• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Man-Faye on Jay Leno

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:54 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I believe that Shogun has illustrated why I find this whole thread alarming. Where do you draw the line between good cosplay, and people having fun. Do e have the right to ban someone from a con if their costume is not accurate? Should someone who is not Japanese go to a con dressed as a character from Kenshin? ...... Since I'm in my 30s does that rule out almost all of the main characters from most series who are in there teens?

There's a big difference between "Accuracy" and handing your Debit card to the clerk at Hot Topic for that Naruto-esque Jacket.

Some of these cosplayers don't realize that if your not a near-carbon copy of (insert character here), expect to be ridiculed. Heck, i've seen discussion of pics of African Americans cosplaying non-black characters result in the word spoiler[[slur]] and other racial slurs being thrown about. And seriously, I think alot of Americans (me included, I won't sugarcoat it) have this perception that "if it's not perfect, it's an instant fail."

I'll quote something now:

Quote:
I constantly see this ethnocentric trend: Japanese characters (even though they have highly westernized looks) are considered to be Japanese among them, this includes boys with bleached hair like Ichigo; when white people see these characters they identify them as being white; blacks see tan/dark skinned characters and they say they're black. I think the original purpose of the authors is to make them Japanese to begin with. The Japanese probably trip out with our attempts with cosplay of their "Japanese" characters anyways.

Quote:
Should that fan who is only 5' 6" not dress as Alucard, Gutz or Vash?

Invalid point. Let's stop there before this point degrades into sexual innuendo.

Quote:
Once we start judging what is "right" and what is "wrong" we start on a dangerous path of censorship and discrimination. I'll repeat myself and say that Man-Faye isn't funny to me, but to say that he should't be allowed to do what he does (or some of the even harsher things people have said) scares me.

I'll repeat myself that I understand that Man-Faye is doing it as a joke AND to prove a point there are steriotypes. Of course, what steriotype a male in hot pants is..... Yaoi maybe?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4