• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 am Reply with quote
@ Polycell: I just don't buy what was set-up. We see Yura being spoiler[incredibly effective and contributing to Meisei's victory at the start of the episode. But supposedly Rin sees something she doesn't like so she deliberately puts an emerging star into a role where her aggression and skill can't be put to the best use?] Baloney. Psychologically, I could see if the show was trying to indicate that Rin wasspoiler[ jealous of Yura and felt her Queen B status was threatened,] but the show doesn't seem to be taking that tack.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Key: I disagree with your assessment that Yura has been portrayed as spoiler[self-centred] right from the get go. To me, in the early stages, Yura was portrayed as nice but shy.

That's true, but also consider that spoiler[as she started to get into the club activities her perspective on things always remained about her and her role in things. She never really does take others much into consideration in determining her actions], although I'll freely admit that, aside from the one incident in episode 3, this behavior is definitely not obvious when first watching these first six episodes; that only clicked with me after seeing the climax of episode 10. Both Rin and Sonora clearly picked up on it over time, though.

Quote:
And Rin's characterization seems off too (sorry, I'm going beyond the scope of episodes 1 thru 6 here). She's established as a ruthless, win-at-all costs character but in ep 10 spoiler[she's suddenly all about teamwork as opposed to winning results.] Horse-phooey, sez I.

It never shows that she doesn't care about that, though. Taking a sport seriously and spoiler[valuing teamwork] definitely aren't mutually exclusive.

EDIT: And concerning your last comment, Blood- (you apparently entered that while I was typing this one), spoiler[yes, she's a massive emerging talent but she also shows quite clearly to be only a reluctant team player. And as pro team sports have repeatedly shown over the years, supremely talented individuals who have "me first" attitudes often end up being just as much of a distraction or detriment to a team as the value they bring. I'm sure something along those lines is what Rin had in mind.]

For the first six episode I'd say Carl's grades are about right. While some of the episodes in this run were exceptional, the series' two weakest episodes to date (eps 5 and 6) are also here. Include in episodes 7-10 and I'd up the Overall and Writing grades each a notch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Polycell: I just don't buy what was set-up. We see Yura being spoiler[incredibly effective and contributing to Meisei's victory at the start of the episode. But supposedly Rin sees something she doesn't like so she deliberately puts an emerging star into a role where her aggression and skill can't be put to the best use?] Baloney. Psychologically, I could see if the show was trying to indicate that Rin wasspoiler[ jealous of Yura and felt her Queen B status was threatened,] but the show doesn't seem to be taking that tack.
Think about it for a moment: in that game, what was Yura supposed to be doing? spoiler[Moving with Rin as a two-man cell]. What did she do? spoiler[Immediately break her role the instant she saw an opportunity to]. Later on, spoiler[she was supposed to be the medic and add a few points to the tally in the last five minutes of each game; instead she only acted as the medic when circumstances forced her to and unilaterally adopted a primarily attacker role the instant she could]. Simply put, what Yura did revealed something about her that wasn't really knowable spoiler[to Rin from her performance in the 24-hour tournament: that Yura simply cannot be relied on to follow orders]. Rin's response was simply the logical one, especially given her established personality.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote
And the show had been showing us that Yura spoiler[has teamwork issues and is excessively focused at winning (and her being the one to do it) for a while, as early as the island episode.]

Key wrote:
Since Japanese otaku usually are averse to dramatic changes in established formats, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this one doesn't go over well sales-wise.

These kinds of shows are hit and miss anyway, and C3bu has been looking to be a poor seller from the beginning and it's never changed. But it's hardly the only cute-girl-doing-cute-things show to sell poorly. Last season's Yuyushiki (which I found to be just alright overall but is pretty well-regarded by a lot of people in my circles) is getting rather mediocre sales, this season's Kiniro Mosaic is looking to do a bit better but hardly an otaku hit. Oh, remember Upotte? As far as I can tell, it was right in line with what you'd expect to appeal to otaku with the premise and it sold pretty badly. C3bu was 'dead on arrival'; it never had a pre-order heartbeat, so it nothing to do with Yura's character arc.

Last edited by HitokiriShadow on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
@HitokiriShadow: In a way, it does: a number of elements were poached from other characters' manga arcs for Yura's anime-original arc and from what I've seen quite a few fans aren't happy with Gainax's changes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Oh, remember Upotte? As far as I can tell, it was right in line with what you'd expect to appeal to otaku with the premise and it sold pretty badly. C3bu was 'dead on arrival'; it never had a pre-order heartbeat, so it nothing to do with Yura's character arc.

Upotte's, like Ebiten's, sales can also be partly be blamed on the ONA style streaming instead of normal late-night run. C3-bu has the "Gainax" label, for whatever that's worth, and it's also not running as an ONA, and yeah, even the first week stalker points had it near the bottom.

Maybe the military otaku just prefer vehicles over firearms. The air force and army anime already did well, so here's to hoping the upcoming navy one does as well.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
@SquadmemberRitsu: Have you actually watched the show at all? That's not what it is and not what happens, not by a big stretch.
I didn't say that's what happened, but I don't see how this is any better. I mean, why do they even need Evangelion levels of wangst in a show about little girls playing a harmless sport? I could forgive it if the characters were mentally screwed up and/or faced with a life or death situation like in Evangelion or if the drama was any good. But no such luck. All this stupidity because the people at Gainax were too damn lazy to do a little research on airsoft and try and make up something in the same vein as the source material. Godammit Gainax, now you've got me defending Evangelion. Was this part of your plan?

Oh, and just to add to this, at the moment I'm watching the GuP specials from the Blu-rays where Yukari talks about the tanks in the show. Seeing the amount of research they put into it really fascinated me. All these little details are things that 99% of the viewers aren't going to even realise. Even the tactics they use in the show are very much rooted in reality. Because of that I looked at this show to learn stuff about airsoft and I get... 2deep4u supernatural explanations, random pretentious bullshit (AIMING WITHOUT AIMING) and silly over the top joke tactics that make no sense in a real world context. They somehow made a harmless game sound less appealing than something that could actually get you killed

The characters suck, the plot sucks, the drama sucks, the airsoft sucks and the show has zero charm. Basically the show has nothing going for it which is evident in its sales.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@HitokiriShadow: In a way, it does: a number of elements were poached from other characters' manga arcs for Yura's anime-original arc and from what I've seen quite a few fans aren't happy with Gainax's changes.

I heard the Choujirou episode was anime-original and I figured the anime has gone off in a starkly different direction, but I doubt all those things were apparent from the first episode, so highly unlikely they had much if any impact. From the very beginning, there was basically zero pre-order interest in the show.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Upotte's, like Ebiten's, sales can also be partly be blamed on the ONA style streaming instead of normal late-night run. C3-bu has the "Gainax" label, for whatever that's worth, and it's also not running as an ONA, and yeah, even the first week stalker points had it near the bottom.

Don't think there have been enough ONA series that we can draw much of a conclusion on how that impacts BD sales, but sure, I suppose it's possible. But yeah, regardless, it's not like the manga fans were showing a strong support for the show at the beginning.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
I mean, why do they even need Evangelion levels of wangst in a show about little girls playing a harmless sport?

They have to go much farther than what they have here to get to NGE levels of angst. Let's not exaggerate.

Quote:
All this stupidity because the people at Gainax were too damn lazy to do a little research on airsoft and try and make up something in the same vein as the source material.

I'm seeing an awful lot of evidence that airsoft was thoroughly researched. If you have proof to the contrary, I'm interested in seeing it.

Quote:
Because of that I looked at this show to learn stuff about airsoft and I get... 2deep4u supernatural explanations, random pretentious bullshit (AIMING WITHOUT AIMING) and silly over the top joke tactics that make no sense in a real world context.

Okay, I'll give you that some of that supernatural and pretentious stuff was silly, but I saw nothing that resembled "joke tactics." Perhaps you can elaborate on what, specifically, you're referring to?

Quote:
The characters suck, the plot sucks, the drama sucks, the airsoft sucks and the show has zero charm. Basically the show has nothing going for it which is evident in its sales.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on that. But if you consider this one to be that bad then this must be a really sucky season for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was quite good at coming up with somewhat realistic airsoft tactics (Karila hiding while propping up the MG as a decoy for instance).

Everything after that has been terrible. From Karila's insane physics defying maneuvers to the island girls using their feet to fire an airsoft gun. I'm not sure if their 'tactics' guy just quit after the first episode but that's probably where I was let down the most with C3-bu.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Fair enough; I had forgotten about that particular scene. And the more that I think about it, I guess there were a couple of other scenes that had their shares of silliness, too. However, let's not try to claim that all of the tactics were silly or terrible. Characters are frequently shown using legitimate tactics like covering fire, setting up crossfires, flanking maneuvers, feints, and so forth, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of shonen action and mecha series in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2