• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
They ruined the Sekai novels!!!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naitron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
So I had read about how they were using ahb words in the sekai translation. Also how the translations are in the back of the book. I tried to read the book and I got fraustrated. The book has so many ahb words that I don't see how you would not put a translation in (translation) next to the word instead of looking to the index everytime there is an ahb word. I'm waiting hoping they'd release a hardbook version with translations next to the word.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
Most complaints I've heard on the Sekai tanslations have had nothing to do with the Ahb words.... this is a first.

On a positive note, at least you have a translation for the words. I've read many fantasy novels where the made up language (for lack of a better description) is never translated. If it's so frustrating, why don't you try copying the translation page so you don't have to flip to the back?

It can't be that bad that you'd hold out for a version (which will probably never be published) that would make things easier for you. Rolling Eyes
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Naitron wrote:
So I had read about how they were using ahb words in the sekai translation. Also how the translations are in the back of the book. I tried to read the book and I got fraustrated. The book has so many ahb words that I don't see how you would not put a translation in (translation) next to the word instead of looking to the index everytime there is an ahb word. I'm waiting hoping they'd release a hardbook version with translations next to the word.

Eh, you're just lazy.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
I haven't gotten around to reading them yet and it seems like it may take a little getting used to, but I don't see it as a problem. I think having a tone of words in parentheses would be as annoying if not more so.
Kelly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
This reminds me of an episode from my youth. Do any other Olduns remember when the movie Dune came out and we were all handed glossary pages as we entered the theatre to watch it? That went over really well...

Don't worry Naitron. You'll flip back and forth a few times and then get the hang of it. It's part of being a sci-fi/fantasy fan.
Naitron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the novels came out. I'm a big fan of the Sekai series. If i'm lazy because I don't feel like flipping to the back a hundred times to figure out what a word means than well I'm lazy than.

I guess I could always just rip the pages out in the back and make a little mini translations book :p At least it's pretty cheap only $8.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1