• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion - disappointed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunfan9x19

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I haven't watched much anime (though this is not my first series, and EoE was not my first OVA) and haven't been a member here for very long, but I just finished watching this series + EoE, and I want to post my opinions.

First of all, let me start off by saying that I accidentally spend WAY too much money on this. I paid $80 for the Platinum thinpak, thinking I was buying the new Perfect Platinum set that comes with all the extras. AND I opened the shrinkwrap before I realized the mistake, so I was stuck with it. However, having finished it, I can honestly say that while I could have gotten the exact same thing for quite a bit less, I feel that this series gave me far more than my money's worth.

After getting home, realizing that I had purchased the wrong set, calling the retailer and finding out I couldn't return it, I just plugged the first DVD in and sat down. I was drawn in pretty much immediately. Even before the end of the first episode, I found myself absolutely loving the characters (or at least how well-done the characters are, as the show pretty much tells you from the very beginning that Gendo is a giant, cold-hearted asshole). I even liked Shinji. I've read that a lot of people felt that character was too whiny, and while maybe being used to Metal Gear Solid 2's Raiden and Zone of the Enders' (the PS2 game, not the anime) Leo just desensitized me to whiny protagonists, I simply felt his attitude was completely normal for a 14 year-old boy with deep emotional scarring, an estranged father, and a dead mother, who ends up having to risk his life piloting and a giant robot (spoiler[though it actually isn't a robot, as we find out later on and is even insinuated in the first episode]) to fight mysterious, gigantic creatures. Oh, and doing so requires him to confront the father that abandoned him for most of his life. Considering all of that, I don't think you can fairly say that he's excessively whiny.

Though I guess what really drew me into the show during the first couple of minutes was Masado. I didn't know what to make of her; possible love interest, mentor, support character. All I really knew is that she was an incredibly fun character with a lot of room develop.

I suppose I have to get past initial impressions at some point, though. As the series goes on, new characters are introduced, the story develops way past teenagers+robots+aliens+explosions, relationships get deeper, and the show explores the back story of all the big characters. What's more is that the show does all of this without getting too confusing (until the last 4 or 5 episodes anyway, and even then, the series is still easy enough to keep up with until the last two episodes, which, IMHO make sense, but aren't really conclusive), or having the audience lose track of all the different character dynamics. And while the show has it's light moments and often let's the viewer have a bit of fun during most of the battle scenes, it doesn't let you forget for long that the main story arc is quite serious, and some of the episodes towards the end of the series are incredibly dark, and even a little bit disturbing.

As for End of Evangelion, I'm not sure what to say other that: A) It was ****ING AWESOME, and B) it was far more conclusive and satisfying (IMHO) than the last two episodes of the series, though to be perfectly honest, I really didn't think those were bad, I was just disappointed that they didn't end NGE on a more concrete note.

And that's about it for my opinon on Evangelion, but I would like to quickly add that I thought the English translation was VERY well-done, and that many/most of the voice actors fit their characters extremely well (ESPECIALLY Allison Keith as Masato) though I felt the voice-acting for the really minor characters, like the people in the command center, was generally rather poor (not like it detracted anything from the series, though).

Long story short, I LOVED Neon Genesis Evangelion, and would recommend it to all of my friends, whether they like anime or not. I also am quite aware that I probably could have written my review a bit better than I did, but I don't really care. And I would like to finish this rather long-winded post by asking if I should be able to find a copy of End of Evangelion at a reasonable price ($15-20 or under) when I go to Otakon next month, or whether I should "lose" the copy I rented from Blockbuster, and if there are any really great fan sites that I can go to and get all of the information packed away in the Platinum Perfect set not included in the Platinum thinpak, as well as other miscellaneous interesting information about the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4