• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Witchblade Acquired, Positioned for Adult Swim

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostWing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first three eps of this show and I enjoyed it.

The show isn't as much in-your-face fan service as you would expect. The story is apparently a lot different than the comic (which may be a good thing, depends on who you ask).

The costume design is also less revealing than it is in the comic. The show has the feel of other recent girl-crossed-with-mecha animes (Saikano being the most obvious show of this type to come to mind).

- GW
Fallen Embers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Here's what bugs me...if they're gonna license it and it is based on a US property..why didn't they launch it at the same time in both countries? Wasn't enough time for a fan-sub following.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:55 am Reply with quote
Wow, I wonder if this will turn out as well as Gun x Sword has in terms of American / Japanese co-production/pre-licensing/crossover. *places Witchblade in "avoid" pile* - I hadn't even heard of this one before, so I don't think I'll lament its possible departure from the downloading scene...*sigh*, looks like another fanservice/action title makes its way here. Oh well, if it makes Funi some money to license some better stuff, more power to them.
beast

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote
Whats wrong with Inuyasha??..damn elitests! Laughing
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
GhostWing wrote:

The show isn't as much in-your-face fan service as you would expect. The story is apparently a lot different than the comic (which may be a good thing, depends on who you ask).

The costume design is also less revealing than it is in the comic. The show has the feel of other recent girl-crossed-with-mecha animes (Saikano being the most obvious show of this type to come to mind).

- GW

Well, that's because the show is edited for TV broadcast. Read the above post by Chrno2 on the subject. I have to disagree with you. In no way does this show feel like Saikano. Also, Sara Pezzini is the best!
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan of the Witchblade comic since the very first issue and I still collect it to this day. That being said, I really do like the concept of the anime and the idea of very different bearers throughout the ages.

As far as the anime, I don't really have a problem with fanservice as long as it's not entirely what it's all about (like Eiken, for example), and I think the fanservice in Witchblade fits the over-the-top (pun intended) tone of the series well myself.

I hope it does show up on Adult Swim, but I plan on getting the R1 DVDs when they hit the States anyway...
GhostWing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
I love posting on forums because people read too deep into what you write. In contrast, I'm not reading too deeply into Mawdryn's comments about Witchblade being over-the-top because it depends on where you think the "top" is... (I think Elfen Lied is far closer to the "top" than Witchblade is Embarassed )

Witchblade isn't like Saikano or for that matter Sadamitsu the Destroyer (two shows I like better than Witchblade from the little I've seen so far), but all three series fit into a type of anime where girls literally fuse with mecha. Sorry if I offended you hikaru004!

As for the version on Japanese TV being editted.. well, who cares? Sure, maybe a special version exists with extremely racy scenes (I'm reminded of the Mezzo Forte OVAs), but until such a version surfaces, it really doesn't matter.

I'm not that big a fan of the comic version primarily because the fan service factor is way over the top, but I enjoyed the first few eps of Witchblade because a story was developing and the show wasn't all about showing off a half-naked well-fronted female. There was a lot more skin in a show like Daphne In The Brilliant Blue, one example of a number of decent anime that might be racier than Witchblade.

Well, I've said enough on this. Good luck to Funi getting this on the Swim (should be doable, assuming the show doesn't go crazy in later episodes - always a possibility).

- GW

PS. To beast: The only thing wrong with InuYasha is that they're about to run out of episodes. Let's hear it for Bleach!
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
GhostWing wrote:
I love posting on forums because people read too deep into what you write. In contrast, I'm not reading too deeply into Mawdryn's comments about Witchblade being over-the-top because it depends on where you think the "top" is... (I think Elfen Lied is far closer to the "top" than Witchblade is Embarassed )

I think you took me too literally. "Over the top" was more a (admittedly bad) joke regarding Masane's frequently jiggling figure more so than the actual content of the series.

Quote:

I'm not that big a fan of the comic version primarily because the fan service factor is way over the top...

Like you said, it depends on where you think the "top" is, but the Witchblade comic is actually very tame in comparison. The covers and other promotional artwork are racy to grab people's attention, yes, but the comic itself for the past few years really has no more fanservice than X-Men or Spider-Man...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:07 am Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
Like you said, it depends on where you think the "top" is, but the Witchblade comic is actually very tame in comparison. The covers and other promotional artwork are racy to grab people's attention, yes, but the comic itself for the past few years really has no more fanservice than X-Men or Spider-Man...

Are you sure you're reading the same Witchblade comic I am? The fan service is very blatant in the comic and far less tame than either of the titles you mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:22 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about the comic a few years earlier, yes, Sara's clothes did explode frequently, but since then, the book has really toned down the fanservice tremendously to where its sometimes non-existent in many issues. Aside from the covers, Sara keeps her clothes on about 95% of the time these days.

When a fill-in artist came in and drew Sara with unusually big boobs about a year ago, readers were in an uproar for months afterwards about how terrible it was. Don't get me wrong, Sara was always designed to be sexier than the average female cop, but she has been toned down a lot from how she used to be depicted by earlier artists...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:38 am Reply with quote
*Looks back at most recent issue he just read a few days ago.*

Hunh. I guess you're right; she does keep her clothes on the whole time in the issue. That didn't used to happen.

Damn, I must not have been paying attention.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Spike TV will have Afro Samurai, too.
Jota

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
You know, it really must be frustrating for [adult swim] to make sure they get their hands on quality like Eureka Seven and then, SURPRISE! have frickin' Inuyasha regularly top it in the ratings. If anyone else frequents the boards on adultswim.com, you'll probably know that many posters there declared it stupid, boring, etc. after one or two episodes.

Hmm. I'm a fan of many of AS's quality anime shows (like GitS, Champloo, Bebop, et al.), and I'm also someone who lost interest in Eureka Seven after a couple of episodes. It's a show that, at least on first inspection, appears to be about giant robots. Engaged in battle for the fate of the world. On flying skateboards.

And it seems to take this premise completely seriously. If it's actually a satire (like Big O), or if it intends to subvert this whole concept and turns it on its head (like Zegapain), that's not apparent from the early episodes. So really, you'll have to forgive those of us who write it off as a standard adolescent power fantasy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It looked like to me that Gonzo was trying to push the barrier for what they could get away with.

I think Gantz already did that.

Fallen Embers wrote:
Here's what bugs me...if they're gonna license it and it is based on a US property..why didn't they launch it at the same time in both countries? Wasn't enough time for a fan-sub following.

You're contradicting yourself.. if it was released at the same time in both countries there would be zero time for a fansub following, and since it is based on a US property it doesn't need a fansub following, if such a thing is ever needed anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2