• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 am Reply with quote
What's the matter, my fellow American fans? The complete special edition here in Taiwan costs NT$700 x 8 boxes (8 DVD + 8 CD) = NT$5,600 (US$169.18), and the monthly income of my current full-time job is less than my graduate school stipend ("45% of a full-time research assistant") back when I was in the 'States. Japanese fans (who have roughly the same income level as Americans) have to pay ¥6,930 x 8 boxes = ¥55,440 (US$458.33), so quit whining.

(Prices are MSRP (list), not discounted)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
d.yaro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
$40 a pop, $120 total for 14 episodes... no, no matter which way I look at it, it's an insane amount of money for that amount of content.

Less than $10 per episode? Cheap. I came across an R2 DVD for another series with two 13 minutes episodes padded to approximately 30 minutes of content listed at ¥5500. That's running close to $60. I could phone Japan on my cell phone and get a better rate on dollar per minutes worth of content. The Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu LE R2 DVDs were listed for ¥6600 a pop with the regular edition R2 DVDs at ¥5600. That ¥1000 difference in price sure as heck didn't result in the extras they're suggesting for the R1 special editions. The list of extras they've suggested look like they're throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. My damage for purchasing this series was ¥31600 (I received two limited edition DVDs as gifts) plus shipping, foreign currency exchange on my credit card and excise taxes and duties. As The Pretenders once said, "Stop Your Sobbing".

I was just trying to imagine the high level overview of negotiations between Bandai(US) and Kadokawa reps (taking place in a nice restaurant of course):
B - We have a lot of US fans clammering for the show to be released on DVDs in the US with the episodes in broadcast order...
K - "Broadcast order"? For a show that hasn't been broadcast in the US? Oh... I see, that problem again. (Smiles, orders another beer on the Bandai guy's tab)
Smile
Nom_Anor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
I am personally probably going to buy the fancy versions, then sell off the normal order disks to someone else(either my friends, or ebay, or something)
omnistry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
Look at the positive side: The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 will be the first episode you watch on either release. I feel that this was the most important episode to begin with.
kolibri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:19 am Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
Less than $10 per episode? Cheap.

...and this is why the SEs will sell Wink

I was debating with my husband last night if Haruhi fans were fanatic enough to go for this, but I guess they will be - his first reaction was same as mine, no way we'll be buying those... I still can't believe I've been smitten down even suggesting that the price is too steep Smile I understand we're really lucky to get the broadcast order at all, I understand Kadokawa had to fight for it, I understand the DVDs are much more expensive elsewhere. And I've never complained about anime prices before this, ever. I don't mind collecting long(ish) series like FMA or Eureka 7 on 13 DVDs and paying premium for each disk - if the series is good enough, sure I'll pay.

But still I think they are too expensive, and I'm disgusted at myself for planning to buy them anyway. It's just IMHO of course, I'm in the minority obviously so I'll just shut up now.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I sure as hell wouldn't pay $120-$160 for just the show, but that's a lot of extra crap. I'm an LE/Box whore anyway, so considering all the extra content, I can justify spending that much on Haruhi.
QFT.

I'm exactly the same. The words "Limited Edition" and "Extras" are like mystical spells that warp my ability to keep my wallet shut. Heck, just as soon as I have a little cash ready again, I'm pre-ordering the first LE.

Personally, the broadcast order vs. chronological order thing is a non-issue. I just want all those extras. (Who knows, I might sell the broadcast discs.)

Merely having the oportunity to buy Haruhi is making me happy and I love the cast they've put together for the dub. The art box looks fantastic and the extras are really making me drool. The price doesn't bother me at all.

I've spent a lot more on season sets of live action shows. Considering that I've pretty much stopped watching live action entirely in favor of anime, you can quess that I'd rather spend that money on something I'll really enjoy. Like Haruhi.
DKong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ok, guys who care so goddamn much about the lack of a broadcast order:
If you have the 4 regular DVDs in chronological order, this is how you'd have to pop in DVDs in order to watch in broadcast order.

1. Pop in regular disk 1 and watch the first 3 eps
2. Pop in disk 2 and watch ep 4
3. Pop in disk 1 to watch ep 5
4. Pop in disk 3 to watch eps 6, 7, and 8
5. pop in disk 4 to wach ep 9
6. pop in disk 2 to watch ep 10
7. pop in disk 4 to watch eps 11 and 12
8. pop in disk 2 to watch eps 13 and 14

All in all, it's more work than just putting in SE dvd 1 for first 5 eps in broadcast order, then dvd 2 for the next 5, then dvd 3 for the last 4....but it'll save you a LOT of money in the long run....so I can justify 8 disk changes in favor of saving a boatload of money.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, the LE of the first volume is up on TRSI and I preordered it. It's about $49 before the GotAnime discount (which brings it down to about $45). Not bad, I'd say. I'm hoping there will be a Bandai sale between now and when it ships that can be applied after the fact, but no big deal if that can't be done.

Quote:
A lot of people are getting hung up on the 69.99/59.99 prices for the SE which I have already mentioned after pre-order and sales prices online we will not be paying, but those are not the only sets that will be available.

Even if you had to hunt for it at a Best Buy or some other B&M store, it would still be below retail at most places. I would expect the first LEto go for about $45-50 at Best Buy or SunCoast/FYE (for the first week, when they usually sell it around the BB price; after that, it would sell for retail). I'd expect the remaining volumes to be in the $40-45 range.

Also, the first LE is $64.98, not $69.99. AnimeOnline, who initially broke the news, made an error on the price.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I will go ahead and QFT what HitokiriShadow said to. I don't think I would buy just the show for $120-$160 but it has all those extras (I personally wouldn't mind the pillow for me or for a birthday present for my cousin...hmm a birth day present does sound like a good Idea).

Richard J. wrote:
The words "Limited Edition" and "Extras" are like mystical spells that warp my ability to keep my wallet shut.

Unfortunatly it is those mystical spells that put me in the postion of eating nothing but ramen and various soups every day. Laughing
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
From ASOS Brigade

Quote:
February 25, 2007 2230 PST
What is up with that cat's voice?! That doesn't sound like what a proper japanese cat should in english! I DEMAND A NEW VOICE FOR THE CAT!!! It appears I'm going to have to visit the studio and direct these episodes myself!

They're recasting Shamisen? Or what?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
No idea. I don't think the cat appears beyond Episode 00 and he only has a single line even there. I suspect they are poking fun at people nitpicking 'little things' and talking about how it should have been done.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
The words "Limited Edition" and "Extras" are like mystical spells that warp my ability to keep my wallet shut.

Unfortunatly it is those mystical spells that put me in the postion of eating nothing but ramen and various soups every day. Laughing
I need to lose some weight anyway. Wink

I'm going to pre-order from Anime Corner. TRSI has it a little cheaper if you have the "Got Anime" card, but I've had a few issues with them getting things to me in a timely manner and I don't want to risk any backorder nonesense. And extra two or three bucks is a small price to pay for complete certainty that it will absolutely reach me.
DKong

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:24 pm Reply with quote
But watch out for the sodium in ramen!

Anyways, thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna preorder it ASAP. Right Stuf ships REALLY fast from what I've experianced. My Evangelion boxset took like 3 days to get here...I was happy.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
but I've had a few issues with them getting things to me in a timely manner and I don't want to risk any backorder nonesense.

The only issues I've had in getting things "in a timely manner" seem to be a result of when they get their shippens from the suppliers. That aside, there won't be any 'backorder' issues with the LEs. Once they are gone, they are gone, there are no backorders. Wink

Bandai will make 20,000 of the LEs and that's it. According to Shawn Kleckner (a.k.a. the Dark Lord), they have ordered a "sizable percentage" of it but they are selling fast.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Just a quick question: is there going to be a box that'll go with the regular DVDs? I'm not too interested in paying that much for the special editions, but I'd really like a box, especially one that pretty.... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 95 of 213