVeDuDe wrote:
When I first heard the announcement, I thought that it might be the live-action Kikaider, which is more or less the twin of Power Rangers.
Then I thought, nah, that wouldn't be right.

Either way, I don't see Kikaider as fitting in on Adult Swim. I mean, it is an 18+ show supposedly, so why would they show a series geared towrds ages 12-16.

Shocked

despite the goofy look, this cartoon's pretty damn dark. if you saw last night's episode, then you know why it's on adult swim instead of toonami
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1