• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evagelion...dvds...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squall2600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
there are so many dvds which is best to buy the series and movies all uncut and whats with the director's cut
Fui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
They just came out with a great Thinpak for NGE which sells for around $60 I believe at good competing retailers. It contains all 26 episodes in a nice thinpak box set. It's a great deal.
MediaCavern's Offer

There is also the box set available containing all the episodes.
Bestbuy's Offer

Last edited by Fui on Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Squall2600

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
thanks for the help

and are the movies remastered on it or not
squeakyL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
the movies are relatively recent, so they have not been touched up like the series has. It really is just a repackaging of the two movies into a single set.
cecilbdemented

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I've heard of Eva since I became an otaku but never really thought that anything with that much hype could be good (see 99.9% of all sequels for my reasoning). Having seen it on [adult swim], (smartest thing ADV has ever done, letting Eva go) I went out and bought ADV's Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Complete Collection, and I love it. See, back in 2004, in preparation for the tenth anniversary of Evangelion, GAINAX did a Spielberg/Lucas-esque re-mastering of the entire series. Unlike Steve and George, however, they didn't bastardize the project by adding in a CGI Kaji into the early episodes, changing that scene so Gendo shoots and misses Shinji first in the bar, changing all mentions of "angels" to "hippies," and replacing all of the guns with walkie-talkies. Anno and comapny just cleaned up the animation and ADV fixed a few lines and re-recorded it in 5.1 Dolby Digital "Rock-Your-Socks" Sound. That's what they're playing on [as]. It's six discs: discs 1-5 have the original 26 episodes, and disc six has the director's cut with alternate episodes 21-24. For the films, go with Manga Entertainment's box set (why ADV couldn't get the licence to the movies is beyond me). The voices are majoratively the same, and the ones they had to change are done close enough that you probably won't notice. Besides, with the box you get a mousepad and line-art postcard. Why, I'm using the mouse pad right now!
Fui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ah I made a mistake in my first reply. The second link contains only the episodes in the box set, not the movies. You'll have to buy the movies separately if you want to get those as well.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Buy the Platinum edition thinpack for the episodes. The boxset that Fui linked to (BB link) is the original release. You're shooting yourself in the foot if you went out and bought that.

squeakyL wrote:
the movies are relatively recent, so they have not been touched up like the series has.

Actually, the movies were also remastered for Renewal. The remasters of them just hasn't been brought over here.

cecilbdemented wrote:
That's what they're playing on [as].

Last time I checked they most certainly were not. They were airing the original release, unless they switched to plat after the first few eps.
cecilbdemented wrote:
(why ADV couldn't get the licence to the movies is beyond me).

The price Gainax was asking for the movies was way too rich for ADV's blood. If they thought it was economical, don't doubt for an instant they wouldn't have snatched them up.
jkno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
I'd be interested in Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD's (the series plus the 2 movies) but is there a region 2 (Europe) DVD set for sale? And where, what store? Question Thanks. NOT BOOTLEGS please!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1