• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Interview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
Be thankful you don't have a Toonami like we have in the UK. A whole entire 24 hour channel of animated slurry dotted with floaters of "live action". It's great stuff for a field of potatos. Rolling Eyes
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quote
And don't forget how they killed the Original Gundam 1/2 or 2/3 of the way through, ostensibly because of 9/11 (probably an excuse for dumping a show with poor ratings). Then they go and play the last episode as part of some special programming block event, I forget which.

At the time, I hadn't really decided to buy the show on DVD, or I sure wouldn't have watched that last ep. Later I got the movie trilogy and had to watch a show progress while already knowing the ending.

And then, as was mentioned, CN aired Char's Counterattack without ever (to this date) having shown Zeta. Someone obviously didn't know or care about basic continuity; they just decided to air something with a lot of action. Meanwhile, Gundam newbies like myself who'd only seen the OG and not Zeta were horribly confused.

And ONCE AGAIN, I end up buying Zeta on DVD as it becomes available and have to watch a show knowing that certain characters are going to survive because they're in Char's CA. Sad

I love CN for showing anime and making fans out of me and countless others, and I hate them for their inept bungling with scheduling.

It is true, though, that Zeta would do poorly anywhere on CN. It's just not exciting enough, mainly at the beginning. It may be huge in Japan, but people here don't have long enough attention spans, on the whole. And to be honest, the older UC Gundams are kind of "flat" on the screen; they don't really involve you emotionally like the later ones do.

There's no scenes in the OG or Zeta that have the power of Aina Sahalin screaming, "You wanted a fight? Well, here it is!!", or Heero Yuy dispassionately self-destructing his Gundam while standing on it. One has to appreciate what Tomino was doing, but his stories almost read better than they view at times.

But what do I know, I'm still a newb who hasn't seen any of the Gundam series that haven't been dubbed yet. Just my two cents.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Be thankful you don't have a Toonami like we have in the UK. A whole entire 24 hour channel of animated slurry dotted with floaters of "live action". It's great stuff for a field of potatos. Rolling Eyes

Don't they have Doogie Houser on there? Laughing And Bill Nye or something?
wao

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if IGPX has finished airing over there - it probably has, but the ending was kind of screaming for a resolution, from what I watched... How did it do, I wonder? They could make an OVA and air it once on TV or something, but for a 2nd season... it wasn't too popular in Japan

EDIT: Scratch that, in typical style they are, in Japan, releasing episode 25 and 26 on the last R2 DVD which comes out in October. So there will be a resolution.
Halohound326

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
One time i remember the last episode of Yuyu Hakusho that came on Toonami before Gash Bell started was uncut and I was so excited. lol
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
Although I think what CN did with Gundam Seed's scheduling was deplorable, I really can't blame them entirely for giving up on the Gundam franchise. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think that the tremendous success of Gundam Wing was merely a fluke driven more by fans of shounen-ai than by fans of Gundam itself. If that's indeed the case, then it's little surprise that no other show came remotely close to duplicating Wing in popularity in the U.S...

IMO, Toonami Jetstream is probably what Toonami would have been if it was still a daily afternoon block. Hopefully, some of the never-before-seen shows will eventually make it somewhere on CN as not everyone is inclined (or even able) to download them...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2