• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toyota USA Plays Hatsune Miku+Corolla Commercials

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
The Corolla hasn't been great since the AE86.

I beg to differ. I have a 2003 model that has served me well for almost a decade and is a great all-around car that I haven't had any major (non-self-inflicted) problems with. I like it so much that after it got accordion-ed in an accident (got rear-ended and sent flying by an old school steel SUV, that was quite the experience) I had them fix it (by welding a new back half onto it) as opposed to getting a check for a new car.

I diagree. Toyota has gained the infamous tagline of "Beige" as of late. None of the lineup as of today inspires people. It's treated as just appliances. All of the uniqueness and soul of the company is lost in the current lineup.

While some token steps have been taken to break that stigma (The Lexus LF-A, the upcoming.......Scion FR-S) it still suffered from that beigeness.
Chunx

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
The website appears to have an American character to cosplay and stand in for the real Miku while she carries on with her live concerts in Japan.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Toyota couldn't find a better car than a Corolla? They should have had Hatsune Miku drive a Tundra, that would have been awesome for all the wrong reasons. Shocked

Of course, this reminds me about how Toyota hasn't had much fun cars since killing the Supra, Celica and MR2 Spyder...

As far as ads from Japanese car makers, nothing beats the dogs driving Subarus. Because dogs are awesome.

But as far as car ads go, the American makes have it down to a science. GM still builds rocketships, Ford still makes legends, and Chrysler gets some love from a hometown hero. Toyota can do better. It would help if they had some truly Japanese cars, too, that they can use for an ad like this.

::steps off of soapbox::
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
The reason they didn't flip the name is because Hatsune Miku is her--no, "its" is more accurate to say--official English name. And it's not a person's name, it's a trademark.

Anyway, I'm disappointed by yet another person saying "Hat-Soony Miku." Is it really that hard to teach people to say "Hatsu Neh"?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
spoony wrote:
dormcat wrote:
At least the commercial is way, way better than the website version.

AHHHH. Why did you show me that? DX

Her armpit looks weird...

That's what a real armpit looks like, bro. Methinks cartoons have you brainwashed. Laughing

ferrarimanf355 wrote:

But as far as car ads go, the American makes have it down to a science. GM still builds rocketships, Ford still makes legends, and Chrysler gets some love from a hometown hero.

"Imported from Detroit"

That's what won the Super Bowl ad wars to a lot of people. Laughing

Altorrin wrote:

Anyway, I'm disappointed by yet another person saying "Hat-Soony Miku." Is it really that hard to teach people to say "Hatsu Neh"?

Ah, ya gringoes couldn't pronounce some of my Chinese friends' real names even if ya tried. Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:55 am Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
But as far as car ads go, the American makes have it down to a science. GM still builds rocketships,

Overpriced Penis Compensator for Mid-Life Crisis Guys.

Quote:

Bloated rip-off of the originals.

Quote:

Funny how "Ze Germans" gutted that company and left the scraps to the Government, only to be "rescued" by the Italians.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:54 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
I diagree. Toyota has gained the infamous tagline of "Beige" as of late. None of the lineup as of today inspires people. It's treated as just appliances. All of the uniqueness and soul of the company is lost in the current lineup.

While some token steps have been taken to break that stigma (The Lexus LF-A, the upcoming.......Scion FR-S) it still suffered from that beigeness.

Yet there are people like me out there who couldn't care less about any of that. All I want is a reliable, functioning car that I don't have to constantly fix something on (like a lot of my friends with the more "unique" cars). If I want uniqueness, I mod it and apply a custom paint job.

If you are willing, you can turn any "Beige" car into something like this:
http://imagerepository.net/images/t/r/26/tricked-out-toyota-corolla/1-tricked-out-toyota-corolla.jpg
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:56 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

Cars are just appliances. But I disagree that they don't inspire people. I enjoy my corolla even if it a bit bland. It gets good gas mileage and it gets me to the places I need to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Queen_Lolita

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
After watching these commercials I started thinking that maybe Hatsune Miku won't just be a Japanese singer anymore. Didn't Yamaha just make a new vocal generator so that they don't have to have a sample voice.
(I don't remember but I thought they did make something like this)Maybe Hatsune Miku will enter in the American market. Why else would they feature a car after a CGI J-Pop Singer.
ferrarimanf355

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
ferrarimanf355 wrote:
But as far as car ads go, the American makes have it down to a science. GM still builds rocketships,

Overpriced Penis Compensator for Mid-Life Crisis Guys.

Wait... what? The only Toyota that comes close is the Lexus LF-A, and that was designed to compete with Lamborghinis, not Corvettes.

And besides, you can't say with a straight face that that ad didn't pull at your heart strings a little, made you patriotic, made you feel proud that GM is still around, building Corvettes, Camaros, turbo Buick Regals, small-block 350's, and just being awesome.

Same with this Ford Mustang ad. You can't say with a straight face that you can find a better person for that ad than someone who's cooler than anyone that lived, is living, or will live in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hahaha. I love how you yanks like to emphasise the vowels, "HasUne -- MEEkU".

Could be worse. Some country could unwittingly through in a ton of unnecessary "u" letters in her name and guess her weight in stones.
Twisted Evil

As for the topic: Is that how she sounds?

I am so thankful figures don't speak. I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that.

Someone mentioned this ad could have us seeing more anime in the US and something occurred to me: didn't Pepsi (Pizza Hut) sponsor Code Geass? I ask because I recall no US commercials featuring the cast of the series selling overpriced bread and cheese.

Personally, I'd love to see Rebecca shill Coca-Cola cause she's a "big girl" and can drink a whole can by herself.

Well, time to bolt. I need to dump battery acid in my ears and clean this unnatural noise from them.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
ferrarimanf355 wrote:

And besides, you can't say with a straight face that that ad didn't pull at your heart strings a little, made you patriotic, made you feel proud that GM is still around, building Corvettes, Camaros, turbo Buick Regals, small-block 350's, and just being awesome.

Same with this Ford Mustang ad. You can't say with a straight face that you can find a better person for that ad than someone who's cooler than anyone that lived, is living, or will live in the future.

It's clever and kinda cool.. but personally I like the old Ford GT superbowl commercial the best out of all so far. It's the least gimmicky, most "pure" car commercial I've seen. IMO would've been better without the narration though.

Now WRT the Turbo Regal... sadly not even remotely like the classic Turbo Buick GN/GNX. And it's driving the wrong wheels. Anyways, I like cars. But all of these ads are really no different from Toyota's Miku Corolla quite frankly. From an objective perspective they are all meritless as they all pretty much rely just on a emotion to appeal to a certain type of audience, not that's anything wrong with that per se

Queen_Lolita wrote:
After watching these commercials I started thinking that maybe Hatsune Miku won't just be a Japanese singer anymore. Didn't Yamaha just make a new vocal generator so that they don't have to have a sample voice.
(I don't remember but I thought they did make something like this)Maybe Hatsune Miku will enter in the American market. Why else would they feature a car after a CGI J-Pop Singer.

Crypton Media makes the Miku and co. Vocaloids, but there are others Vocaloids made by other developers using the same Yamaha engine for English voices that sound very good
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hahaha. I love how you yanks like to emphasise the vowels, "HasUne -- MEEkU".

Could be worse. Some country could unwittingly through in a ton of unnecessary "u" letters in her name and guess her weight in stones.
Twisted Evil
Crypton has her listed stats as weighting 42kg. that's 6st. 8.6lbs, cheeky boy. Razz

Quote:
As for the topic: Is that how she sounds?

I am so thankful figures don't speak. I could have gone the rest of my life without hearing that.
You have to remember this is a synthisised reproduction of a sampled human voice. the Human was Fujita Saki who was 16 at the time and was the winner of a talent contest held by Crypton Future Media to find the "right" voice. But it also depends on the skill of the musician/player of the vocaloid programme for how good or bad the results sounds, just like any musical instrument, and basically that is what this is, a 21st. Century Stylophone with a voice. We all except Miku is not human, but in the right hands she can sound even better than some human singers. Also Miku isn't the only Vocaloid. There are at least five others from Crypton and a few more from others who's name's have abandoned me at present. Whatever your musical genre that floats your boat there is a vocaloid version you will find on youtube. here is a sample of what she can sound like when in the proper hands, and this one should get you dancing in your chair whilst learning some Japanese. Megurine Luka CV03
Luka and Miku from "that concert"
That song in full with subs
Dreamy TheatreWink
Hope you got good speakers, or headphones. Wink
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I haven't paid much attention to Miku in the past, but recently I've heard several of her songs, and seen a few videos, and while some are better than others I have to admit the good ones are impressive. I'm curious now so I think I'll have to check out more of her stuff. Who knows, maybe I'll become a fan.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
What's with that screech? They couldn't find a better place to start off a song? Anyway, I'd be very surprised to see this on TV during a regular broadcast. I think the avg. person would just be "WTF?" and have no idea what was going on.
Heh, on that note, I'd love to see this air during the superbowl for the reactins alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5