• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN x Fansubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Lol, although it probaly wasn't obvious i was just kidding.

You might want to be a bit more obvious next time then.

Anyway, is there any point in continuing this discussion? I thought Tempest made ANN's position clear on the subject, and answered all of Zalis' questions; things will go on just like they have before. People will continue to recommend and discus fansubs. And pretty much everyone is fine with this. End of story?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote
Well, this has all been quite interesting...I wasn't trying to ruffle the feathers of the admins or cause a sea change in ANN policy, but this discussion has allowed me to see how "the other side" views things on the fansub recommendation issue. I don't blame some for taking offense at the de facto suggestion to steal anime. However, in this day and age, it's an almost universal assumption that any anime fan on the Internet knows where to find fansubs and has a few series that he or she follows week to week. Because people have this assumption, they don't think anything of saying, "Check this unlicensed series out" [implied: as part of your regular fansub lineup]. It could be a promotion for legitimate non-R1 DVDs, but let's face it: the vast majority of teenage/college-age anime fans are just not going to spend lots of $$$ to import a series just because someone on a message board says they might like it.
And like others have said, the answer to "is it licensed or not?" is 3 clicks away on ANN. A byproduct of the "everyone DLs fansubs" assumption is another assumption that everyone will be familiar with what's licensed and what isn't. Those who are into fansubs are likely to know if a series is licensed, since they know that "Site A doesn't list licensed anime, and I can find Series M at Site A." Call it a practical perk of plunder and piracy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
And pretty much everyone is fine with this. End of story?

Yep.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5