• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Confirms English Trigun Movie Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Also for some people here on the Forums, This series was not the first anime series JYB did. First TV anime series, yes. But the first anime was actually Akira during the Pioneer/Geneon era ( I sure miss those days too )

According to Crystal Acids Trigun was released in 2000 wile Akira was 2001.

Yea. The Geneon remake, but the movie was out the the early 90's / late 80's and he was one of the original VA for the original dub for Akira before pioneer used a different cast when they did the recasting. I watced both version when they both showed on Sci Fi during it's anime runs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PBsallad

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Unless he used an aliases he isn't credited for the Streamline dub.

And I'm fairly certain he always mentions Trigun was his first anime role.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I figured FUNi wouldn't get Lia Sargent back, since I don't think she's been involved in anime VA work for several years (which is a shame), but I was hopeful that they'd reunite the rest of the cast, since they're all still active in the industry. It's unfortunate that FUNi presented an unreasonable situation to Jeff and Dorothy, to the point where they weren't able to get things to work out. I guess business winds up trumping everything else sometimes. At least they did get JYB back; he's really the perfect fit for Vash personality-wise.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, Bosch is a better voice actor than he was back then. A lot of those early episodes suffered from silly acting - even when they were serious.

So out of that whole cast, a new Wolfwood is too bad. I love Luci Christian though. yay.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is not a good sign for the Black Lagoon OVAs. If Funimation is unwilling to allow this dub to be recorded in LA, they're definitely not going to allow those dubs to be done in Vancouver. Which means it's a pass for me. No thank you.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
.....well, I was originally excited to see the movie. But now with only one character keeping the original VA, I think I'm more than fine to wait until I find a used copy on DVD for cheap. It's not that I have anything against the movie (I can't, I've never seen it.), I just don't know. Maybe to me, it won't feel like Trigun.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
yes! johnny! johnny! can't wait!!

sad the whole casted couldn't come back (not that i'm surprised), but it's okay cause luci's in this now. i'm sure she'll do great as meryl Very Happy
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This was no surprise. I was never likely to go to see this in a theater in any case, regardless of opportunity, but this does make me less likely to ever buy it. I suppose that if a very convenient and cheap opportunity arises, I likely will; it is Trigun and does have Johnny Yong Bosch, after all, they just didn't get the whole band back together, which I would really have loved. I don't hold it against them, mind you, what they've done probably makes good business sense. It seems like a pretty good cast on its own merits anway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
Unless he used an aliases he isn't credited for the Streamline dub.

And I'm fairly certain he always mentions Trigun was his first anime role.

Johnny was not the original VA. He was cast when Geneon did the second dub in 2001. Streamline originally released the title in North America in 1988. Cam Clarke was the original lead.

Johnny would have only been 12 at the time of the first release. He's not listed as any of the other characters in it either.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Yeah, this is not a good sign for the Black Lagoon OVAs. If Funimation is unwilling to allow this dub to be recorded in LA, they're definitely not going to allow those dubs to be done in Vancouver. Which means it's a pass for me. No thank you.

There's a good chance that they could bring back that cast since they have been working with Ocean recently on the TV broadcasts of Dragon Ball Z Kai.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:27 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
NJ_ wrote:
A Power Ranger & a VR Trooper in one dub. Amazing!

I was going to watch all of Trigun subbed for consistancy after i buy the Remix singles and the movie but i'll give the movie dub a chance since Brad Hawkins is involved (along with Johnny which was no surprise) and Monica Rial isn't (thank goodness). Hopefully the new VAs surprise me like they did with the Evangelion films.

Why say that . It would have been interesting if Rial was casted. Of course not as Meryl but as that partner of hers.

As much as I love Monica Rial I don't think she would have been a good choice for the role.

Hopefully it turns out well (I think it will regardless of what others think)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Nice that they got the main lead back but from the looks of it, we have confirmation that rather than looking at what fans want, they decided what was the cheapest option for them, and that was to use their own in-house talent rather than the original VA's.
Really REALLY poor choice from FUNi.
They were once THE big fan fav but they are slowly being over-taken by Sentai.
Anyway, will still buy on BD but not for the dub.
Will be sticking with the original audio with subs.
Thanks FUNi for cheaping out...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Nice that they got the main lead back but from the looks of it, we have confirmation that rather than looking at what fans want, they decided what was the cheapest option for them, and that was to use their own in-house talent rather than the original VA's.
They were once THE big fan favorite but they are slowly being over-taken by Sentai.

It is not a poor choice IMO. It wouldn't be the first time a group didn't use the most of the original VA's for a sequel or movie.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Two years ago, it might actually have been cheaper for FUNi to produce a dub using Ocean, but with the dollar continuing to plummet, the loonie is now worth more than 1 USD.
RedTail

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:08 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
They were once THE big fan favorite but they are slowly being over-taken by Sentai.

And that's exactly why FUNi did what they did. You're still going to buy it anyway. Just like 99% of other Trigun fans.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5