• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: LA Times Article on Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Anime is not a foreign word.
Is this just pointing out a spelling error? Because the Japanese originally borrowed "animation" from French, shortened it to "anime," and then we adapted their word to mean "animated motion pictures made in Japan" -- that qualifies as a foreign word.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Anime is not a foreign word.
Is this just pointing out a spelling error? Because the Japanese originally borrowed "animation" from French, shortened it to "anime," and then we adapted their word to mean "animated motion pictures made in Japan" -- that qualifies as a foreign word.

Well there is debate whether it is an english word or a french one, even the ANN lexicon is not diffinitive on this.

I would also check this out. I find this to be interesting:

"Paradoxically enough, "Japanimation" is now commonly used in Japan to differentiate between Japanese animation and other animation, all of which is called "Animé.""

So Bugs Bunny is anime huh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
I always thought anime was short for animation like how Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters. That makes more sense to me than borrowing from a French word, considering how the animation style of earlier anime titles like Kimba and Astro Boy were inspired by American cartoons like Betty Boop and Mickey Mouse. If the earliest anime titles were inspired by American cartoons, why would the Japanese name their animation after French cartoons instead of American? Regardless of the origins of the word anime, anime has been adopted as a part of the English language, so does it even count as a "foreign" word anymore? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't vase originally a French word? But it's become such a common part of the English language nobody really considers it to be a foreign word anymore. You could say the same for anime, too. Anyway, that's an interesting article and it's great to see anime being talked about so positively like that and I'm especially glad that they didn't stereotype anime con goers as being annoying geeky types.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes there are variations on the actual meaning of animation, anime, and Japanimation between the West and the East, but publication editors tend to confuse their meaning(s) with their origins. The analogy with Pokemon is a good one, Kouji and quite ironic in the fact that Pokemon is strictly an English word (which sounds Japanese) of the same thing which is distinctly Japanese (Pocket Monsters), rather than a Japanese word (which sounds European) that came out of something that originated as an English term.

For the record, according to the Webster's Dictionary, anime is now considered an official English word, but manga, I think, is still not.

Oops, this has gotten rather [OT] so to get it back [OT] Wink maybe I should actually read the article and then post a comment.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Hope to see whoever's going tomorrow Very Happy
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:59 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Hope to see whoever's going tomorrow Very Happy
See ya on Monday! Also on a small side note for those of you who are in the LA area, last sunday paper also had a big out issue of nothing but anime expo information. I went today (friday) to get my badge and it wasn't even all that bad at around 5 so I am just wondering if I manage to miss all the crazy fans.......I think this (my first anime convention) may send me into some sort of cultural shock.......I kinda feel bad for my GF who is going.

Side on here I was reading Viz's advertisement in the giveaway back and it said that Monster Vol 4 can be pick up at AX, that is pretty cool didn't know about that. I remember hearing that X Remix was going to be on sale early there.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. If you see monday (I'll be sporting the GITS:SAC laughing man shirt, and Delta Kiral tag) say hi and let me know who you are.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote
Goosh I so wish I could make it out there. The damn reports people, take your time and write good ones!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get this job I have a two-part interview for so that I can start saving up for next years AX as soon as I got my first month's wages...
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
I always thought anime was short for animation like how Pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters. .

That's what i think too. Japanese tend to shorten long foreign words, esp. since they are often made longer/more syallables because of the way katakana works. That's why it's "Note" in "Death Note", because a "notebook" is commonly shortened to "note". I'm not surprised if they did the same for anime.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Hm. Well I personally think if it really was just a shortened word they couldn't have picked a better one and where to cut it off.

Animation in French and English is an adaptation of the Latin word animus (-a, -um) meaning soul, mind, or courage. So, really, I don't think there is a better word to commonly refer to Japanese animation in that sense, since in my opinion they give it more animus than anything else out there.

And yeah... wish I could have gone to the convention myself. I know some friends on the east cost that did fly over there just to see CLAMP. I'd rather go to see them instead of CLAMP, but if I could ask CLAMP at least two questions, apparently according to a dream I'd ask them how many times they've been told they look about in their mid 20's or so at most and their philosophy on the character design of Sakura for CCS perhaps. I guess that would be about accurate though, since I really seriously would only want to ask that second one, so why not throw the other in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote
There's actually no mystery about the word "anime" or "animé".

Animé (as it used to be written before the difficulty of typing foreign characters in Windows killed accent marks in modern writing) comes from English. It's "animation", shortened.

It's coincidentally a word in French, meaning "animated", sometimes used as a musical direction, but it's a only semi-coincidence because it's all from the Latin animus, as was mentioned.

The é was to indicate a voiced syllable, not a silent one. This is a tradition as old as Shakespeare. For example, in "Romeo & Juliet":

..By thee, old Capulet, and Montague,
Have thrice disturb'd the quiet of our streets...

he used an apostrophe to indicate that "disturb'd" was two syllables, not three.

But, as in his poem, "Crabbéd Age and Youth", he used an "e" with an acute accent to indicate that the "e" was not silent, thus that the word was two syllables, "crab-bed", not "crabd".

This practice continues today, especially in transliterating Japanese. Look at saké or "Pokémon". Without the accent an ignorant reader might see the words as "sayk" or "pohk-mon". The accent is simply an indicator for the reader; it has nothing to do with French.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2