• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Any Russian speaker willing to sub this fan video of Haruhi cosplayers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The Tormented

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the character design is done spectacularly. I hope I would really like this anime. Right now, I am extremely uncertain if this is a comedy, romance, drama or whatsoever.

I have always enjoyed animes similar to Please Teacher! and Please Twins! thanks to the voice actors of Los Angeles and the fact from various romantic and dramatic scenes. Question
Twilight's Chapter 13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote
The Tormented wrote:
Looks like the character design is done spectacularly. I hope I would really like this anime. Right now, I am extremely uncertain if this is a comedy, romance, drama or whatsoever.

It is... in fact, all three and more...plus Sci-fi etc. Try wiki when you're going to watch a new anime.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The romance aspect is a little more in the background. The episodes: Melancholy 1-6 are tilted more towards drama, as are Mysterique Sign and the Lone Island Syndrome spoiler[(with a twist)] episodes, while Adventures of Mikuru, and Boredom are mainly comedy. Live A Live and Day of Sagitareus are a blend of comedy and action. Then to cap it off, Someday in the Rain is slice of life.
Overall, though, I'd say it's a comedy, though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi's one of the few shows that really can't be pinned down by genre. It's everything and a bag of chips.

Out of a twisted need to use my love of anime/manga/Japanese culture to my educational advantage, I'm using Haruhi as part of a presentation I'll be doing in a course on Middle Eastern Politics. The photo from the Gaza Strip inspired me and I've actually figured out a rather interesting way to integrate it. I'm thinking of including a little "go here to learn more" bit on a handout so perhaps I can cause a few to convert to Haruhism. Wink Cool

This will mark the third time I've used Japan-centric things in a school project. (First time was a paper for International Terrorism on the Aum Shinrikyo group and the second a paper on Japan's legal system.)

Can you say otaku? Wink
The Tormented

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Twilight's Chapter 13 wrote:
The Tormented wrote:

It is... in fact, all three and more...plus Sci-fi etc. Try wiki when you're going to watch a new anime.

Oh good. It's just after watching Please Teacher! and Please Twins!, I wanted to find another anime with these genres and the English-speaking voice actors from various parts of Los Angeles, California. My type of anime. Unlike many I've heard of, they always hire ones from Texas, Canada and New York. Those destroy the fun in my reason to watching certain animes as I am a huge fan of many anime voice actors of LA including Kari Wahlgren, Wendee Lee, Kate Higgins, Bridget Hoffman, Michelle Ruff, Sandy Fox, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and etc. With these examples of my voice talents as my favorites, many do not seem to be credited for various video games due to the rules of crediting English voice actors in certain games. And with this info, I hope The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya turns out just fine. By the way, is Lucky Star a sequel to this anime? Question
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 am Reply with quote
Lucky star is a completely different anime, produced and animated by the same studio that did Haruhi. They have some references of Haruhi in it, since it's a reference they don't need to get the rights to, but that's it.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
Vortextk wrote:
They have some references of Haruhi in it

Some? Rolling Eyes

Lucky Star is basically a well-made animated commercial for Kadokawa, and you have to pay in order to watch that commercial. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vortextk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:15 am Reply with quote
Some, a lot, a ton, either way it's not the same show or related by story/characters so the word used doesn't really matter.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Lucky Star is basically a well-made animated commercial for Kadokawa, and you have to pay in order to watch that commercial. Twisted Evil
Who cares as long as it's a fun ride! Cool (I haven't actually seen it but I have a feeling I'll like it a lot. It just seems like my kind of show.)
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
i´m watching lucky star right now and i can tell you its just silly, thts the only word i can use to describe it. Dont get me wrong its all good, i use it to take a break from the more serious anime.

Back to topic, i heard somewhere that there would be a second season to haruhi if its true then i´m looking foreward to it, but on a more important note... Where on earth can i buy the manga, i´ve searched all over and either its sold out or i have to pay s*it loads off fees for import goods Mad very pissed of right now
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:38 am Reply with quote
sanbyaku wrote:
Back to topic, i heard somewhere that there would be a second season to haruhi if its true then i´m looking foreward to it

That was actually announced quite a while ago. It is indeed true. Cool

Quote:
Where on earth can i buy the manga, i´ve searched all over and either its sold out or i have to pay s*it loads off fees for import goods Mad very pissed of right now

There's no official American release, sadly.
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:

Er, i´m british Cool but i suppose if there is no american release then there mis definitely no english one, even if there was only an american one i could get it easy since i have friends there, pity.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
sanbyaku wrote:
Veoryn87 wrote:

Er, i´m british Cool but i suppose if there is no american release then there mis definitely no english one, even if there was only an american one i could get it easy since i have friends there, pity.

Hard to tell where people are from on the internet. Wink But I had a strong feeling you'd tell me that. >.<
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
under the picture of lucy´s eye it says were i´m from, altho it looks like i´m one of the few coherently post their location, not to worry!!! i´ll scour the internt for a box set or something xd i gotta be able to buy it somewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 146 of 213