• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: UK Paper on Maid Cafes, Otaku Boom

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Fe wrote:
they're probably really thinking "great another loser I have to put up with, thank god i'm getting decent pay" Laughing

Most maids enjoy cosplaying in their off-duty hours as well.
This reads like you know from experience. Wink

For being a very right wing conservative newspaper, that was rather well written. A café like that would do well in London. So would bath houses. We already have a manga café in the South Bank.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Most maids enjoy cosplaying in their off-duty hours as well.
This reads like you know from experience. Wink

The information, of course, was obtained from maids themselves, over the Net or in person. Some of them even have personal websites about cosplaying, as well as public appearences on mainstream media.

I have never been a maid or tried cosplaying yet. I do know a crossplayer who really wants to do so, however.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
animaniac

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:49 am Reply with quote
Great reading all this. Now my big question-where can I get train man episodes and or movie with subtitles in english? I wouldn't mind the book either if translated.

I hope to visit japan soon and while there I plan on visiting one of these cafes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gawyn

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
[quote="Mohawk52"]
dormcat wrote:

For being a very right wing conservative newspaper, that was rather well written. A café like that would do well in London. So would bath houses. We already have a manga café in the South Bank.

That was my thought, as well. The cultural shift in UK journalism is the more interesting point in this article.

The boom in geek culture can't be completely ignored in Japan, where it is reviled as being antisocial (ie un-Japanese). It is not the most important social shift but it is an interesting change.

Faithlesssoldier wrote:

And for those who couldn't find a good parallel for this trend, here's one that is kinda dead-on: GEISHA

The link with geisha occurred to me also since it does share some of those traits.
WEKS

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:12 am Reply with quote
Benjamin Secher wrote:
making it acceptable, even desirable, to be openly nerdish

There is no time like now I suppose.

Jariten wrote:
They forgot to mention that the Densha Otoko story was originally an actual thread posted to 2 Channel (a Japanese BBS).

But is there anyway to confirm their authencity? As far as I'm concerned it could all just be made up in a attempt to draw more attention and sell more...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote
ENJN wrote:
The mega complex has spread from Akiba to Osaka, indeed the mega Yodobashi Camera I saw there is built next to Osaka station.

While Yodobashi Camera is an Tokyo-based company, the megastore in Osaka came first. As a matter of fact, there was quite some commotion because it was felt an Osakan company lost out to one from Tokyo again, a trend that started after the area started recovering from the last big earthquake.

In short: Yodobashi Camera Osaka opened up no later than 2001, the Akiba one in september 2005. Just wanted to point that out Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
Wow the sites dormcat provided just reaffirms my idea that these gals make the bucks. I mean when the place you work at features you the staff on thier website you know your getting paid. And yes I know they are pretty and who wouldn't want to show them off, but they also must be talented as well since so few job openings are available.

And PantsGoblin, I saw in another thread that you were on a tour but missed a chance to attend one of these. And that you really only felt comfortable going while in one of these "groups". Can you explain?

[edit]on a side note I think my new favorite person in the world is Rio from Royal Milk. She loves eating Strawberies and making cocktails. Any of you guys in Tokyo see her, tell her I said hi, or hello, or whatever is proper.[/edit]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Just found two things:

1. Hong Kong has no maid cafe yet.
2. Some pictures of "Akiba" at Bangkok. Anyone reads Thai?

Dargonxtc wrote:
Wow the sites dormcat provided just reaffirms my idea that these gals make the bucks.

The uniform at "Maid in Japan" costs over ¥100,000 a piece. Go figure.

Dargonxtc wrote:
And that you really only felt comfortable going while in one of these "groups". Can you explain?

For a non-Asian who doesn't speak Japanese, and while maids might be able to speak some rudimentary English we could hardly bet it on, it's very natural for PG not be able to walk straight in with ease.

Dargonxtc wrote:
on a side note I think my new favorite person in the world is Rio from Royal Milk.

Geh! Same birthday of my ex. Anime dazed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ENJN

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
In short: Yodobashi Camera Osaka opened up no later than 2001, the Akiba one in september 2005. Just wanted to point that out Wink

Good call, my mistake. I wrote that around 4:30 am Tokyo time.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Yeah looks like the owners get all kinds of permits to open business. Maid misdemeanours

I find it interesting the different ways they try to describe the target clientele. Tokyo Maid Cafe<---don't mind using this one it won't work even though it is not a pirate video and totally relevant to this thread. Anyway the newscaster really picks her way around not using the word Otaku.

This one is kinda long(9:30) and is in Korean but what I find interesting is at about minute four. I mean do they think that it is effective to pull people off the street like that? For me going to one of these things would be a choice I had made long before someone just handed me a pamphlet. Also I wish I knew what the sterotypical Otaku was saying as it did seem he said quite a lot. maid cafe in seoul<---don't mind using this one it won't work even though it is not a pirate video and totally relevant to this thread. Also it appears that at this one you can stay the night, but I don't know for sure since I can't read it. But the do show the guys going into a room and turning off the lights. I think it is cute the way they take pictures with you, however that guy looks terrified Shocked

Don't know if this is typical but the title suggests Maid Cafe. More performance oriented.

This article simply defines Otaku as geeks and freaks. Which is a little broad. I wonder which I know more of, geeks or freaks. HMM, but I digress. Costume-clad cuties get geeks coughing up for coffee

Then this one is just freaking funny, then cute, then funny again. I like the way they count out the zeros in 100,000 Yen. Also that maid girl in the end is so intense, fangasm all over the place. Maid cafe : Maid in Japan<---don't mind using this one it won't work even though it is not a pirate video and totally relevant to this thread.

PS. all titles of articles and videos are in blue

I don't think this will pick up in the states, if it does it wouldn't be the same. It would be its twisted sister.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I'm digging the Pani Poni Dash characters on the menu, although they've got nothing to do with maids ^^;
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Well the one in glasses looks thrilled to be there. And they are all so young, I guess they don't have child labor laws in Thailand. But still you think a little older maybe, for "maids" at least.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for posting again but when I saw this video I had to put it up. It is long, like 11 minutes, but it is worth it, wait for the one on one interview. You will feel real sorry for this dude in the mask. Here you go Otaku

Out of all the videos I put up so far I think this one is the most relevant to the concept of the "Otaku Boom".
anime_hazel

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that link *Anime smile*

Aaw, they couldn't film in the maid cafe Sad

And the otaku they interview - going on about his friends getting married and not having time to go to the comic markets with him anymore, who thinks he's a terrible person for being a 'bad sample geek'...he needs a hug *bless*!

Also, after reading the other maid articles, i'd love to see a maid cafe when they are promoting the latest video game or anime!

Haha... "It's powerful! It's a mop!" That's not a maid-that's scary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
toomanyalts

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that there is now a trend of Butler cafes where men serve women. It's apparently a reaction to the maid cafes.
It even has a manga rationale for it.

http://www.wordpress.tokyotimes.org/?p=821
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2