• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Down with the Vic-ness

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
SixGunAlchemist wrote:
Last year, he was asked in his panel about his faith. He told the audience that his own church at home had pretty much ostracized him for doing Fullmetal Alchemist. They felt it wasn't a story that a Christian should do. It basically boiled down to them or the show. He chose the show. He seemed genuinely choked up when telling the audience this. He said he channeled that love into going to all the conventions and being with the fans. If you want to deride him for that, go for it. But that's a sad, pathetic way to go through life

Yet they've still watched it, apparently.

Yeah, I call BS on that story!

Or he could have been telling them about it and they disapproved, or one of them read about it online. It's not like there's some pretty dark stuff right at the forefront of the story that might turn them off on it, or anything, right? Course not...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty sure the guy just heard about how Vic starred in some popular show and saw the word alchemist and the plot of the first two episodes. There is no way outside of actually going to the church to find out if Vic is lying and there is no point in assuming Vic is a liar.
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am pretty sure the guy just heard about how Vic starred in some popular show and saw the word alchemist and the plot of the first two episodes. There is no way outside of actually going to the church to find out if Vic is lying and there is no point in assuming Vic is a liar.

All I'm saying is... The guy has a history of telling lies (like what he said about CLAMP).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote
One lie is a history? And for all we know, he's not 'technically' lying. I'm not sure if he and CLAMP have ever been at the same con or not, but if they were, perhaps they did tell him that...and were just lying to him. 'Oh, yeah, sure...Fai's totally not really gay, yeah...*clears throat and moves on*'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stardf29

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe CLAMP said Fai's not gay because, to them, there's no such thing as "gay" or "straight"; people just love who they love. You know, the whole Everyone Is Bi thing. Razz
drdr48

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Gyt Kaliba wrote:
One lie is a history? And for all we know, he's not 'technically' lying. I'm not sure if he and CLAMP have ever been at the same con or not, but if they were, perhaps they did tell him that...and were just lying to him. 'Oh, yeah, sure...Fai's totally not really gay, yeah...*clears throat and moves on*'

There were other stuff too, like when he said that 20th Century Fox asked Funimation for guidance and help when they were making Dragonball Evolution and Funimation turned them down because the movie looked so terrible. Now sure, the movie was bad and all, but do you really think Funimation would turn down an offer to help with a big Hollywood movie (no matter how bad it looked)? I doubt it.
Like wise I really doubt that 20th Century Fox even tried to ask Funimation for help with the film.

Last edited by drdr48 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really in a position to comment on Vic's character or lack thereof, or whether he is a liar. But speaking as someone who was raised Christian, has been around a bunch of Christians of various types throughout his life, and still considers himself Christian... that Fullmetal Alchemist story is completely believable. I don't find anything odd about it at all, unfortunately.

Or do people call BS on all the stories of Christians denouncing the Harry Potter books because if they complained that somehow meant "they read the books anyways"? Or when Christians complained about Dungeons & Dragons? Or anything else Christians have complained about? And not just Christians. It's not like people always (or even usually) take the time to fully understand something before criticizing it.

So yah, Vic could be lying about that story. Then again, if he says he ate pancakes for breakfast, he could be lying. I call BS. Maybe he had waffles instead.

What I'm saying is that story is so sadly typical of the behavior of some Christians I see no reason to particularly doubt it. Unless you just automatically assume every single thing Vic says is a lie.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I know Vic is a very polarizing figure, but I have to admit, I agree with him on a lot of the things he said about his faith.

I come from a very conservative Christian family, and I've been going to church all of my life, and he certainly hits on a lot of the issues that the preacher at my church brings out.

Many people in the past have indeed been burned by supposedly Christian people, who had the whole, holier than thou sort of attitude, those people do exist. But the majority of true Christians simply don't believe that way.

Christianity really is about love, that's the core belief. There's a lot more to it than that, but that really is what its all about. His conversation about some people at cons being people who are made fun of throughout the year, and are only comfortable at conventions is certainly true.

I've been to a convention where Vic was in attendance and I wanted to attend his church service but wasn't able to get to the hall in time, its true he doesn't push it on anyone. The people who attend his services are either doing it for the religious aspect, or doing it for the chance to see Vic some more, and either way you look at it, they will be fulfilled. Either they get their service or they get to see Vic. People who don't want to attend are not required to, but if he uses his fandom to get people to go to church, then why not? He could be using it like many other celebrities who get their fans into drugs, or unhealthy eating habits.

There is a big difference between the two, but it all boils down to people using their fame to try and spread something they like, whether its purely an act, or how they really feel is purely up for speculation, but its entirely up to the person to either accept their ideas or shun them.

Anyway you look at it, religion is very polarizing, and while many people make fun of it or look down upon, there are just as many people who practice them. If people on both sides of the argument were accepting of the others beliefs then there would be a whole lot less arguing on the net and in real life.

There are people on both sides of the argument who force their ideas on other people, whether they intend to or not.

Anyway, I give Vic props for not being afraid to discuss his religion, and for bringing up several good points in the process. Even if you don't like him, for whatever reason, you can probably respect him and his belief set.
Kiraofthesky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
ah........christ
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome, my sisters and I actually did learn our morals from Star Trek!

As for Vic's interview, it hasn't given any points for him, didn't detract really either, my opinion is the pretty much the same. However, I don't necessarily trust/like people who try to cast themselves in an uber positive light and try to be oh so polite about pointing fingers and playing victim. It kind of felt toward the end the faith question that it was his gimmick, Vic the Victim well actually more like Vic the Martyr. Still like him as a voice actor (except I'm not fond of his Tamaki, sorry Vic). New thing I learned though, I have been pronouncng his last name wrong this entire time.

Now the religious stuff...politics (well party affiliation anyway) and religion are hot buttons that can start a verbal fist fight pretty quick and I don't feel have a place at anime conventions. There's already enough stuff that can divide fans within the industry itself, let's not add to it!

On a side note, after the fifth mention of "spread the love" I began to think about Futurama and its movie Beast with a Billon Backs. Spread the love, Baby. Wink
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I very disappointed that the issue of Vic's homophobia was never brought up. It's a huge omission.

I don't know what this even refers to but after everything he said on that podcast, it's incredible to me you require a point blank question that amounts to "So Vic, are you a hateful person or not?", which to me would have been both gauche and completely unnecessary. If you can sit through that hour and not understand, I don't think further commentary is going to help you. I'd sit through that second half hour again and really listen this time.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Vic is awesome.a great VA and a great person.
Draneor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I don't know what this even refers to but after everything he said on that podcast, it's incredible to me you require a point blank question that amounts to "So Vic, are you a hateful person or not?", which to me would have been both gauche and completely unnecessary. If you can sit through that hour and not understand, I don't think further commentary is going to help you. I'd sit through that second half hour again and really listen this time.

In that he mentioned other VAs pushing their "sexual beliefs" at cons, I think it was a valid follow up question regarding what he means by that. I don't know his heart, but I do know code.

I think it's great that he's accepting of people that dye their hair, pierce themselves, or dress in black. However, there's something more fundamental he did not address. That's what I felt was missing from his message.
Chibi Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
This was fascinating... Great show! As a longtime fan of both Vic and ANNcast, I was left a bit uncomfortable at times. I was downright nervous to have these two things meet since I don't want to take sides. Honestly, I applaud everyone involved. It wasn't an easy interview, but it was real. I've read quite a few fluffy Vic Mignogna interviews over the years. This one went for some touchy subjects, and I think that makes it one of the best.

I can understand Vic's defensiveness. Maybe it isn't 100% justified, but I can empathize. I have read some vicious things over the years, and they have strained me as a fan. I recall an incident when my mom asked if a line at a convention was Vic's line. The girl quickly replied that Vic was an asshole. Now, that is hardly persecution of his fans, but it left me feeling quite embarrassed. I must admit, I am a Risembool Ranger although I consider myself to be one of the older, more subdued, and outright shy members of the group. There was a time when I was anxious about wearing a Ranger shirt at cons because I didn't want that hate. I was one of those lonely outcast kids that Vic talked about. I didn't want that at cons. Perhaps this is oversensitive of me.

I know all the rumors about Vic, but I can personally say that he has helped and encouraged me. Not even all of it is about religion. As a teenager, he was one of the first people who I met who loved their work. It may sound strange to look up to a voice actor, but when you're a lost teen and you have troubling stuff in your life, it is easy to turn to that random guy with the welcoming heart who does something you love.

There is more I could say, but I hope this post added something to the conversation. I hope I don't sound like a blind fangirl, but I have a hard time saying negative things about anyone. That said, negative comments can be great. I don't want to add to that trend of forced positivity that Zac hates...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Like how we have some Clamp mind readers, that know what Clamp has or hasn't said.

Or passing conjectured lying theories as fact.

Never met Vic, but I haven't had any problem with his FMA role.

Just curious, but is there really a fandom for American cartoon voice actors, who aren't already Hollywood or TV celebrities. I have never heard of one, but that doesn't mean anything, and have always assumed that anime English VA fandom, was just an anime thing, along with the Japanese VA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14