• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
Why does Kyon of Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya dislike his name, what's the deal exactly, anyone know ?
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:37 am Reply with quote
Kyon is just a nickname, which everyone has taken to calling him; we haven't found out what his real name is, though he'd probably prefer it if people would use it.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote
Oh I see so it isn't even his real name. Does it mean something in Japanese ? I remember in Gate Keepers Shun called Ruriko ... umm... Rurippe (?), which I guess meant some kind of runny nose...heh.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
By the way, Kyon would be me. My aunt was the one who first called me that. A few years ago, my long-time-no-see aunt suddenly said to me, "My goodness, Kyon has grown so big!" My sister thought it was funny and also started to call me Kyon. After that the rest is history— my friends, upon hearing my sister calling me Kyon, decided to follow her lead. From that day on, my nickname became Kyon. Damn it, my sister used to call me "Onii-chan"!
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
I wonder why his aunt would call him that, perhaps she just got his name wrong ?
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
"Kyon's nickname might come from κύων / kýōn, Ancient Greek for "dog", from where the word "cynic" may come from. Another possibility: Haruhi in the novels loves the story of Tanabata, involving a romance between a man and a woman separated and only allowed to meet once a year; the Korean name for the man can be romanized as 'Kyonu'"

"Kyon is also Hindi for "Why?"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuzumiyaHaruhi?from=Main.TheMelancholyOfHaruhiSuzumiya
tankerboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I, too, am puzzled about "new character designs". What would constitute a new design? What would be changed and how and why? I can't imagine any "improvement" that would be justified.

And as for a "recap" what's wrong with the six parts that were directly related to "Melancholy" in the first series serving as a recap?

I dunno, it sounds like a lot a "improving" may be going on - gives me a queasy feeling.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Why exactly would they tweak the character designs anyway? It is from the same studio right, Kyoto? Don't fix something that's not broken. Confused
Cross Ward

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Before I can check this anime out, I need to know if this anime will contain anything disturbing or inappropriate that might possibly include constant harrassment deemed unfunny? If that's the case, I could change my mind and not want to check out this anime if it turns out wrong. I also really hope this anime contains no strong sexual content because I'm not going to bother with this anime if it does. Seriously, I have to make a careful decision before checking an anime out.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:09 am Reply with quote
Cross Ward wrote:
Before I can check this anime out, I need to know if this anime will contain anything disturbing or inappropriate that might possibly include constant harrassment deemed unfunny? If that's the case, I could change my mind and not want to check out this anime if it turns out wrong. I also really hope this anime contains no strong sexual content because I'm not going to bother with this anime if it does. Seriously, I have to make a careful decision before checking an anime out.

About the worst you get is the INFERENCE that Asahina is having her clothes removed. There really isn't any "strong sexual content", and although Kyon is quite cynical there isn't anything "over the line". It's ok for children, although I don't know that children would get all the jokes. I think you should watch it; does anyone know what it's rated? Probably something close to PG. It's not that kind of series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ikari1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:

If you have a good knowledge of anime and the sorts of fanservice related humor that goes on within anime as standard then this is what I would exspect from the new series as well as the old one. The only scene that might slightly come under innapropriate is a scene involving some implied bad lanugage in the episode where haruhi tries to get a computer and another scene where haruhi comments on the apprent size of asahina's breasts and fondles them to illustrate her point. Basically theres nothing that goes beyond what I feel is an acceptable level of fanservice related humor.

As loing as you dont mind bunny girl costumes then you should be ok. Most of the fanservice realted stuff in Haruhi is not meerly gratuitous anyway but is usually taking the mick out of certain stereotypes in some way. Look past a couple of these examples and you will be ok. Its a great sereis and Kyon's sarcastic and dry sense of humor is a blast.

On the subject of new character designs, . I see no reason why they would want to change the character designs in any way considering the ' If it aint broke dont fix it', approach.
Cross Ward

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Ikari1 wrote:
Quote:

If you have a good knowledge of anime and the sorts of fanservice related humor that goes on within anime as standard then this is what I would exspect from the new series as well as the old one. The only scene that might slightly come under innapropriate is a scene involving some implied bad lanugage in the episode where haruhi tries to get a computer and another scene where haruhi comments on the apprent size of asahina's breasts and fondles them to illustrate her point. Basically theres nothing that goes beyond what I feel is an acceptable level of fanservice related humor.

As loing as you don't mind bunny girl costumes then you should be ok. Most of the fanservice realted stuff in Haruhi is not meerly gratuitous anyway but is usually taking the mick out of certain stereotypes in some way. Look past a couple of these examples and you will be ok. Its a great sereis and Kyon's sarcastic and dry sense of humor is a blast.

On the subject of new character designs, . I see no reason why they would want to change the character designs in any way considering the ' If it aint broke don't fix it', approach.

I see. It's just I would not want to see something of sexual harrassment involving physical beating for tormenting someone pretty much for no reason. But as long as the dialogues and that there are some drama, then it's okay. So you're telling me that this is generally geared towards older teenagers of 13 and up, correct?

Oh, and BTW, looking at the characters including Haruhi Suzumiya, I feel like I recognize that character illustration. IIRC, it turns out to be similar to the ones from .hack//Legend of the Twilight (AKA .hack//Tasogare no udewa densetsu in Japan) for characters such as Shugo Kunisaki, Rena Kunisaki, Reki, Mireille, Ohka and etc. Yes, yes! Now I recall that artwork. Could this anime have character designs by the same person for the illustration of .hack//Legend of the Twilight? Idea
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Well you could always go look up that sort of thing in the anime encyclopedia here if you're curious. It's an expansive and highly informative resource.
tankerboy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:20 am Reply with quote
As far as harassment goes, the only complaints I know of are in regard to the running gag of Haruhi coercing Mikuru into wearing various costumes and "forcing" her into "risque" situations and I have heard and read several complaints about this. - My counter is that Mikuru isn't doing anything she really doesn't want to do. Which is about all you can say without giving much away.spoiler[ I believe in both the anime and novels, Mikuru acts like a hot bodied ditz only for Haruhi's benefit. Her one on one conversations with Kyon are completely different in style and tone.] I would love to read/hear a one on one conversation between Mikuru and Yuki.[/spoiler]
Ikari1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Is anyone, namely the origional person that suggested it, going to ellaborate on what exactly is meant by new character designs. This more than all the other rumors I've heard has made me nervous as there is nothing wrong with them in the first place.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 149 of 213