• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The excellence of Mai-HiMe.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kagutsuchi!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm Reply with quote
ok i lied, i watched up to ep14. or skimmed at least. but come on, the characters and sotry were stereotypical, predictable, unoriginal, cheesy, contrived, not to mention annoying. the plot, wait, where was the plot? the whole series was one big cliche and i'm sure a good chunk of its viewers only watched it because it was a supposed sequel to mai-hime. if the attraction that sergei felt towards arika wasn't enough, how about sergei almost sleeping with his daughter (the fact that nina was a foster daughter is a moot point; does it make it any less disturbing?)? and everytime arika pokes her in the side, nina does that sexual gasp/moan thing, i mean come on. the whole series was done in bad taste; using the HiMe characters arbitrarily and for fanfare.

and if you think an anime is bad, will you sit there and watch every single episode of it? i'm amazed i got up to episode 14, and i only went back to it at the mention of mai making an appearance. one or two or even three episodes doesn't make an anime good or even DECENT. every anime, even the worst one should have a few good parts. Ninja Resurrection is pretty much recognized as garbage, but it had some cool action scenes; does that make it good? come on guys, a good series is jsut that, a SERIES. if u wanna say oh, episodes 17+18 of otome were pretty good, that's fine, but don't switch that and say, Otome was mediocre at best before that but after watching episodes 17+18, it's changed my opinion of the entire series and now i think it's a pretty damn good series. that's a bit much.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Otome was worse. No matter how bad the ending of Mai-HiME was, HiME's plot was much more solid and reasonable compared to Otome. A huge example is Mai vs Arika. Mai actually had legitimate reasons to be in turmoil between being a HiME, loving Tate, and caring for her brother. However, from joining the academy to become an Otome to the very last internal conflict Arika has, it's all based on nothing but whim. None of the internal conflicts Arika had going was clearly explained; it was chaotic and spontaneous. Not to mention Arika having a crush on Sergey out of the blue was one of the most pathetic examples of Otome trying to make a relation with HiME.

As for the endings, I say both were horrible, though I guess it'd completely depend on the person to say whether HiME or Otome was worse. Too subjective to compare.

I guess its an issue of preference, but I LIKED Arika quite a bit. Yes she was a simple clueless girl, but she never pretended to be more. Ultimately Mashiro took center stage as far as character development goes but that was allright IMO.

Also Otome did an excellent job with its world-building, everything feels a lot deeprer and real and I do hope they extend the franchise within this universe. Sergain and Mashiro were awsome and complex characters and even Nina had her moments.

Personally I like twisted endings and hate fan-pandering resets more than anything, so there's just no excuse for HiME since its ending was not there to serve the emotional impact of the story. Fanservice is not art.

Otome ending on the other hand managed to keep things rolling along and gave the show a proper closer. Yes the 17-25 HiME is excellent, but thats a prime meat patty between two pretty rotten buns. Otome is just more cohesive all around.
kagutsuchi!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
wow. i guess my tastes just run different to youse's. i honestly thought - well, actually still do think, that mai-otome was one of the worst anime's i've ever watched, but i'll stop bashing riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight now...
Nirvana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Quote:
The ending was really good though, it had to be one of my favorite endings in an anime of all time.

Are you serious? That ending cheapened the whole bloody thing, I have never seen a worse ending to any anime EVER (and that includes famously mediocre finales like Eva or Hellsing). HiME would have been an 8/10 for me but the ending makes it a 5/10 at best. Its like someone painted a beautiful painting and then made their last stroke into a big red X all across it.

Otome is better.

QFT. I HATED HATED HATED THE ENDING!!! Wow, come on... can anyone see this really happening? I mean, it's been a while since I've seen this, but.... I remember this HAPPY HAPPY SMILE SMILE ending killed the series for me... it was my top 20 anime, but after the last episode, it sunk. And I mean SUNK on my ranking. I will have to say, that the series as a whole was pretty decent, but how could they end it liek this? It's obsurd. The whole emotional setting that viewers were put in the final episodes was mad good, but then they introduced the ending which made everyone happy... that is just horrible to me. My two cents anyway.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
kagutsuchi! wrote:
but come on, the characters and sotry were stereotypical, predictable, unoriginal, cheesy, contrived, not to mention annoying. the plot, wait, where was the plot? the whole series was one big cliche [...] and done in bad taste; using the HiMe characters arbitrarily and for fanservice.

and if you think an anime is bad, will you sit there and watch every single episode of it? i'm amazed i got up to episode 14, and i only went back to it at the mention of mai making an appearance. one or two or even three episodes doesn't make an anime good or even DECENT. if u wanna say oh, episodes 17+18 of otome were pretty good, that's fine, but don't switch that and say, Otome was mediocre at best before that but after watching episodes 17+18, it's changed my opinion of the entire series and now i think it's a pretty damn good series. that's a bit much.

As much as I liked it, even My-Hime had its stereotypical / contrived / sexualized / fanservice moments, so Otome isn't too much worse by comparison imo. And even if I think an anime is bad, I'll either drop it or suffer through it all, just to see where things end up or to make fun of it (Sister Princess, Madlax, Futakoi, Ichigo 100%...) ; I won't skip around. MO 17-18 didn't exactly reverse my opinion of the series--I thought it got better around 7-8 and kept building until 17-18, which is when it jumped to another level in my view. I mean, you're welcome to your opinions; I imagine the fandom community is split into camps of "Liked MH more than MO" / "Liked MO more than MH" / "Liked both equally" / "Hated both"; you're in the first, and I'm in the third. Nothing wrong with that. I still recommend watching MO 15-21 though.
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
What made Mai-HiME so good was that there was a surprise at almost every episode. It had gigantic plot twists.

The main characters were really good. Mai, Tate, Akira and Mai's brother (forgot his name) specifically.

And even if it had some cliché moments, they were still funny. The school life part was good, the fights rocked, except when Midori was there (her wheelcart looks AWFUL). I liked each and every one of the HiME.

IMHO, who cares it has clichés and a cliché ending when the storyline and characters is extremely good? The story was very well written, and far deeper than what we could expect from something of that kind. The voice acting was great too.
teferi

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:14 pm Reply with quote
somehting about the flaming yuri meteor near the end just made me weirded out by otome ... not to mention nina being about to basically pounce onsergey and sexx0r him while the amnesia was still in effect O_O;;

the problem in my opinion with mai otome was that they seemed to have shifted to tryign to make it as yuri as possible for everyone that was disspoiinted that shizuru and natuski didn't go all the way in the first series...

and until midori showed upt hat's pretty mcuyh all it seemed liek it would be... I mean they had a tentacle monster episode O_O

not even getting into the complexity of the story ... but after the abundant fanservice (outclassing mai hime and doing it with younger protagonists no less) that just seemed out of line...I know it pretty much happened in ep 04 of mai hime.. but ti was funny then .. they had the whole lingerie thief setup...

oh and the character designs were pretty bad...arika's suit looks like she messed up a maid out fit and took an oversized rock candy and made a blade out of it...

oh and the miad thing just adds to the badness... I mean loli maids who protect the world? -_-

honestly they were both pretty much just shows where the fanservice bult up for a bit and then they got into a plot ... mai hime just did it a bit faster...

oh and mai hime had a much better constructed first episode.. it actually got me interested int he show... they started off with a good fight and left it off with a couple of questions that hooked me intot he second ep...

mai otome had a giant monster with a crotch cannon that they defeated and then had arika running aorund after nina ... I'm pretty much against crotch cannon monsters.. somehwere up there with meido anime (mahoromatic aside)... I'd sign a petition against them if I could.. but that would just hurt the hentia industry... too bad otome didn't have that excuse -_-"

[/rant] Razz
ryokoalways

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
The first 15 episodes was soso, and the first major arc was weakly developed imo. I would have given it 7-8/10, and thats being lenient. The reason is because how much I liked episode 16-25. That was the amazing part of the show. The character development was spectacular, and while it isnt always happy, the characters, for the most part, had believable responses. The biggest beef I have with the show is the goddamn spoiler[Miracle Button] in episode 26. Otherwise, the likable characters and storyline for the second arc was an amazing experience. Not to mention the music is awesome.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched all of Mai-Hime last night and I was greatly impressed with how it turned out. The characters' personalities vary from one another and the background stories of the HiME at the end of every episode were an exhilarating watch.

The fights between the HiME and the Orphans and, in later episodes, other HiME were an awesome sight, yet, in the case of the HiME themselves, tragic, as they resulted in a loved one perishing whenever the HiME's protector (a child) itself perishes. I honestly thought the relations of Mai and Mikoto were going to end in sheer tragedy until...spoiler[Mikoto's stomach began to growl.] That gave me quite a laugh of relief. Anime smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
A second viewing of the series is required in order to understand and appreciate the hidden meanings of all of the exhibited mannerisms and allusions of and by the various characters "in the know"
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
This is kinda necroposting, but enh. . .

While I probably wouldn't currently classify it among my favorites, I've had a soft spot in my heart for My-HiME ever since I first discovered it as a result of an excellent AMV. Liked the drama, loved the Kajiura score (even though I'll also agree with a much earlier poster that it's not one of her best), and Mai is still one of my all-time-favorite heroines. Few anime heroines have ever managed an equal or better balance of toughness and vulnerability. And while I was also a bit miffed at the ending, I do agree with other comments that the series ending on a depressing note just wouldn't have worked, either.

That being said, I've probably actually rewatched My-Otome more often. Arika irritates me and the story does have some issues (especially early on), but seeing Mashiro grow into her responsibility and characters from the first series in all-new roles are regular delights, and I think its drama does take hold quite firmly in its second half. I also think it has the better soundtrack; sadly, I've never been able to find its OST.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

We need a better way to identify sanctioned threads -- and this is a sanctioned thread. For example, how about modifying the OP of this thread so that the very first line reads: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23528--Thread-2 or some other identifying line so that a moderator does not have to manually search the links in the Series Discussion Index?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...but seeing Mashiro grow into her responsibility and characters from the first series in all-new roles are regular delights...

Ah, Mashiro... Of all the characters of Mai-Otome that were in Mai-HiME, her characteristic is the one I've noticed the most change from, aside from Shiho, perhaps. Her haughtiness and quick temper was among the many moments that gave me quite a few laughs. Wink
Key

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Key wrote:

We need a better way to identify sanctioned threads -- and this is a sanctioned thread. For example, how about modifying the OP of this thread so that the very first line reads: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23528--Thread-2 or some other identifying line so that a moderator does not have to manually search the links in the Series Discussion Index?

Yeah, I'll do something like that. Didn't realize this was the officially-linked thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
^
Actually, there are a total of five different threads that are sanctioned for Mai-HiME. This is Thread 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3