• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Grows Up, Launches Tween to Adult Licensing Subsidiary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aluria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I so see this blowing up in their face. Even if they don't dumb it down, it'll still be really horrible scripts and terrible acting.

As for the tween comment, I'm never heard of that word as well and someone I don't believe it should be considered acceptable in a press statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
If they play their cards right, I see this working.

Then again, I have a better chance of making money on engines run on water.
arxane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
The Furte news?: 4kids adds most of its anime after news of the success of the Naruto uncut boxsets makes it one of the best selling anime DVDs ever! Al Kahn's head expludes after prosessing the info about the Naruto DVDs...

except 4Kids didn't license Naruto

Emma didn't say 4Kids licensed Naruto. Emma means (and hopes) that with the projected success of Viz's uncut Naruto boxsets, 4Kids will attempt to mimic the success by putting most of their anime in this new "adult" branch.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Naruto is just as much for kids as One Piece. The difference in its success vs that of One Piece is it's more popular and isn't dumbed down for kids, even with Viz's removal of tits and foul language in the manga. ("Darn you!" in Hikaru No Go, indeed...) What's the point of changing what made a show appealing in the first place? It's like that Batman cartoon with those godawful character designs.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime lends itself to a childrens market?

Actually, I kind of agree with that statement but with a few caveats: 1) Anime typically lends itself to a young demogrpahic but not always and 2) Even the shows that fall under the above statement often has a broader appeal across ages and demographics.

Of course, Madison Street is so caught up in numbers that they can't see what's right in front of them, and that's why we have reailty show clones out the wazoo.
konosuke15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how long it'll take for this to bankrupt.....

Anime lends itself to a childrens market?

Well, they must of never seen GANTZ or Elfen Lied...oh, wait, they dont see non-money makers (not insulting the shows, just saying they dont sell out like what 4kids always wants to do)

Yes, Anime goes often attract children, but it also can attract people of older ages too...
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
What's the point of changing what made a show appealing in the first place? It's like that Batman cartoon with those godawful character designs.

You mean "The Batman"? A more fitting example is Loonatics: Unleashed, which I'm sure everyone's heard of, the horribly unneeded revamping of Looney Tunes to make hip, badass superhero counterparts. All we need is for them to sing some silly rap every episode and we'd have a perfect example of a "suit" show. The worst part is that it's not even doing all that well.

This just goes to show you that sometimes, localization and modernization and whatever really isn't necessary. I think 4Kids's problem is that its business model involves treating every anime like how they did Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, because both were rather heavily localized (Pokémon to an extent, Yu-Gi-Oh! getting horribly screwed) and ended up being their biggest properties, but both shows were heavily centered around merchandise and didn't really need much of a push to get them off the ground. Shows like One Piece actually have to be good.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. The fact that 4kids has gone and created a subsidiary for dealing with an older demographic gives me a little hope that their gonna be changing their views on anime. As if the 60% profit drop finally slapped them in the face. I still wouldn't be surprised if they manage screw it all up.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, they do say that specialization leads to economic growth...
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
I think that with Pokemon, then Yu-Gi-Oh!, then Shaman King, then One Piece, 4Kids has demonstrated that any inkling of skill or know-what-we're-doing-dom has dissipated. I see this as a desperate last pitch to go back to the early Pokemon/early Yu-Gi-Oh! prosperity that will really go down the drain.

Am I completely off my rocker to think that perhaps the anime community's <strike>whining</strike> complaints compelled 4Kids to take this route? I can't imagine 4Kids even thinking of this except for having remembered "Oh yeah, those anime kids keep whining about our kiddifying their shows, maybe we can pick up a few of them by adultifying our properties!!!11111 eleventyone"

Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Todd Fromer of KCSA publicity, representing 4Kids, said that anime isn't necessarily ruled out of the 4Sight line up, but that anime lends itself more to a children's market.
4Sight? 4Fuxake! With this statement he might as well call it "Nearsight"! This is a bandage for the recent wounds they have received otherwise they wouldn't even have considered it.
Proman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Proman wrote:
Quote:
Todd Fromer of KCSA publicity, representing 4Kids, said that anime isn't necessarily ruled out of the 4Sight line up, but that anime lends itself more to a children's market.

I think he's talking about the kind of anime they license. 4Kids never licensed older demo anime before, so the only anime they really know is Children stuff.

I don't believe that is what he meant at all. I think that anime in general tends to be made for children which is a pretty closeminded view of anime.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

Am I completely off my rocker to think that perhaps the anime community's <strike>whining</strike> complaints compelled 4Kids to take this route? I can't imagine 4Kids even thinking of this except for having remembered "Oh yeah, those anime kids keep whining about our kiddifying their shows, maybe we can pick up a few of them by adultifying our properties!!!11111 eleventyone"

I'm willing to bet that Stockholders prompted this change than some whinny, pissant anime fans with money to burn.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Please let them keep this view of "anime is for children" so that they have no desire to licence any other shows. They have ruined their credibility far too much for me to ever expect that a more adult oriented branch could be of any benefit. I can't imagine what sort of properties they are looking at but I hope they don't manage to screw somethings up for consumers while they experiment with this plan to make money.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I agree with SoloButterfly on letting them think that anime is more for children. Let them stay as far away from anime as possible. They damaged too many titles as it is.

Does 4Kids own any live-action properties?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4