• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rising Star Finalist Accused of Plagiarism

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silentjay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Haru to Ashura wrote:
What is tokyopop doing to remedy this? Anything at all?
I was going to ask why it's still up for voting and been taken off and cross-examined or anything, but since this piece of news came out today, we'll give them until tomorrow. It probably won't find it's way into the RSoM 6.

Give them until Monday, as it is Friday after all.
cel2001

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sad. I mean, isn't the point to try to do something creative yourself (noting to myself as I type that line, that for some people it obviously isn't the point, since art of plagiarism is obviously doing quite well -- or poorly, if getting caught is any indication Smile.

Ripping off the kinds of iconic poses that this Rising Star finalist did is weak pretty damn weak.

Chris
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
...you know, maybe it's just me, but I do not want to jump to any conclusions based on what some random person on LiveJournal has claimed. As of right now, there really is no way to tell whether the accuser has some kind of personal connection to the artist.

This is *COMPLETELY* my personal opinion, outside from any affiliation with ANN, but I think that using LJ posts as sources really should not be appropriate for the kind of professional news organization that ANN is.

...but of course, well, there's a reason why Chris is the editor, and I'm not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

This is one of Koge donbe's image and you can literally imagine many anime and manga that use a similar style. If I just saw that image and not familar with the title, it would be hard for me to tell who it was done by him.

Em, actually, 1) it was drawn by BH Snow+Clinic, although Sugar was originally designed by Koge Donbo; 2) Koge Donbo-sensei is female, IIRC.

darkhunter wrote:
But then again, I find everything with big eyes, small nose and big head to look really similar.

So you are just like this TV host:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
abruli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Of course it could be that the artist has drawn these images subliminally plagarising the art. Being an artist myself, I sometimes draw pictures and later notice that they resemble some existing artwork I've seen somewhere, but I highly doubt it's the case here. The images are way too similar.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. I'm usually pretty lenient when it comes to omages (the South Park cripple fight scene wouldn't exist without it!), but this is pretty much a clear-cut case of ripping stuff off.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote
yaaaaaaay. if ANN reported it, it's definitely getting him kicked in the head.

The plagiarism is soooo blatant, but the story itself was... something that completely failed to be original. At first, (and many others attest to this) I thought it was going to be a parody because it was so badly written.

Though the plagiarism was clearly, CLEARLY intentional, the creator's complete dearth of originality really makes me think that the poor man didn't even KNOW he was "plagiarizing." But it's the action and not the will that counts... and he deserves a headkick anyway for putting me to sleep.
Gusty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...you know, maybe it's just me, but I do not want to jump to any conclusions based on what some random person on LiveJournal has claimed. As of right now, there really is no way to tell whether the accuser has some kind of personal connection to the artist.

Not sure what the source has to do with this. All we need to do is confirm that the examples given are from the works they're said to be from. If one example is Blade of the Immortal and the other is indeed Zombie Samurai, then it's painfully clear one is copied from the other. This isn't a matter of "So and so punched a baby in a Walmart! Only I saw it, but I know it happened!". This is something we can see and compare for ourselves.
PandaMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Ok people, lets break it down. There was a recent case where someone accused a mangaka about ripping off Slam Dunk. The manga was discountinued(think it was a Japanese or Korean artist) and Slam Dunk came under pressure also. I see two differences in this case, compared to the Slam Dunk case.

In the Slam Dunk case, people were talking about real images. For instance things like a player going up for a rebound, or taking a last second shot and etc. But in this case, you can notice in a lot of the pictures, that while not a direct "trace job", the scenes had to be influenced by BOTI.

The big disgrepancy for me is the picture of the woman smokeing. If you can look at the picture of the two women, and still not be convinced that if not plagerized the image is HEAVILY influenced by BOTI, then you're either naive or fall into the category that "zomg all anime looks the same anyway".

I usually give the accused party the benifit of doubt. We've all seen cookie cutter movies and video games. If the author didn't copy scenes/characters from BOTI, he used them for influence.

Although one can say that, like in video games, a lot of ideas are out the window, and it's hard to create anything original anymore. But if you enter your work into a contest labeled as "rising star" by a reputable manga company, you should expect it to get looked at.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yet more overeaction to another so called plagerism case. Refrence and plagerism are two different totally different things. I mean c'mon, what about the Tenjou Tenge and Ikkitousen deal?

Tokypop hasn't canceled the Ikkitousen/Battle Vixens manga yet (which is still on-going in Japan from my understanding), even though there have been a number of accusations othat Ikkitousen has plagerized a number of panels from Tenjou Tenge.

Although there was that one manga Tokyopop had and were forced to cancel due to plagerisim...but ya know. It's f'ed up.
PandaMan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Izlude, did you look at the images? I could buy your explination if a character, or a scene was referenced. Look at something like Cowboy Bebop and other shows, where they reference movies and scenes from movies.

This is the case of someone look at scenes from BOTI, then drawing them with minor alterations and their "style". Again, I could see if one scene was copied, or how to draw certain swords and etc as refernce. But almost 5-6 frames look exteremly similar. I keep getting drawn to the comparison of the women. Minor details seem "copied".

Thats just it though Izlude, Tokyopop most likely can't do anything with it. I mean you have accusations about a manga in Japan. I think the big thing here is the Slam Dunk creator took legal action over the copied scenes. I don't know if Oh Great! has seen the scenes, or cares about them.
renegade_bit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It's sad that someone has to do something like this. C'mon, digital camera's are so cheap these days that almost anyone can buy one for point and shoot photographs to get reference for poses.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

This is *COMPLETELY* my personal opinion, outside from any affiliation with ANN, but I think that using LJ posts as sources really should not be appropriate for the kind of professional news organization that ANN is.

...but of course, well, there's a reason why Chris is the editor, and I'm not.

There's a bi difference between implicitely accepting the word of an LJ and being tipped off to something by an LJ.

If an LJ said "Tokyopop has licensed Cowboy Bebop" then no, I wouldn't accept their word as "source," but I might call Tokyopop and ask if the news was true, or do other related research.

However, if an LJ says "Tokyopop has licensed Cowboy Bebop, her'es the proof" and the proof was convincing and verifiable, then yes, I would accept them as a source.

In this case, the evidense is both convincing (the pictures do look damn similar) and verifiable (by checking the originals).

BUT, we merely wrote that Wahjudi has been accused or plagiarism. We're not in a position, despite the convincing images, to write "Hendra Wahjudi has plagiarized Hiroaki Samura's Blade of the Immortal in Tokyopop Rising Star entry Samurai Zombie."

So yes, the LJ is an acceptable source, with reservation.

There are very few sources that I trust implicitely.

-t
stagedive_25

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I agree with one of the ANN staffers.

In most cases, professional journalism shouldn't use sources from blogs like Live Journal.

Anyone and I mean ANYONE can right someanything on Live Journal.
Izlude

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
PandaMan wrote:
Izlude, did you look at the images? I could buy your explination if a character, or a scene was referenced. Look at something like Cowboy Bebop and other shows, where they reference movies and scenes from movies.

Yeah I saw them. So they are almost identical, but not 100%. It's not plagerism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5