• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop's Garage Sale to Be Held Saturday in L.A.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eri94

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Kogoruhn wrote:
Sale was awesome. They let the people who were waiting in line early (my group got there at 7AM after a 9 hour drive) and the prices were insane. I bought the entire room of Japanese manga (starting at 4:30 in the video) for $50 and they are letting me come back next weekend to pick it up.
50$ for all of that? I'm not really sure I believe you.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Kogoruhn wrote:
Sale was awesome. They let the people who were waiting in line early (my group got there at 7AM after a 9 hour drive) and the prices were insane. I bought the entire room of Japanese manga (starting at 4:30 in the video) for $50 and they are letting me come back next weekend to pick it up.
Hey, if it's like any other garage sale, I'm sure bargaining can be done. Anime hyper
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Eri94 wrote:
Kogoruhn wrote:
Hey, if it's like any other garage sale, I'm sure bargaining can be done. Anime hyper

Usually near the end, not at the beginning. In the begining, you hold out for as much money as possible, but by the end, you just wanna get rid of the stuff, so you do alot of wheeling and dealing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
Kogoruhn wrote:

I believe the Japanese-language manga was listed as being .25, so if there were anywhere near 200 books he paid about what they were asking.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I should have begged someone to look for my missing volume of Clamp no Kiseki Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I believe I only saw vol. 8 of Clamp no Kiseki. They only had about three or four of the chess sets separately and one book set.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
RisikaFox wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
This sucks. what about all us people who can't go to L.A? Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

We don't matter. But that' okay, it saves them shipping fees. =D

And workers' pay. Laughing

Stu gotta leave with a sizeable Golden Para......erm, I mean Severance Pay.

Of course. enough to cover his fancy mansion with all the Princess Ai crap that he wants. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
]

Stu gotta leave with a sizeable Golden Para......erm, I mean Severance Pay.

Of course. enough to cover his fancy mansion with all the Princess Ai crap that he wants. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wouldn't it be easier to just build a new mansion with all those leftover Princess Ai books?
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just build a new mansion with all those leftover Princess Ai books?

Nah, then if the house goes up in smoke, then he can't collect on the home insurance policy.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Argh! I'm pissed!
I live in LA, and I wanted to go to the garage sale and I was constantly checking their stupid facebook page and it kept saying come we'll post the date later, and thanks to that I missed it!
Oh well, at least I know that what I was really hoping to get wasn't available, which was the CLAMP no Kiseki vol 2, since I'm missing the Watanuki piece....
But still, I kinda wanted to experience that!
Stupid Tokyopop!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Eri94 wrote:
Kogoruhn wrote:

I believe the Japanese-language manga was listed as being .25, so if there were anywhere near 200 books he paid about what they were asking.

Frankly that's pretty dumb to sell for THAT low. Well, I guess it's not worth people's time to do anything else.

Considering all that manga is "relatively" new (not like, from the 80s), and probably hardly even read since they probably free samples from licensers, you could take all those books and carry them to the local LA Book Off and sell them there fore 50 cents to even $1-2 a piece!

Before I moved to Japanese I sold off most of my japanese langauge (and english language) manga in LA, so I'd know.

If he plays his cards right, at least in LA you could easily make that $50 back and more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3