• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Examinee 623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Mickey Mouse isn't great because he's more of a mascot than a character. Walt Disney said so himself. What makes Mickey seem great is that he's usually complemented by Goofy and Donald Duck.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
god i love Ishihara. every time he opens his mouth, something comes out that will be quoted by everyone.
dmanjdb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote
That Shintaro Ishihara looks (on the Wikipedia site) like horrible person. How people voted for a guy like that?!?!?!

Otakus don't vote I guess.

Did he get booed when he said that?
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote
As a character he is no less capable than any other, you need only watch old Mickey cartoons to see the character function and work on his own. He's a kids character, so no he's not incredibly fleshed out with a major backstory and drama surrounding his actions, he's there to entertain and that's what he does and there is no shortage of anime characters on that same level.

Besides, it's not so much his comments but rather the fact you can add this on to a pretty long list of similarly closed-minded, near racist comments from this individual. Then to top it off with a statement that people of his ancestry are inherently more skilled is a bit of a ludicrous statement, I fear geography and culture doesn't cause one to be born with a greater array of skills and genetic traits that would facilitate such a thing are not race specific.

I'm not going to know someones right to freedom of expression either, but I'm also not going to ignore openly racist comments from a public speaker. Luckily most Japanese don't buy into it, the same way most Americans don't buy into our extremists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ceru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:40 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
Doesn't he know that Osamu Tezuka said his inpiration was from Walt Disney?

I remember him one time dissed French because it has too many way to count depends on what the item is.

And Japanese has exact SAME scheme. Counting sheets of paper is different from counting coins.

O_o.
In French you count things the same way you count them in English... "one, two, three" ("un, deux, trois"). I can't think of a single incident where it'd be different.

Beyond that, the man is clearly an ignoramus anyway.
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It's no matter... Mickey is already spying on Ishihara and will open a keyblade of arse-kicking upon him for his treachery. >P
Futurhythm

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Besides, it's not so much his comments but rather the fact you can add this on to a pretty long list of similarly closed-minded, near racist comments from this individual. Then to top it off with a statement that people of his ancestry are inherently more skilled is a bit of a ludicrous statement, I fear geography and culture doesn't cause one to be born with a greater array of skills and genetic traits that would facilitate such a thing are not race specific.

Exactly, besides wasn't it proven lately that there is no such thing as race and that it was just something that has been constructed during all this time?

-----------------

Quote:
"He has nothing like the unique sensibility that Japan has. The Japanese are inherently skilled at visual expression and detailed work."

The Japanese sensibilities towards art are hugely different to those of the West. I don't think either one is less detailed than the other but they are indeed different. Besides, detail doesn't mean something is better.

This outburst is just another unjustified piece of stupidity to be uttered by Japan's favorite governor Ishihara. I think we're taking the things this guy says way too seriously. Unless he manages to pass a bill in which he is allowed to brainwash every single (Japanese) person on the planet to believe in the things his says dogmatically, I think the world can rest easy another day.
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
Doesn't he know that Osamu Tezuka said his inpiration was from Walt Disney?

I remember him one time dissed French because it has too many way to count depends on what the item is.

And Japanese has exact SAME scheme. Counting sheets of paper is different from counting coins.

XDDD That'd be pretty funny, because while Japanese does have that scheme, French does not.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Hahahaha! This guy pretty much sounds like many anime elitists I've encountered in the past.

I bet they'd get along with him very well. Or not. At all.
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Ah, arrogance coupled with ignorance what a potent combination. I support freedom of speech, but man if you are going to say something at least have the facts right. Its fair to say that Mickey lacks Japanese sensibilities, because, he's American. By the same token you could say that Astro Boy, and by descent most anime, has some American sensibilties. Its pretty well known that Osamu Tezuka was largely inspired by Walt Disney, so that is my logic on it.
Lampbane

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:57 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
hahaha. Well in his defense Mickey Mouse isn't that relevant anymore. How many kids watch Mickey Mouse now? Seriously I doubt any child does.

It's not Mickey's fault Disney doesn't make many cartoons with him anymore or even shows them.

Don't be hatin'.
Flipnofunk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote
sooner or later the governator might say he hates doraemon?
j/k
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Better watch out, better not cry. Better not pout because I'm tellin' you why, Mickey Mouse is coming to kick you while your sleeping and shoot you in the head. Then he's going to cut you and throw you into the Ganges.

C'mon man. Mickey Mouse is a symbol for animation everywhere. He was one of the first cartoons ever. You can't just diss him like that. Walt Disney created him back in the 50's or whenever, and Mickey Mouse has been inspiration everywhere for animators.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I believe someone said it already but come on, Astro Boy was inspired by Mickey Mouse. :/
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:08 pm Reply with quote
dmanjdb wrote:
That Shintaro Ishihara looks (on the Wikipedia site) like horrible person. How people voted for a guy like that?!?!?!

Nobody voted for him, they voted for his party. Parliamentary democracy lol.

dmanjdb wrote:
Otakus don't vote I guess.

Probably not, but how many of them are there, anyway?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8