• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Has anyone seen Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching this show On Demand for a long while now and I'm up to the 29. The series is quite interesting and that got me hooked on it. I wanted to know what other people think about the series and its characters.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
No I haven't but I am sure Mylene will chime in sometime here.

Here is the review on Mylene public list:

Mylene wrote:
My favorite anime. Ever. No competition at all. At least not yet. Fangirling aside, this show has everything. Complexes, love, hate, bishounen, bishoujo, gender-bending, and enough symbolism to make your head want to explode. Except, unlike Evangelion and Lain, the symbolism doesn't seem to be there for the sake of being cryptic, but rather to give deeper meaning to an already intruiging plot. If you start this show, watch it all the way through. Stopping after a handful of episodes might be tempting, but if you give it time to develop (most of the best anime need time to rev up, particularly in the shoujo genre), you're likely to find yourself very pleased with your decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga and I've seen the movie, and the anime series is definitely on my "must buy" list.

My favorite silly anime quote also comes from the Utena movie: spoiler["So, you think you are the only one who can turn into a car?!" ]
blackness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the movie too, and I wouldn't mind getting the movie and the series, either.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
No, I haven't seen it, and I'm pretty sure you haven't seen it either. After all, I read in a very important sounding news source that in fact, no one has ever seen this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I am sure Mylene will chime in sometime here.

Here is the review on Mylene public list:

Mylene wrote:
My favorite anime. Ever. No competition at all. At least not yet. Fangirling aside, this show has everything. Complexes, love, hate, bishounen, bishoujo, gender-bending, and enough symbolism to make your head want to explode. Except, unlike Evangelion and Lain, the symbolism doesn't seem to be there for the sake of being cryptic, but rather to give deeper meaning to an already intruiging plot. If you start this show, watch it all the way through. Stopping after a handful of episodes might be tempting, but if you give it time to develop (most of the best anime need time to rev up, particularly in the shoujo genre), you're likely to find yourself very pleased with your decision.

Mylene and I are in agreement. From the Cloe's Recommendations section of my public list:

Quote:
The best quality of this show is the sheer creativity of its art direction. Spinning roses? Sure. Romanesque architecture in every background? Why not? Upside-down floating castles? Works for me. The animation isn't the greatest, but the engaging story, quirky characters, and bizarre editing techniques reeled me in and kept me at undying attention.

I rated both the TV series and the movie as "masterpiece." With only 20 masterpieces out of over 400 titles, I like to think I'm somewhat picky, too. (Not nearly as picky as a few other public list members, though.) Utena is a title close to my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
blackness wrote:
I wanted to know what other people think about the series and its characters.

Next time, it would be nice if you told everyone your opinion first. Thanks.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1