• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boogiepop Phantom (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fear Ghoul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While I somewhat agree with your principle, I don't agree with the assertion that some people -- in this case, the mentally ill -- are inherently constrained because of their predisposition, nor that the characters in Watchmen are, as well.

Well, by definition, a mentally ill person has something wrong with their mind them that prevents them from being able to express the full range of expected human mental capabilities, hence they are constrained. My argument ran more along the lines of questioning at what point someone can be labelled constrained through their singular obsessive expression with certain emotions, thoughts, and actions, and how this differs from a normal person. If normal people can be considered constrained because of their obsessive tendencies, then the argument that the characters of Boogiepop Phantom are constrained and thus are inferior characterizations of real problems becomes a fallacy. That's what I was trying to get at.

Quote:
Well, yeah, but at the same time its raison d'etre (oh, Ergo Proxy... Speaking of pretentious anime...) is primarily for entertainment. I mean, there's also commentary in, say, G Gundam, but I'm doubtful that anyone is going to attempt to argue that it's themes concerning environment, technology and communication are its defining purpose.

The line between entertainment and "art" is entirely arbitrary again. To what point Boogiepop Phantom is designed to entertain and not educate could be argued forever, because there are people who do find it entertaining just like the latest Gundam series or Haruhi. I wouldn't watch it if I didn't find it entertaining.

Quote:
You'd have to take that assertion up with more devoted Kon fans (of which I do think it would be an interesting discussion, so long as no one tries to step on anyone else's toes). However, putting aside Perfect Blue and the first batch of Paranoia Agent -- the latter of which is mostly delivered with the tongue-in-cheek, and better direction, by my mark -- I don't see how his output is thematically less than that in Boogiepop Phantom.

I am actually a big Kon fan (I own all of his films, of which Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers are my favourites). I'm not actually saying that his stuff has no depth or that he isn't good at what he does, because he is exceptional at what he does. However, if we are comparing thematic breadth and characterization, then all of Kon's films generally have just one theme they focus on, while each episode of Boogiepop Phantom usually has a theme it focuses on.

Quote:
With BP, the ideas are just sort of... well, there. They are what they are, but I never really came away with a different viewpoint (from the creator's perspective, I mean); the same thing applies to something like Now and Then, Here and There, which I also find its depth to be vastly overstated by some of the fandom.

I think how much a work impacts upon your way of thinking is different from how good that work is. Very few things have changed my outlook on life (of which Watchmen is one), but most haven't even made a dent. The impact something has on me doesn't really factor into my critical evaluation, but may factor into my enjoyment. So I don't think whether Boogiepop Phantom changed your outlook on life (as so many people who watch Eva profess Rolling Eyes ) is an entirely fair method for evaluating the quality of the series in general.

Quote:
Lain is not essentially about people being (dis)connected, though. The real-world concepts and events introduced and reinforced for the viewer aren't as trivial as that. Like I said earlier, it's themes and points go well beyond a simple idea of "Everyone is connected," far into territory that a lot of viewers don't pick up on and give it credit for.

I would be interested in hearing your take on what the series is about then, because everything from the opening to the ending suggests to me that the story is all about people being connected. Schuman resonance is introduced in episode 6(?) to advance this theme, and I don't think the internet, schuman resonance, and relationships would comprise the majority of episode time if that wasn't what the series was about.

Quote:
I could see that argument, except there is movement when, say, there is panning across a room and over a character. One of the most frequent stylistic shots that I remember is a slow movement upward as Ginko moves his cigar* away from his mouth -- that animation is just so ridiculously natural. That's one of the "quieter" moments you allude to.

I'll need to watch some more of the series and double check (I'm up to episode 12), but having a character move their hand is not high quality animation, not by anyone's standard. Well, to be accurate by the standard of a lot of anime that's really good, but that's only a comparison and so really doesn't mean anything overall.

Allow me to use this video as an example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQMWGz1p-U

1. In the first 36 seconds, there are 3 full cells. That's it. Only 3 in 36 seconds.

2. In the next 30 seconds, only the ground is animated. The sky has been left white - i.e not animated at all.

3. From 2:35 to 2:55, there are just 2 fully animated cells.

4. From 3:02 to 3:12, there is just one partially animated cell.

There are many other shorter examples of such direction. A lot of movement is recycled, such as water movement, hair movement, and body movement. Mushi-shi does have very pretty animation, and what they do animate is done well, but udner the above circumstances, I don't see how Mushi-shi can be considered to have a high animation quality.

Quote:
I myself look down upon appealing to a majority, but... people who have a high interest and knowledge in general animation, some of them animators, have a high respect for the series, two of whom you may be familiar with: Cloe of ANN and Ben of AniPages. I would think that there's something to it, y'know.

I imagine they have their reasons. But so do the people who like the animation of Lucky Star, but that doesn't change the fact that I will never agree them.

Quote:
Well, it probably hinges on how well BP was received in Japan -- i.e. DVD sales -- in addition to whether there's a current demand among the fanbase for the novels to see a faithful anime adaption. Even the seemingly nameless manga titles getting adapted have some sort of sure-fire appeal to otaku, so it's not a guarantee that material like the Boogiepop novels can move the numbers...

I think it did reasonably well, based on the japanese adverts which label the series a hit, and the online sources which describe it as a success. But sadly, your point is true. Bloody otaku.
Sean_Hiruki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:50 am Reply with quote
A classic Anime. If you liked Serial Experiments Lain, you'd love Boogiepop Phantom. The art style is the same, the Dub acting is perfect and the story is unique, strange and thought provoking.

It is an Underrated Classic.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Fear Ghoul wrote:
Well, by definition, a mentally ill person has something wrong with their mind them that prevents them from being able to express the full range of expected human mental capabilities, hence they are constrained. My argument ran more along the lines of questioning at what point someone can be labelled constrained through their singular obsessive expression with certain emotions, thoughts, and actions, and how this differs from a normal person. If normal people can be considered constrained because of their obsessive tendencies, then the argument that the characters of Boogiepop Phantom are constrained and thus are inferior characterizations of real problems becomes a fallacy. That's what I was trying to get at.

Ah, alright.

My argument still stands, though; a person is not singularly constrained in real life, even if they don't have the means to express every thought that they have. Hell, a lot of people want to talk about child abuse and/or neglect in certain anime series, defend characters that are mere stereotypes, yet ignore fully-realized stories and characters, such as Bryan Talbot's The Tale of One Bad Rat.

Quote:
The line between entertainment and "art" is entirely arbitrary again. To what point Boogiepop Phantom is designed to entertain and not educate could be argued forever, because there are people who do find it entertaining just like the latest Gundam series or Haruhi. I wouldn't watch it if I didn't find it entertaining.

I'm not arguing "entertainment vs. art," but rather the purpose of Boogiepop Phantom. I don't think it'd be unreasonable to say that it exists in order to make some statements regarding some aspects of society, philosophy and psychology, no? Whether it's entertaining to someone is another matter, but it definitely places high emphasis on its message, like Kon's stuff is; compare that to, say, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which does have its own themes and ideas, yet is pretty much entertainment only.

It's just an examination of what the story's purpose is, not a determinate for its quality.

Quote:
I am actually a big Kon fan (I own all of his films, of which Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers are my favourites). I'm not actually saying that his stuff has no depth or that he isn't good at what he does, because he is exceptional at what he does. However, if we are comparing thematic breadth and characterization, then all of Kon's films generally have just one theme they focus on, while each episode of Boogiepop Phantom usually has a theme it focuses on.

Alright, but varying focus doesn't guarantee substantial depth. Texhnolyze is probably the greatest example that anime will ever produce with what you're referring to, whereas Ergo Proxy is your example gone wrong, awash in allusion for the sake of allusion.

Quote:
I think how much a work impacts upon your way of thinking is different from how good that work is. Very few things have changed my outlook on life (of which Watchmen is one), but most haven't even made a dent. The impact something has on me doesn't really factor into my critical evaluation, but may factor into my enjoyment. So I don't think whether Boogiepop Phantom changed your outlook on life (as so many people who watch Eva profess Rolling Eyes ) is an entirely fair method for evaluating the quality of the series in general.

I wasn't referring to how much a work impacts my beliefs, but rather getting a thought-out and informed opinion from the creator(s) themselves pertaining to whatever subject matter they bring up in their stories.

For instance, the only thing that I really take away from Now and Then, Here and There is that war is bad, children should not be soldiers and spoiler[not to have an abortion.]

Quote:
I would be interested in hearing your take on what the series is about then, because everything from the opening to the ending suggests to me that the story is all about people being connected. Schuman resonance is introduced in episode 6(?) to advance this theme, and I don't think the internet, schuman resonance, and relationships would comprise the majority of episode time if that wasn't what the series was about.

You could simply read the thread. Some of my thoughts on lain are in there. It's nowhere near just a story about loneliness.

Quote:
I'll need to watch some more of the series and double check (I'm up to episode 12), but having a character move their hand is not high quality animation, not by anyone's standard.

Not all animation is the same. A character moving their hand in 3s is NOT going to look the same as a character moving their hand in 2s.

Quote:
Allow me to use this video as an example:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DdQMWGz1p-U

1. In the first 36 seconds, there are 3 full cells. That's it. Only 3 in 36 seconds.

2. In the next 30 seconds, only the ground is animated. The sky has been left white - i.e not animated at all.

3. From 2:35 to 2:55, there are just 2 fully animated cells.

4. From 3:02 to 3:12, there is just one partially animated cell.

There are many other shorter examples of such direction. A lot of movement is recycled, such as water movement, hair movement, and body movement. Mushi-shi does have very pretty animation, and what they do animate is done well, but udner the above circumstances, I don't see how Mushi-shi can be considered to have a high animation quality.

Your second point: the boy's ascent, the girl's hair, the boy turning around and the girl nodding her head are animated in 2s.

You would not have this is the animators are merely skimping around and only focusing on the more "active" scenes.

It's not a subjective claim that Mushi-shi is one of the best animated series in all of Japanese television animation. I'd much rather have 2s and 1s with high production values where the animation isn't totally obvious with the viewer compared to lower production values with awkward animation that's supposedly "constantly moving" to the viewer.

Quote:
I imagine they have their reasons. But so do the people who like the animation of Lucky Star, but that doesn't change the fact that I will never agree them.

Though I don't care for the show, Lucky Star does have better animation than many anime television series.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5