• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Wake Up With the Count

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:28 am Reply with quote
yeah...you wouldn't believe the size of that freakin thing...it was big enough to eat a small child for real....i give real props to the person who is actually bought the sucker and ate it....i hate to be the person who's gonna do the cooking....

back to complaints....UFO Princess Valkyrie IS a fanboy series but hey, aren't we all just fanboys sometime? the art and character design is gorgeous and there are LOTS of catgirls....how can you NOT like catgirls?

in fact, we need more catgirls these days....i say make a series with nothing but catgirl maids....LOL....and i miss Nuku Nuku that i watch it like every other week....

man...for some reason, i'm missing Devil Hunter Yohko too....be needing to watch that on DVD too...

and i think someone's making a BS...Best Buy not wanting to carry any title that has word "Princess"??!?!! it sounds really fishy with that explanation...

Di Gi Charat Nyo kept getting pushed and pushed back but it's supposed to be this summer...

on to the review of My(ai) Hime and Gundam Seed Destiny!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well, those who read the novel and can't get over the fact that Gankutsuou is not a faithful adaptation.

I would be one of those thank you very much. I mean, for all the complaining I see about dubs not being exact word for word translations of the originals although still maintaining the meaning and focus of the story I would think people would be a bit more understanding. In the case of Gankutsuou it's not only not a faithful adaptation, but it doesn't even keep the intent, feel and focus of the original.

Add to that the fact I really don't like its art style and I just couldn't get into the series. I love the original, and being a dub fan I'm very accepting of minor alterations for the sake of storytelling but the alterations at play here aren't minor. I just don't think it retained the feel of the story, the changes to the characters were too major for a character driven drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I've been wanting to get Bottle Fairy Vol. 2 for a while, but all the Best Buy's I've gone to don't seem to be getting anymore in. Same goes for Vol. 2 & 3 of Doki Doki School Hours, Leave it to Piyoko vol. 1 & 2, and Galaxy Angel A (bought that one online though). Why aren't they supplying me with my cute anime anymore!?

I know! Personally, all the Best Buys I've been to have really rotten anime sections where they don't have anything but the uberpopular stuff (and the occassional Kodocha). Although the closest one to me *did* have Hare+Guu with the box, so I guess I shouldn't complain.... (but let's just see if they actually get the rest of the volumes -_-)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
In respect to Gankutsuou, I agree with mufurc. I am also a HUGE fan of the original novel in all its unabridged exceptionally-long glory. Razz But yes, this anime was really good about getting the 'feel' right. The only major change is the Count's internal conflict. In the novel his struggles were whether he was divinely chosen for vengeance and also with just how much one will do to keep their pride... but he learns the answer when he discovers the death of a child brought into the schemes. In Gankutsuou the situation is different... I won't go into spoilers, but he doesn't really have so much of a choice in the matter in his own case... or think he does at least. And Albert's larger role plays a part in that in a new way. This dehumanizes the Count in the anime to the one in the book but gives him a totally different struggle to overcome.

I personally adore what happened with Franz in the anime though. He had a more active role and proved to be one of those truly selfless characters that rarely seem as believable as he was. If the anime was exactly the same as the novel I would have been far less interested. The story is about suspense over how everything falls into place. Having the same ending would have lacked excitement... it was an adaptation and a very good one imho.

Last edited by scortia on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
Speaking of which... *sigh* ...if I had extra money, catgirls would be mine!

Damn you KH2 and LE Strat. Guide!!

At least I am not the only one. Very Happy

OMG, a hentai that lasts seven volumes.

I need to turn on the Weather Channel, maybe check and see if hell froze over.

On the other hand, I am almost tempted to buy it and have a drinking game with a few buddies. Maybe take a shot every time we hear some cliche dialouge or something.
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say I have really enjoyed Gankutsuou. I haven't read the original novel, but I did see the latest theatrical adaptation. However far off that may have been from the original story, I don't know and frankly don't care (until I actually do read the novel). The movie was great, and I like the parallels between the movie and the anime. It was and interesting move to put it in the future, but as a few of you have already said, it keeps the original feel. The plot has parallels to the original story but separates itself to be something separate and still exciting. They obviously were not trying to make an anime out of the book itself, and I think by putting it in the future they were trying to say exactly that. As an anime roughly based off of the original story I think it is great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ceru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Quote:
Well, those who read the novel and can't get over the fact that Gankutsuou is not a faithful adaptation.

I would be one of those thank you very much. I mean, for all the complaining I see about dubs not being exact word for word translations of the originals although still maintaining the meaning and focus of the story I would think people would be a bit more understanding. In the case of Gankutsuou it's not only not a faithful adaptation, but it doesn't even keep the intent, feel and focus of the original.

Add to that the fact I really don't like its art style and I just couldn't get into the series. I love the original, and being a dub fan I'm very accepting of minor alterations for the sake of storytelling but the alterations at play here aren't minor. I just don't think it retained the feel of the story, the changes to the characters were too major for a character driven drama.

So let me get this straight-- you walk into your local video store, see an anime DVD labelled "Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo" that has a clear image of a Count who has not only fangs and pointed ears but blue skin and green hair, and then you're disappointed when it doesn't follow the novel exactly?

It was never meant to be a direct adaptation. It was meant to have the same names, the same characters, the same basic plot (Edmond's revenge), but it adapted things to tell a different story. Some things were made better, some things were better told in the novel.

As for the art style, to each their own. Personally I thought it was a refreshing change from one-tone cel coloring, but I can see why people would turned off by it too.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight, people despise dubs because they aren't word for word perfect translations? Despite the fact it's a different language and really can't be translated perfectly and retain identical. At least in the case of most dubs the feel and story remains intact but I just didn't feel that Gankutsuou preserved the feel and message in the original story. I dislike dubs that fail in the same manner, such as Akira. I never expected it to follow the novel exactly, I just think it swung too wide and didn't even capture the feel and really only managed the basic plot.

Either way, to be honest I don't think I would have liked the series either way if that makes you feel any better. The art style turned me off somewhat, and the atmosphere and pacing deterred me as well. It's a highly regarded series and I respect that, I simply don't care for it myself, it's obviously not a bad series but with all the problems I found in it I just didn't enjoy it enough for me to consider it a good or great series and finish it. I'm glad you liked it, but I didn't, sorry, but I really shouldn't have to be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:06 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
OMG, a hentai that lasts seven volumes.

I need to turn on the Weather Channel, maybe check and see if hell froze over.

On the other hand, I am almost tempted to buy it and have a drinking game with a few buddies. Maybe take a shot every time we hear some cliche dialouge or something.

Actually... Yakin Byoutou (Anime 18's Night Shift Nurses--not safe for work) is fifteen episodes long and still going strong--which does not include the sequels Yakin Byoutou 2 (NSFW; four OAVs) and Yakin Byoutou 3 (NSFW; three OAVs).

Not that I've watched any of it. :-p To slightly paraphrase Spider Robinson, no former people or former food for me.

Edit: Corrected the spelling "byoutou".

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It’s a shame, because had the series been given a few more episode,

"Episodes" ^_^;

Quote:
Wiggles & giggles & catgirls—oh my!
Whoever wrote that on the back of the DVD deserves to be cudgeled with a silicon breast.

Matt Greenfield, probably, or someone who trained under him. Rumor has it that he wrote the copy for all of the early ADV releases himself—of which this is a good example.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Congratulations to John Maxwell for his... octopus. There's something oddly poetic about the way it's just lying there. Maybe ready to strangle a small child.

This one was great Laughing
I saw a trailer for Daiakuji and like he said it was not very promising. spoiler[His dick must be pretty because he made some girls pussy split.]
Chang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Can we please not turn this into another "complain about the score UFO Princess Valkyrie got" thread?

Chang has returned to say this: Maybe you wouldn't get such complaints if your reviews weren't specifically written to antagonize a statistically significant portion of the anime watching community.

I'm looking at you, editor, and I see no improvement in your site's review style. Mad
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Chang wrote:
Zac wrote:
Can we please not turn this into another "complain about the score UFO Princess Valkyrie got" thread?

Chang has returned to say this: Maybe you wouldn't get such complaints if your reviews weren't specifically written to antagonize a statistically significant portion of the anime watching community.

I'm looking at you, editor, and I see no improvement in your site's review style. Mad

Uh, what?

Our reviews aren't "specifically written" to antagonize anyone at all, they're just reviews.

And how would I "improve" my site's reviews? To better fall in line with your own opinions?
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Chang wrote:

Well, I can see where you're coming from. I mean, I read your previous posts about how a review said Popotan is one of the worst animes ever, I certainly don't agree with that (it isn't even on the top 10 or even top 50 worst so most people don't agree with it either). It really does seem like ANN is against "cute" anime. The thing is, the people here aren't against it, they just often times don't like it. People have different tastes and it's rather obvious some of the reviewers here don't like that kind of anime. That "statistically significant portion of the anime watching community" is really in the minority on this site so I can see why their reviews tend to be the way they are. That's how I see it at least.
Chang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Chang wrote:
Zac wrote:

Uh, what?

Our reviews aren't "specifically written" to antagonize anyone at all, they're just reviews.

And how would I "improve" my site's reviews? To better fall in line with your own opinions?

Uh, you don't remember trading emails with me over this?

The review style of your site polarizes. That's why you get responses like "I agree 100%" or "This review sucks" but little else. You attract those that are likeminded but repell all others with the gross overuse of abusive language in your reviews. AoD gave UFO a mediocre/bad review but without the venom.

It's not the bad ratings that I mind, it's the way in which you handle it. I don't need your reviewers to tell me if something going to rot my brain. All I want from you, or any reviewer, is to tell me of the content so I can decide whether or not I will like it. My preferences may not match your reviewers, so things like "It makes me feel dirty, like someone in the room should be wearing a condom" are extraneous material that no professional should use.

You spout "We're professionals!" All I see are rank amateurs pretending to be professionals. If you can't critique something without resorting to language that'll get a real professional fired, then you seriously need to rethink things.

PantsGoblin wrote:
That "statistically significant portion of the anime watching community" is really in the minority on this site so I can see why their reviews tend to be the way they are. That's how I see it at least.

That may be true, but 41 of 55 ANN users gave UFO a rating of Decent or higher. Given the natural propensity for people to be ten times more likely to complain rather than praise, I find it interesting that this number be so high. For such a supposed minority, that is.

Just because there is a small number, that doesn't mean it isn't statistically significant. And I'm sure they're all rather displeased to be bashed along with the review of a product that they like. Let's face facts; not only are you insulting the product, but also the people who like it. Damaged brain cells, anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4