• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Governor: Quake-Affected ACE Event 'Deserved It'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly hope this guy gets what he deserves eventually before everythin is fucked up
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful words of wisdom from good old, Ishihara-san. Bravo.

I hope Karma runs over his Dogma.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
This guy would be right at home on 4chan.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Or at a convention of Fundamentalist Baptists.

Maximym Meyham!! wrote:
But I'll be honest, after reading about the Meiji Era and Bakumatsu, I don't think Japan holds themselves highly in terms of "traditional" culture anymore. From what I've seen, it's all just a "Race against the West and what they can do", and from the evidence I've seen, a lot of modern city goers consider their traditional culture as poor or "not errr... well, American". No hard feelings, but you can thank the stigma of "Only the west can do Science and Technology" that was spread in the Industrial Revolution, Racial Darwinism that Japan had picked up upon and how that's all been integrated into modern society over there.
I understand your perspective, and I agree that this resembles much of the whole "Imitate the West" concept going through back in the Meiji era, but I can't say his opponents are any more traditional than he is. Modern and western concepts have worked themselves deep, and it's hard to pull back out of them.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Ey Japan stop feeding the troll.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Just keeps holding back his citizens. Still don't understand why he keeps being elected with such statements. Wish there was some impeachment process or an anti-group spreading around to stop this. Just make the trolling he does stop.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
There are a lot of emotional, moralistic judgements running wild through this thread, which is probably a bad way to think about politics, even if it is an understandably popular one. It should really be born in mind that Anime News Network is a niche news provider, not a Tokyo politics site, so the information that it supplies necessarily gives a narrow perspective on Shintaro Ishihara. I doubt that very many people who have written posts for this thread know much about the wider situation of Tokyo, or Japanese, politics or about his general administrative competence and other policies.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:

Actually, that's not quite true. See this blog postby Dan Kanemitsu for some interesting details. He got less than half the vote, but that happened to be enough to win in this case, and it's questionable if he would have won had the earthquake not distracted Japan from other issues.

No, the 2nd-place candidate only got 26% of the vote, so Ishihara still won by quite a comfortable 18-point margin. It was no contest; he won easily.

Ishihara still got less than 50% of the total vote, meaning the majority of people did not vote for him. Also, the 2nd and 3rd place candidates' combined votes were greater than that of Ishihara's alone. Had the vote not been split between Ishihara's two main opponents, who can say what would have happened? Since we don't know the second choice of any of those voters, it's impossible to say. Perhaps Ishihara would have still won, perhaps not.

I'm not saying the guy didn't win by a large amount, but his popularity is down greatly compared to the heights it reached in the past.

The specific results do suggest the interesting possibility that under a system other than plurality election, such the Borda count or even just a two-round system, he might not have won, but I think that it's a mistake to attribute that to personal qualities or media distortions consequent to the earthquake. Something that political scientists know, but most people don't is that gaffes, campaigns and other narrative events that people think determine political outcomes are generally marginal factors and most of the result is attributable to political fundamentals. Most voters are rationally ignorant of specific political information, so their aggregate decisions tend to be the result of things such as economic performance, major incidents beyond political control, alternations in political power and other structural factors. I concede that most of this has been studied within the context of American politics and there are likely to be some differences due to the different institutional structures and cultural context of Japanese politics, but at a basic level, the theory should still be applicable.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
[Yes, especially nationalists. Japan's youths are notorious for being apolitical - they don't follow or care for politics, much less vote. Heck, look at anime - do you see anime tackling current social or political issues even a little bit? No. This is where the youths' constant chase for escapism bites them in the ass.

Not quite true. Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society dealt with social issues some. So did Eden of the East to an extent. There are others as well.

Does social/political commentary dominate anime/manga? Certainly not. But it's not as if it's nonexistant in the medium.

I doubt that commentary dominates anybody's entertainment and youth in stable republics tend to be politically inactive, especially in local politics. Electoral participation rates in the United States shrank appreciably when eighteen-year-olds were enfranchised simply because the pool of people who could vote was significantly increased, but the number of people who voted grew only modestly.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed May 18, 2011 5:55 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
torontoanimemeetup

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I just can't believe how much you [beep] hate this guy, actually I hate him too... funny. The best part is how you talk about Japan as if she is your country or something.

[Politics do not belong on an anime forum, do not try to turn this in to your soapbox on unrelated political and social issues. This segment removed.]

Ishihara isn't EVIL, his laws on Manga/Anime were law PASSED by the people that were elected by the people. In another words, you can't do jack s**t.

Also, Ishihara is a governor of Tokyo and NOT THE PRIME MINISTER of Japan. Don't talk like he run the country or something, the people of Japan did not elected him to be governor, the people of Tokyo did, big difference.

Until this Law affect Naruto, One Piece, all these freak hentai anime/manga can all burn in Hell. [Attacking people due to generalizations will not be tolerated]

I supported this law and my people have VOTED and we won, so [attacking people and spouting racist and xenophobic comments will also not be tolerated. Be civil or don't post, it's not a difficult concept.]

[Mod Edit: Here's the bottom line. You want to post and discuss the issue then go ahead, but you are expected to do so thoughtfully, civilly and respectfully. If you can't do that and simply want to spout profanity, racism and prejudicial comments then you are in the wrong forum, because that will simply not be tolerated here. - Keonyn]

Last edited by torontoanimemeetup on Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 am; edited 2 times in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that this guy being re-elected is that much of a surprise actually. He pandered to his base constituents, and those are the people that turned out to vote.

Kind of like what happened here in the U.S. during the mid-terms. I can't tell you how many people I know who are complaining about the politicians now in power never showed up to vote. Why are they so surprised how it turned out? They had something else to do that day. First, they had work (or school), then, there was every other kind of excuse. (Like their favorite band was playing at the local bar and a lot of hot guys/girls hang out there....or politics is boring, etc.)

Meanwhile. their grand uncle got driven to the polling place with his church group, and the bus was packed!

Add to that the median age of Japan, and these results aren't surprising at all. Unfortunately. Older, more conservative folks vote. The younger voters have something better to do. Sad
KN_guro

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this man was raped by a roving band of otaku as a child....
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Either this guy doesn't care what others think or something else, because I am not sure this type of attitude would ever fly in America or even elsewhere maybe.

But let me ask, who keeps voting for this "interesting" person? People that don't like anime/manga/or anything remotely fun?
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
The people of Tokyo should be ashamed of themselves for continuing to keep this vile human being in office. He is a disgrace to humanity like any other political hack that uses tragedy for political capital. Of course, we have scumbags like him here in the US, Republicans and Democrats alike, so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh, but Ishihara is as noxious to me as the worst we have to offer.
insomniac1970

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
torontoanimemeetup wrote:
Post modified.

I understand your anger at a countryman being criticized by outsiders, but he makes it so easy to bash him. I do not care about the new law, that's your business, but I will trash any person that speaks so inhumanely about the misfortunes of others. When Franklin Graham said that 9/11 was caused by homosexuality, I called him a douche bag. Making political hay off a tragic event is reprehensible. I don't claim to own Japan, but I do claim some human decency, which his statements after tsunami show that Ishihara does not.
torontoanimemeetup

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
[Racism and politics removed.]
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 am Reply with quote
Oh, I wrote some interesting stuff on the last thread about how a lot of older Japanese view anime/manga as a corrupting influence on the youth, responsible for a number of societal ills, but I'm too lazy to rewrite it all. To make a comparison to American politics, this would be a conservative complaining about the secularization of America. In both cases they are completely wrong, but in both cases they can get a lot of popular support for saying it.

torontoanimemeetup wrote:
Post modified

2/10. Seriously, that's the best you can do? I see better trolling on the Politics Tab of Fark.com. I would suggest that you go and study up on Jonathan Swift, Michael Moore and Bill O'Reilly if you really want to learn how to troll people. Oh, and practice on FreeRepublic. Trolling that place can get epic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5