• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you reading right now? Why?

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yukinon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Wonder Cat Kyuu-chan is so cute and adorable! I like that it’s printed in color, and the cat’s hijinks are quirky and innocent. His owner is loving and indulgent. Reminds me of Yotsuba, but in cat form.
jacheongbi777

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Make Out Bars volumes 1-4 by J. Zaraiyah

So bizarrely outrageous, you can't stop reading-exactly like the depiction of Kakashi with Make Out glued to his hand in Naruto. As pervy as the Perry Sage could possibly get without being unsuitable for minors, although people may argue the content dances over the line between G-rated and adult-which makes it controversial.

Volume five has been said to be released back in January, and it is still not out yet. I'm on at least my tenth time re-reading them, except when my friends happen to "borrow" a volume and forget to mention it. One of those books where it is better to let people experience themselves than try to describe it and ruin it for everyone by accidentally saying too much.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:10 pm Reply with quote
As I was perusing Barnes and Noble last week, many new titles caught my eye. Being the cheapskate that I am (all right, truthfully I am saving up for anime cons this summer AND I'm running out of shelf space for manga as it is) I took pictures of the covers of the ones that intrigued me, saying "okay, I'll check these out online to see if they're
worth buying."

One of these titles was a rather...unorthodox shoujo romance called
"Love and Heart". The boy on the cover was hot so I checked it out.
Yes, that is all you need to get me to pick up the book.
Is the art pretty and/or is there a hot guy on the cover? Laughing

Wow damn. I can't put this series down. Volume 01 was a little iffy but it got really good, REALLY fast. It is a story of a college girl and her yandere roomate/boyfriend. People have likely seen me complain on here: "I don't like yandere love interests". Indeed, I do not. But then I realized every time I hate a yandere character...it's usually because they are a side annoyance trying to ruin my main ship. I never actually read a story from the yandere's POV. Except for maybe Future Diary...and yeah that whole manga is trash lol. There was nothing really great about that one.
"Love and Heart" is a horse of a different color though....

spoiler[This author really knows how to make a twisted yandere boyfriend really likable. See, Haruma-kun used to be Yoh-chan's childhood friend (lol what is it with
yandere and childhood friend tropes!?) anyway, we know they used to be pretty close, we know that Yoh-chan cannot remember this boy for some reason, and we know
Haruma's mother died, presumably by hanging herself when the children were seven years old and the two were forced to separate.]

spoiler[Yoh can't remember him, huh? Uh-huh, I've seen this song and dance before. The situation when a character is SO traumatized that she blocks it out of her memory.
This is actually a pretty realistic response to trauma, so I'm okay with it. It actually does happen to real people. Hell, I think it's happened to me. When I was hospitalized as a teenager, I kept a log and wrote what occured every day. But when I looked at the notebook not that long ago, it was like I was reading someone else's
words. Not mine. What a surreal feeling lol anyway back to the story...]

spoiler[After a long separation, Haruma-kun manages to make his way back to Yoh...and he's now roomates with her. Through a series of events he gets her to fall for him all over again. He wears a Mr. Perfect mask but behind it, he is manipulative as hell...and he's definitely a stalker.

But here's the thing:

Haruma doesn't actually do anything that bad...at least not for me that would cross a personal line. When he DOES do something though, it's normally against really terrible
people who were making Yoh's life...and others a living hell. Whether it's exposing Yoh's ex for cheating on her, an abusive student council president, or a sinister fake friend
who manages to steal every single guy Yoh had her sights on in middle school, Haruma hunts and stalks them all down and gets the SWEETEST revenge you can imagine.
He doesn't actually HURT them, no; just makes them go through public humilation and they deserve no better...and he does this with an unwavering, shit-eating smirk on his
pretty face. I cannot help but LOVE Haruma for this in that "You Magnificent Bastard" kind of way. Who doesn't love to see rotten people with rotten personalities
get their just desserts? I sure as hell do!

"Pretty boy makes everyone who upsets his girl pay for it through trickery, blackmail, and betrayal?"]

OH YEAH. SIGN ME UP FOR THAT. HAHAHAHA.

This raises an interesting question that I've never actually thought of before:

"Is it okay to stalk and socially destroy people when they hurt someone you love?"

Perhaps not....BUT IT SURE IS FUN TO WATCH LOL.

spoiler[Now Yoh has no idea about any of this...though she has a male best friend Touya who (of course) has only now figured out he loves her 'like that' and a female friend who
sees through everything and wants to expose Haruma's dark side. But I'm thinking...."...uh why; those people totally deserved what he did to them, Yoh wants him, and while his
obsession with Yoh is probably not healthy, he's never actually done anything to hurt her? Can't you just leave them alone?"

I think she should. She's got a crush on Touya anyway...who is a perfectly nice guy, sulking in the corner, yet taking his loss like a man instead of trying to get his way.
In case things go south for Haruma, I would be okay with Yoh ending up with Touya. It's rare to find a manga that makes me multi-ship. I can count them on my fingers.
I'm shipping YohxHaruma pretty hard though. They are damn cute, twistedness aside.]

spoiler[My biggest fear when checking out this manga (because I could sense the more mature, dark tones of the story just from looking at the covers was
"Is this...gonna be rapey?"

THE RESOUNDING ANSWER IS NO.

That's kinda unbelievable but I welcome it. IT IS SO REFRESHING. For instance, Yoh gets sorta kidnapped by a jerkwad and he drives out to the middle of nowhere.
Of course I'm thinking "Oh....shit I so don't like where this is going; is he gonna try to violate her?"

No. He tricks her to get out of the car and just leaves her there with a dying cell phone. Which is an asshole thing to do, yes...but it's nowhere near out of my comfort zone.
Praise Chise Kaido. PRAISE HER BRILLIANT MIND.

Speaking of rape, yandere are known for their sexual predatory nature...but Haruma is the most cool-headed, chaste stalker I've ever seen, tbh. There is a very uncomfortable scene
where it looks like he's taking off Yoh's wet clothes while she is sleeping....and it turns how to be a fantasy in his head, with him comically remarking
"No way in hell could I do that; she'd hate me for it." Good. Good boy, Haruma. More points for you. You are not completely delusional and selfish like other yandere. Eat $hit, Yuuno.]

'Love and Heart' has mysterious, eerie mystery feel to it...when it's not being comical. Every single character you're supposed to like is likable, the ones you supposed to hate, are people you loooove to hate as well. I pretty much FLEW through volumes 1-4 and I really can't wait to read volume five.
J0Y-B0Y

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:05 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Read a good manga and want make a comment about it to let others know how you fee? Please let us know what you read and let us know the good, bad and the ugly.

What do you like (or don't) like about the book? It can be license book, scan, other graphic novel and comic books.

Do not List/Spam this thread, post will be reported and deleted.So take some time and put some thought into it

{Am stickying this thread because of its popularity. ~nobahn}

So I was reading Shonan Junai Gumi Cool

And I must say its quite a "must read content", fascinated by GTO anime series it was most likely inevitable for me to not to dive further deep into the story,
I stumbled upon the manga one day last year and it turned out to be a total blast ngl,

The most amazing thing about the story was, It's way too much relatable in my case,
The phase when you jump into your youth where everyday seems like a crazy ride and seeking for love in whatever corner of the world possible, I was totally into the story after a few reads

With Eikichi's school life being started from The Bad Company, I read almost half of Young GTO,

When someone told me about the depth of the stories n lessons in Manga franchise, I thank myself for believing in that nice pal,

GTO being able to change your mindset, Shonan Junai Gumi is much more about the story on how it turned out to be the GTO we know about,

JOY BOY wrote:

Lessons about

Desperate need for love
    Society vs love situations
    Friends vs love situations
    Is love truly worth losing yourself
    Fights and more fights to protect one's manhood

These topics and events give rise to the intellect of Eikichi and enentually gifting us the Greatest Teacher of JAPAN.
Although in GTO anime the role of Danma Ryuji was way too limited and Anime only fans can't understand that Ryuji is one of the best supporting characters ever written, unless they get their hands on the manga,

therefore I suggest to our GTO anime only fans, you must read Shonan Junai Gumi while you can, life's too short and you never know what happens next.

HoneyAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
It's usually not any one thingBut for example - One Punch Man.
And of course it's cool
takobocchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am Reply with quote
I am currently reading "Sousou no Frieren."
I plan to watch the anime later, but I have little hope for it.

I really like how the manga shows the almost eternal life of elves. It is almost impossible for elves to make friends or romantic relationships, because the other races live quite a bit.
In some places, the manga is permeated with such longing and despondency that I want to cry.
It is especially sad when they show frames with the last Frieren's group, and then the next ones in the same place, but with a new one.

I like that manga can show both serious moments and funny simple ones. For example, the case of corpses or situations where the characters just walk around the city, eating delicious food and collecting magical things.

I think everyone should read this manga and maybe it can influence their worldview, making them appreciate every second of their lives more.
mingus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
I recently read 'Berserk' and I must say it's a wild ride! What's good - the world building is incredibly detailed, the characters are complex, and the action is intense. The bad - waiting for new chapters during long breaks is a bit frustrating. The Ugly - The dark and mature themes may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they add depth to the story. Overall, it's a masterpiece with a few minor drawbacks.

"My Brother's Husband" is a heartwarming experience! What's good - the exploration of family dynamics and acceptance is beautifully done, and the characters are endearing. The bad - it's a bit short, leaving you wanting more.
Itachi__Uchiha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently reading An infinite wizard, I think it's a beautiful and unique manhwa, if you know a similar one, please tell me
FishLion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am Reply with quote
@mingus I loved Berserk so much, the way the art portrays the emotional depth of it blows me away.

I started reading Kingdom of Quartz today. It has characters that are earnest and loving going up against horrifying monstrosities. I always love these sorts of stories because putting adorable, idealistic characters against eldritch creatures makes the characters fighting for their friends seem that much more full of heart and the monsters seem extra terrifying. The lush art style really makes the world feel alive and contrasts well with the horrors. Only the first volume has been released, we will have to see if it stays this compelling but for now it is one of my favorite new series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 154 of 154