• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop To Move Away from OEL and World Manga Labels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
gohmifune, thank you. I couldn't have said it better or more consisely myself.

There is no manga style. It's marketing bullcrap and it hurts the artform and future artists. Golgo 13 or Berserk or Uzumaki all have different styles, different from this sterotype that is being propagated.

Mylene, again, it also sounds like a marketing gimick. I'm sure Tokyopop isn't the only one to jump on this band wagon. Plus marketing in Japan is much worse (some would say better) than in the US. Also, I'm sure Japan is happy to promote their style over other countries. We don't need artistic imperialism. I don't think that's quite right. I respect their want to, but I think people shouldn't be influienced by one coutry. People should be proud of their own country's background as well as looking to other artists from places like Japan. Only a fool would look to one country for artists of influence. Don't let Tokyopop turn you into a fool.

Tokyopop is making artists think that copying a generic marketed style makes them manga artists. All Tokyopop is doing is making an entire generation of Rob Liefelds. Instead of finding their own style and learning how to properly draw anything, they're busying their mind trying to learn how to copy a generic art style. Now every artist is influenced by another's style. Yet this is making young artists think of a generic 'anime/manga' style first instead of encouraging them to find an artist they like. It's a miseducation in the name of marketing. I can't stand it.
Mylene

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Mylene, again, it also sounds like a marketing gimick. I'm sure Tokyopop isn't the only one to jump on this band wagon. Plus marketing in Japan is much worse (some would say better) than in the US. Also, I'm sure Japan is happy to promote their style over other countries. We don't need artistic imperialism. I don't think that's quite right. I respect their want to, but I think people shouldn't be influienced by one coutry. People should be proud of their own country's background as well as looking to other artists from places like Japan. Only a fool would look to one country for artists of influence. Don't let Tokyopop turn you into a fool.

I hope I'm not being referred to as a 'fool'. I merely posted the link because it was relevant to the conversation. My views are fairly counter what the posting of the link suggests.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
I should ahve phrased it more like: Don't let Tokyopop fool you into this gimmick. It was a broad statement to anyone. Sorry about that.
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Let call it what it really is: notmanga.
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Fakes seem more like it.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote
I am an aspiring comic artist who happens to draw in the manga style. I don't read American comic books, I read Japanese comic books. Why should I be told to draw in a style I'm not used to just because I'm American. I plan on entering RSOM. Why? Because it could be a big break for me in my career.

I believe the label doesn't matter as much as the quality of the work. We could call the 'OEL manga' earthworms, and in the end, you'd buy them if the were good quality, not because they are called manga or earthworms or graphic novels or whatever.

Someone I think on page 2 said that he/she called them manga influenced comics, or MIC. If we must label, I have to say I live that term the best. Because one of TP's 'OEL' titles would fit in more with the manga than with traditional American graphic novels. It appeals more to a manga fan, since these comics, when done right, use manga story techniques and layouts. Also, many of them use typical shonen/shojo art styles. However, they are not manga, as manga are Japanese comic books.

Anyways, I'm not a huge fan of labeling, but I understand for marketing purposes we should. In that case, we should use manga-influenced comics, or MIC.

And if you would like to judge my art it's here- http://hanachan01.deviantart.com . *shameless self plug* Embarassed
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I think what most people are objecting to is some of the deceptive methods being used to pass off "manga" which has not been created in Japan ie. author name missing from the spine of the books, printing the books so they have to be read right to left when most likely they weren't drawn that way to begin with, etc.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of funny that everyone acuses Tokyopop of trying to rip off of a non-existant manga "style" of art, but nobody ever acuses Tezuka Osamu-san of ripping off of a non-existant American "style" of art when he based his design of Astro Boy on Mickey Mouse cartoons, which started this whole "big eyes, small mouth" anime stereotype to begin with. Because with Tezuka-san it's called "inspiration" when he copies an American art style, but with Tokyopop, they're "ripping off" because Tezuka-san is the god of manga and an all mighty Japanese person who can never make any mistakes, whereas Tokyopop is just an evil American corporation that's only after your money. So, if an artist shouldn't try to draw characters with big eyes and small mouths because they should develop their own unique style instead of trying to copy the "anime stereotype" look, why didn't Tezuka-san try to develop his own unique style when he created Astro Boy instead of trying to copy Walt Disney's style?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I was expressing an opinion on their "marketing practices" not how any artist draws their characters. Sorry, I guess I was being a just bit too subtile.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:58 pm Reply with quote
megumi's guy wrote:
I was expressing an opinion on their "marketing practices" not how any artist draws their characters. Sorry, I guess I was being a just bit too subtile.
My post wasn't directed precisely at you but at this whole thread in general.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
It's kind of funny that everyone acuses Tokyopop of trying to rip off of a non-existant manga "style" of art, but nobody ever acuses Tezuka Osamu-san of ripping off of a non-existant American "style" of art when he based his design of Astro Boy on Mickey Mouse cartoons, which started this whole "big eyes, small mouth" anime stereotype to begin with. Because with Tezuka-san it's called "inspiration" when he copies an American art style, but with Tokyopop, they're "ripping off" because Tezuka-san is the god of manga and an all mighty Japanese person who can never make any mistakes, whereas Tokyopop is just an evil American corporation that's only after your money. So, if an artist shouldn't try to draw characters with big eyes and small mouths because they should develop their own unique style instead of trying to copy the "anime stereotype" look, why didn't Tezuka-san try to develop his own unique style when he created Astro Boy instead of trying to copy Walt Disney's style?

you make a good point, and that's what I'm trying to tell these anime/manga purist. I like OEL manga, the OEL manga are doing a good job to me and other people. Even if Tokyopop stop doing OEL, other company like Seven Sea Entertainment, and Eigomanga are continuing their woro. Heck, Marvel and DC are doing manga-style drawing for their comic and I have no problem with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
gohmifune wrote:
This is an interesting thread. People are getting up in arms because of TP skewing a subculture for financial gain. Which is understandable. I've been an anime fan going on a decade, I remember when it wasn't popular, manga was about and inch and a half taller, and DBZ was dubbed in Canada. This was a good time, because this was before people started worshipping anime, this was before the "Advent of the Otaku". Then Gundam Wing came along and showed that marketing can control people and hype.

There are two problems with calling non-japanese comics manga: 1) These books are influenced by the general manga, not the "good stuff" not the things that stand out. No one imitates Phoenix, Slam Dunk, Uzumaki, Devilman, or Golgo 13. It is all about imitating the things that are popular, not the things that can be viewed as important, and because of this, the good stuff gets overlooked, and not even released stateside. 2) There is also the problem of condoning easy ownership of something. A guy "thinks" he can draw something, and thus he's an anime fan, but in turn it isn't very good, so when someone who can't tell the difference between that and something Japanese, they may think all things Japanese are lame. Anime doesn't need a bad image, it is everywhere, and it is oversaturating entertainment, and not in a good way.

You make it sound like people in Japan don't have aspirations along those lines. There's plenty of crappy manga and plenty of it has crappy art <.<

Quote:

Call me an anime snob, maybe it is true, but if something is really good then why does it have an OEL or World Manga label, why can't it be called what it is, "a comicbook".

If there were shame in doing comicbookss then Kia Asamiya wouldn't have done Batman and come here to do X-Men, Amano wouldn't have done Sandman and Wolverine/Elektra, and Miller wouldn't be supposedly working on Metal Gear Solid. Oh, and there wouldn't have been a Spider-man manga and tv show, along with a Hulk manga.

No. I'm gonna call you a manga snob ;p

What's it freaking matter o,o? I for one don't really see the big deal here. It's just a word. If they think they can make more money off it then more power to them.

Quote:

OEL, World Manga, Global Manga, it is all a manipulative marketing ploy into convincing people to immerse themselves into a "Manga Culture", and all it does is keep people from being creative.

Where's your definitive proof of this o,o?

though to a certain degree I agree with this. Too many people watch anime and go off and try to draw it. Never mind that anime in particular is simplified for animation and heavily stylized (ie not a particularly good way to learn fundamental skills).

I just don't see it cutting down on creativity. I know plenty of talented, creative aspiring artists that have an interest in manga and have at one point in time tried their hand at drawing like it. Hell, as much as I hate to admit it, I spent a bit of time toying with the style; but I moved on, started taking some classes in high school and then college and found traditional art to be every bit as fun. Trying out different styles is just part of the normal process that people go through in trying to develop their own individual style >.>

And anyone who says that there is no particular "manga style" is full of crap. There may be differences between different genres and yes, some artists have their own distinctive take on things, but when you get down to it, there are stylistic tendencies within most manga that easily label it as a different style within the media of comic books >.>

Last edited by babbo on Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
babbo -

You do realise you're arguing with people who posted two years ago? There's a pretty good chance they aren't following the thread anymore...
babbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
babbo -

You do realise you're arguing with people who posted two years ago? There's a pretty good chance they aren't following the thread anymore...

Damnit -.-;;

*had saw a recent post and neglected to check the date of the rest of the posts*

What's with all the necroing lately o,o?
yukikanou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
minakichan wrote:
The ENGLISH version of the same word, however, is "MANE-guh." Because that's how they pronounce it.

Say what? I thought it was always pronounced "mon-ga". The only people that pronounce it the other way are the ones that never heard the word spoken.
I guess I get some slack since I speak Spanish and it's spoken the same way (although, it translates to "sleeve").
-Nevermind, we have enough of a debate on our hands.

Actually, it depends on who you are talking to, I say "mah-n-gah"

Moomintroll wrote:
babbo -You do realise you're arguing with people who posted two years ago? There's a pretty good chance they aren't following the thread anymore...

I didn't! ...Oh well!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6