• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion - disappointed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i used to hate it, but after seeing it a couple times it's one of my favorite series.
I think I can understand how you feel. I mean when I original watching the perfect collection, I was so excited to see the grand-daddy of anime. All these interesting questions and yet as time past by no answers it seems. And then of course of infamous last episode so confused and yet the end of evangelion help clear somethings up. But still it was like I spent all this time and money on this show and yet nothing makes senses.

Quite sometime had past and I remember flipping channel and seeing NGE on AS, and they were showing the episode with the four child. There was one scene where shinji and kaji are talking and dealing with human emotions how we attempt to understand one another. And then light bulb whent on in Delta's head. And now I have rewatched the entire series again on Platinum, and I am always watching show on AS when it's on. There is something about this show that is so undeniable, the way it explore shinji life from kid into an adult.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
For me the ending was too "mental." It was like a 70s US movie to me. Been there done that, thank you. To me it suffered the same problem that Last Exile had, trying to do too much in too little time. So I had a feeling of which is real, and are we really settled with the results?
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thats exactly it!

By the time you got to the end of the series you felt that had run out of budget and story.
Space_cowboy64

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Well to be honest after watching anime like chobits and fruits basket i just wanted something that takes it right to the edge of insanity and goes completely nuts and over dramatic. Flcl helped allot here Razz , but to be honest I thought the films were better than the series and I was a big fan of the series. I loved the way the director show no fear what so ever of just taking all the risks and doing it his way, it felt like there was no limit and he really didn’t give a shit about the critics response. (However as well all know there is actually a directors cut version of the film but never mind that). No in all seriousness I thought it was a mind boggling, ecstasy of fantasy and psychology. By taking it to the very edge and not giving in one bit was for me amazing and for the first time in anime truly original. However I did feel Askuka death was just thrown in there for the punters that are all "ahhh action films are the only kind of films righhhht?", man I hate those people, the kind of people who say "why read a book when you can watch a film".

Anyway sorry bout going a bit off there yea so the films I thought were bloody ace.

Space (ooh that rhymed)

Last edited by Space_cowboy64 on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Disapointed with the end of the Eva series, yes I was, it made no sense, made my head hurt and well the quality of the art in the actual animation wasn't up to par (in my opionion) to the rest of the series and the movies.

Death and Rebirth, this is the funny one, I was and I wasn't disapointed with it. I found that it actually made sense and really helped to clear certain elements off the last two or so Eva Eppy's up. However, I was expecting and wanting a movie not a re-hashing off what I just watched.

End of Evagelion. Oh my, this is a masterpiece. I just love this, It is so messed up, just like the series, yet weither or not you want to you actually care about the characters. spoiler[ I was actually blown away with the death of Misota, The massive Eva scence with Askuka, and well the ending, just awsome. It was sort of ironic that the last alive on earth with Shinji was Askuka. ]
Smegger56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:48 am Reply with quote
GospelX wrote:
It ultimately depends on how you approach the series. If you view the series as an action/adventure series, then you didn't get the closure or resolution that you desired. If you look at it as being more of a character-based story, you get everything that you want.

The same discussion about Eva has been held for the past ten years.

That's the thing. IMO, they started off great with the characters. Always wondering where they where going, if anyone would end up with the other (Shinji with Rai or Oskar), Shinji and his dad would recconcile (if ever)... all the relationships i was fasniated with.

But, in the final 2 eps, it felt rushed. there was no real big climax for the story, and no conclusion of the character relationships.

the movies where just plain... confusing. It turned into a big talk-a-thon. Again, i love deep stories, with deep charactes, and a message to boot (Metal Gear Solid springs to mind for that), but the ending of Eva was just a let down. The series was great, the ending of it (the final 2 episodes, and films) where poor.

Last edited by Smegger56 on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Smegger56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:49 am Reply with quote
sorry for the double post.
OneLeggedMonk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
coldfusion5050 wrote:
I really don't see the problem:

At the end of the TV series:
spoiler[
1.) The 17th angel is dead, and humanity has won.

2.) Shinji learns that his life has meaning after killing the only person who showed him true affection without strings.]

At the end of End of Evangelion:

spoiler[
1.) The Hall of Souls (The Black Egg of Lilith) is refilled with the souls of humanity.

2.) Shinji decides to let humanity live its own life and find its own destiny.

3.) And Shinji and Asuka are still fighting . . . life goes on.]

I really don't see where there is no closure and why little questions like spoiler["Where do the Angels come from?"] matter.

The angels Never Die. Shocked
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty old debate, but although people do end up flaming you for saying so, the series ending is crap by .my standards. Did I enjoy watching it? Was I really paying attention to the psychological goings-on of the characters in the series? Do I think that was the whole point of the series? All-around no.

You don't just leave these plot holes so open and decide to focus on the characters, and then claim that was what the series was about, not the storyline that is there for, I guess, no reason now. There ARE ways to end this series with conclusions and character focus at the same time.

The ending was obviously to cut budget costs, and as far as I know, it's been said many times that End of Evangelion was based on the ORIGINAL SCRIPT for episode 25.

Sorry about the ranting...I'm almost tired of making this argument Anime hyper

Last edited by cheezisgoooood on Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hisdon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:

The ending was obviously to cut budget costs, and as far as I know, it's been said many times that End of Evangelion was based on the ORIGINAL SCRIPT for episode 25.

personally I felt the same way, that End of Eva seems like it was suposed to be like episode 25-27ish...and the ending that we know as 25+26 would start up at the part where Shinji got crusified/absorbed into the big white Rei thing.
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
cheezisgoooood wrote:
This is a pretty old debate, but although people do end up flaming you for saying so, the series ending is crap by any standards. Did I enjoy watching it? Was I really paying attention to the psychological goings-on of the characters in the series? Do I think that was the whole point of the series? All-around no.

You don't just leave these plot holes so open and decide to focus on the characters, and then claim that was what the series was about, not the storyline that is there for, I guess, no reason now. There ARE ways to end this series with conclusions and character focus at the same time.

Sorry about the ranting...I'm almost tired of making this argument Anime hyper.

Saying "it's crap by any standards" and saying the psychological aspect of the series was not the point is, well... wrong. It's not crap by my standards; so are my standards wrong comapred to your's? I just took a different outlook on the series and preffered the psyhological aspect to the mecha aspect and all of that. People can get different types of enjoyment out of Evangelion, one of which you got and one of which other people (like me) got. The fact you enjoyed it in a different way doesn't make us wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jdb728

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:04 am Reply with quote
I know I wasn't disapointed by any means. I have yet to see the movies, and I saw the series last year for the first time. I really loved the series. This series isn't my alltime favorite, but it's on the list, and I believe one of the best all around series in anime.

I found that while it was a little confusing at first, I believe almost every major question that came up was answered either in or before the final two episodes. I think the answers are there if you just try to read between the lines, instead of just saying that it's "too confusing, and doesn't make any sense" when a series doesn't basically explain EVERYTHING directly and extremely clear. In regards to Gendo's true motives, I believe it's actually stated by Gendo(but again, it would likely help to try to read between the lines).

The ending animation was likely to cut costs for the episodes(they reused animation a couple of times earlier to). Even though it was likely to be a little cheaper production wise, I personally think the animation style was a perfect fit for the final couple of episodes.

As stated in previous posts, there can be many different "correct" conclusions to be drawn from the series(as far as the final two episodes). I have my correct conclusions, friends of mine have theirs. I may be in the minority(I know many people that aren't in this group), but I actually really like somewhat "open" endings in shows. Sometimes "wrap up" endings(don't know if it's a proper term for it) are good, but I often prefer an "open" ending(as its been stated many times before, an open-ending can lengthen a francise's lifespan, and it's also a little thing that the fans can discuss).

I know that a portion of my post seems kinda rude, I don't want anyone to feel offended, or that I was aiming comments at any one person. This post is made up of my opinions, so the statements aren't all facts.

Thanks. Cool
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
jdb728 wrote:
IThe ending animation was likely to cut costs for the episodes(they reused animation a couple of times earlier to). Even though it was likely to be a little cheaper production wise,

I think this is a urban myth. I had the chance to talk personally to some of the creators behind EVA and they told me indirectly about some schedule problems for the last two episodes, not "financial" problems and the fact that Anno wanted those episodes to be like that. Then, on the other hand, look at the editing job of the last two episodes. Some passages are really amazing with their sheer amount of cuts, and this certainly took some working-time too to be realized.

Quote:
I personally think the animation style was a perfect fit for the final couple of episodes.

Yeah, me too. I'm also part of the minority which never was offended by the original tv ending. Quite on the contrary: I think it's one oft the most interesting tv series endings out there because it was offending to people who expected a proper ending with all things resolved and explained. What basically happened was Anno breaking the rules of (anime-)narration and telling Otaku indirectly via Shinji's self-discovering that there's so much more than 'Anime' and their fetish characters out there. It truly was some kind of meta narration about the show itself and its spectators, a practice one can find in art cinema.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jqsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Eva since high school, and I now associate a lot of it with my own personal issues at the time, which has kind of tainted it. So I don't think I can really weigh in on whether it was actually good. I was mildly disappointed, though.

What I really want to say, though, is that if you were disappoined by Eva, you should go watch Rahxephon. It's got a lot of the same elements, but with a decent budget and more characterization.

I also recommend watching FLCL. It's also got a young boy with issues, sexual hangups, and giant robots, but it will leave you feeling good inside afterwards, rather than empty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mistress9
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Hoenheim wrote:
cheezisgoooood wrote:
This is a pretty old debate, but although people do end up flaming you for saying so, the series ending is crap by any standards. Did I enjoy watching it? Was I really paying attention to the psychological goings-on of the characters in the series? Do I think that was the whole point of the series? All-around no.

Sorry about the ranting...I'm almost tired of making this argument Anime hyper.

Saying "it's crap by any standards" and saying the psychological aspect of the series was not the point is, well... wrong. It's not crap by my standards; so are my standards wrong comapred to your's? I just took a different outlook on the series and preffered the psyhological aspect to the mecha aspect and all of that. People can get different types of enjoyment out of Evangelion, one of which you got and one of which other people (like me) got. The fact you enjoyed it in a different way doesn't make us wrong.

I agree 100% everyone gets something different out off a show like Eva, and well we as fans should acnowldege and respect other's opionions, views and beliefs. I may not have liked the 'robot' aspect, the action squences per say but hey if that is what you liked about EVa then cool! For me it was the pschyolocal aspect. The feelings and messed up musings off the characters kept me on the edge of the seat. So I agree with Hoenhiem here, someone should not overlook any part off Eva even if it's not there cup of tea. Yes to some all that action and the 'robot' stuff was awsome but to just say that's all that's important and not the pscholical parts well that just plain silly.

Also it's just that which makes Eva basically the only Mecca (however the heck you spell it?) series that I not only like but actually love. I have watched others and they just dont' have the same impact as Eva dose for me. But hey like I said earlier if that's what you like cool!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4