• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Baccano! Blu-ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Frankly, at this point, I really don't think its worth an extra $300 or so for chipboard and a booklet.
Ya know, you're probably right on that one. But, hell...

luffypirate85 wrote:
If you couldn't already tell, Sano is EXTREMELY passionate about this title. This is a quite a rare situation that he's in, but I can completely understand where he's coming from. I'd compare it to importing the R.O.D BD box for the audio commentaries, but it wouldn't be the same because it lacks any sort of English. Sano just want's the best.
What he said. Laughing

Seriously, though--that's the long and the short of it. When it comes to a show that I love, price isn't that big of a factor to me. Thanks for understanding, man.

hissatsu01 wrote:
And no, you're definitely not getting any poster now.
Huh? What makes you say that? Was it some sort of limited addition to the JP BD box? Surprised
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
And no, you're definitely not getting any poster now.
Huh? What makes you say that? Was it some sort of limited addition to the JP BD box? :o

Perhaps some retailers might still have the poster, but Amazon (The price is currently ¥19,248 after a 27% discount [a better one than when I placed my order], and there's still tax to remove! It should ship in 4-7 days. ^_^; ) didn't. I ordered the set on 15 March, and it shipped on 22 March. I got the nice, solid box with the digipak and booklet, and that was it...
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Dude.....WHY!? It's the exact same set. Even the outer box hasn't a lick of difference on it.

The only difference is, the JP version is $400.

Zac wrote:

The copy Aniplex sent me literally just has a new UPC pasted over the Japanese one. It's the exact same set.
Eh, not quite.

This unboxing topic over at livejournal, and a couple of peepz I've talked to over at Mania(who imported the JP version) have brought up a number of differences. The chipboard, the digipak, the CP poster, and--most importantly for me--the booklet.

Thanks for tryin' to keep me from throwing $$$ at an exact copy of something I'm already getting, though. Laughing

Dude, you know me. You know that I like you, and that I got a lot of bro love for you, but there's a big difference between passion and stupidity.

Don't be a retard. What Aniplex USA is offering is perfectly awesome as it is. If you're so adamant about blasting away couple hundred dollars out like that for no real reason, then at least you can do it for a good, noble cause and buy a poor college student such as myself this thing here:
http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=52057

I always wanted one of these. :3
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
CaptainAvatar wrote:
When I heard it was an upscale and that they did not have the Funi 5.1 mix for the dub, (I'm a big fan of 5.1 mixes vs. 2.0),

I can deal with it being an upscaling, but it lacks the immersive dub? That really puts me off from considering it a premium set. Anyone who's received it already that can opine on whether being lossless makes up for having fewer channels?
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Perhaps some retailers might still have the poster, but Amazon (The price is currently ¥19,248 after a 27% discount [a better one than when I placed my order], and there's still tax to remove! It should ship in 4-7 days. Anime smile; ) didn't. I ordered the set on 15 March, and it shipped on 22 March. I got the nice, solid box with the digipak and booklet, and that was it...
Oh, really? Hm, that's a bummer about the poster. I'll ask around and see if any other places are still dishing it out. That's still the best price that I've seen floating around, though. Thanks for the info.

John Casey wrote:
Dude, you know me. You know that I like you, and that I got a lot of bro love for you...
Yeah, I know--likewise, bro. Surprised

Quote:
...but there's a big difference between passion and stupidity.
Damn right, there is. And what I'm gonna do falls under the former. Wink

Quote:
Don't be a retard. What Aniplex USA is offering is perfectly awesome as it is.
Don't worry, I'm not. And I know, but like luffy said, as big of a fan of this show as I am+as much as I want to support it, I want the best version of this BD.

Like you said, I know you, so I've seen you get into it with other peepz about stuff like prices for anime things. I know we're not gonna see eye-to-eye on this one, so we should both just save our breath and agree to disagree on this one, man.

Quote:
If you're so adamant about blasting away couple hundred dollars out like that for no real reason, then at least you can do it for a good, noble cause and buy a poor college student such as myself this thing here:
http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=52057

I always wanted one of these. :3
Wo-ho-ho, slow your roll there: you may be a college student, but I'm not even graduating from high school until next month. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Even if it I didn't plan on throwing cash at the JP Baccano! BD, I still wouldn't be wasting my cash on your cheap ass. Laughing

Nice try, though, bro. Better luck next time. Cool

bglassbrook wrote:
I can deal with it being an upscaling, but it lacks the immersive dub? That really puts me off from considering it a premium set. Anyone who's received it already that can opine on whether being lossless makes up for having fewer channels?
Do what? Oh, nah--I think you misunderstood a bit, bud. It does have FUNi's dub intact, it's just that the audio mix is 2.0, as opposed to the superior 5.1 mix that FUNi's DVDs had.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:
Do what? Oh, nah--I think you misunderstood a bit, bud. It does have FUNi's dub intact, it's just that the audio mix is 2.0, as opposed to the superior 5.1 mix that FUNi's DVDs had.

That's actually my only real complaint with this otherwise nice release that I'm mostly happy with. I bought it and I loved this show and wanted to see it again and own it in HD and also since Aniplex went the extra mile by including the Funi dub which I'm hoping Aniplex will do with the majority of their releases like Durarara, ROD's BD box and now Baccano's BD box rather than their couple of other disappointing sub-only sets (ex. Kara no Kyoukai), which is an additional reason I wanted to support this release but its really ashame at the loss of the superior 5.1 mix since it already exists and they got the Funi dub so I'd be shocked if they didn't have/couldn't get access to the better 5.1.
John Casey

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Wo-ho-ho, slow your roll there: you may be a college student, but I'm not even graduating from high school until next month. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop Even if it I didn't plan on throwing cash at the JP Baccano! BD, I still wouldn't be wasting my cash on your cheap ass. Laughing

Nice try, though, bro. Better luck next time. Cool

>:< I'm gonna assassinate you.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
>:< I'm gonna assassinate you.
Thanks for the heads up. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
CaptainAvatar wrote:
When I heard it was an upscale and that they did not have the Funi 5.1 mix for the dub, (I'm a big fan of 5.1 mixes vs. 2.0),

All the 5.1 is is an upmix. If you have a stereo fill option on your receiver, you won't be able to tell a difference.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
bglassbrook wrote:

Some find lossless to always be better, and while I don't subscribe to that view, I can see pros & cons to either side. However....
luffypirate85 wrote:
All the 5.1 is is an upmix. If you have a stereo fill option on your receiver, you won't be able to tell a difference.

So basically this release has upscaled video and forgoes the upscaled audio?... Then I'm still a bit bemused by my feelings about all this.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:

I don't know about that. If it were the Japanese which were 5.1, then that's likely true. But since it's Funimation doing it, they could actually have made it true 5.1. I don't know if they did, but it was my understanding that Funimation's 5.1 audio tracks are actually 5.1. Regardless, I only have 2.0 channels on my speakers, so the 5.1 does me no good, and the volume on 5.1 is actually worse on my computer than 2.0, so I generally listen to 2.0 and not 5.1. Still, it's too bad that Aniplex didn't include the 5.1 track.

In any case, this release is worth buying if you want the series on Blu-ray. Otherwise, it's not. It doesn't have the 5.1 track. It doesn't have any commentaries. It doesn't even have the subtitles for the songs and signs (though I think that they might have only been for the ending music on the DVDs, so it's not a huge loss). And in comparison to the original DVD release, its packaging is much worse (though it's probably comparable with however the full DVD set from Funimation is currently packaged). Yes. It's an upscale, but it looks fantastic. Personally, I think that it's well worth picking up, but then again, I want all of my anime on Blu-ray at this point, so this kind of purchase is pretty much a no-brainer.

And I've just got to say that Isaac and Miria are quite probably the funniest pair of characters in anime history. They pratically make the show all by themselves. It's too bad that the show is so uber-violent, since there are definitely folks that I know would love watching Isaac and Miria but wouldn't want to put up with the violence.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:47 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:

I don't know about that. If it were the Japanese which were 5.1, then that's likely true. But since it's Funimation doing it, they could actually have made it true 5.1. I don't know if they did, but it was my understanding that Funimation's 5.1 audio tracks are actually 5.1. Regardless, I only have 2.0 channels on my speakers, so the 5.1 does me no good, and the volume on 5.1 is actually worse on my computer than 2.0, so I generally listen to 2.0 and not 5.1. Still, it's too bad that Aniplex didn't include the 5.1 track.

It's really not possible to have "true" 5.1 if the original is 2.0 in the first place, since the source music and sound effects will be limited to 2.0, unless Funi somehow pans voices to the rear (not counting center since that can be taken straight from centered stereo voices) Now it's possible to add effects like reverb or spatial effects whose "wet" portion make use of 5.1 but that wouldn't be a true 5.1 production either.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
It's too bad that the show is so uber-violent, since there are definitely folks that I know would love watching Isaac and Miria but wouldn't want to put up with the violence.
Pfft, the brutality of the show is a plus for it. Twisted Evil I wanna say "people have just gotta deal with it," but I've never had a problem with it. It sometimes shocked me, but in the best of ways. Laughing
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Even if it isn't 5.1, the Blu-ray audio is lossless. The BD tracks pack more of a punch that the DVD, hands down. You may see it as a loss of channels but that doesn't equate to less quality. Those FUNi tracks are unmixed from a 2.0 source. If you have a home theater system setup for HD sound then you will want these Aniplex discs.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:45 pm Reply with quote
So, I just saw this series for the first time on Netflix about a month ago.

I liked it... but probably not as much as everyone else does. Whether that was due to the hype machine or not, I'm not sure. In any case, I think all of the problems I had with the series can be boiled down to one important point:

IT'S TOO SHORT.

It was mentioned in the review that Baccano is all about its characters, and I'll admit that pretty much all of the characters were interesting, but there are far too many of them for the length of the show. With three separate storylines going on, any characters not featured on the Flying Pussyfoot kind of got screwed in terms of development. The Eve Genoard plot felt completely superfluous to everything else. There were characters featured in the theme song who I don't even remember ever speaking. But the part that REALLY bugged me was the 18th century ship cast, because I found that part to be SO fascinating, but it's only one episode, leaving a bucket-load of characters with interesting stories to tell left out.

There's something to be said for a series that leaves you wanting more, but in this case, the feeling of NEEDING more was a detriment to my enjoyment of it. If only it had been 26 episodes... Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3