• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Transformers Trailer Online

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Killer 7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
The trailer looks promising,and i heavily doubt that the Autobots/Decpticons are from Mars.Obviously the war escalated from cybertron to mars and now earth.

I heard that the official trailer will debut at this year's Comiccon as well as the lame ass G4 network.

Now if only some studio will produce a G.I. Joe movie...
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
That's the entire point of a teaser. To tease.

True, but scale model vehicles aren't exactly a motivation for people to catch it. After all, you can catch those in a Godzilla movie. And those at least look more detailed.

Quote:
Making a shitty movie doesn't make the game shitty, nor does it ruin it.

I guess you never played the game based off the Street Fighter movie. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Why you haven't died in your sleep by drowning in your own drool is beyond modern medical science.

Steve, if you don't have anything nice to say...

Quote:
How are the other adaptations Michael Bay has done, the whole uhh.. none of them?

Do remakes of The Birds and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre
count?

Quote:
No, it sucked because Mario is an arkward, vague thing to adapt.

It's not like the Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies of that period were any more "complex".

Quote:
Just because the most recent XMen Films aren't like the 1992 cartoon, doesn't mean they were bad at all.

The X Men movies were actually based off the comics. The X men cartoons were just a sad attempt to cash in on the 80's toy craze by introducing as many characters as possible shooting lasers at each other which would bounce off and push the characters back, thus not doing any real damage to them.
I mean, yeah, that was the norm in the original Transformers and G.I. Joe, but at least the writers of the latter shows actually tried to flesh out the characters.

Riyousha:
Quote:
OK. Now I edit out the word 'rape' and replaced it with the word 'ruin'. Because I don't wanna get banned from the forums. So am I not allowed to say that word on ANN at all?

Don't bother. Steve's just messing with you.

Tenchi:
Quote:
Ehh... despite ADV's optimism, the question as to whether or not the live-action Evangelion movie will ever be made is extremely iffy (and I can almost certainly tell you, if it ever is made, it's not going to be a huge blockbuster in terms of ticket sales).

ADV said at one of their panels that a deal's in the works, but they can't give any details.

VOX:
Quote:
Most of it has been directed at the fact that Michael Bay is directing it but if there's one good thing that Bay does do, it's direct interesting and stylistic action scenes. And what more do you want from a movie about giant transforming robots fighting each other?

Fans hate Michael Bay for the same reasons they enjoy Team America.
imaramman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Yeah... I just wanted to point out the sad irony that people here are actually relieved that Michael Bay is directing a movie.

I mean, congratulations that it's not Uwe Boll, but Michael Bay isn't exactly the Miyazaki of live-action, you know?
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
imaramman wrote:
Yeah... I just wanted to point out the sad irony that people here are actually relieved that Michael Bay is directing a movie.

I mean, congratulations that it's not Uwe Boll, but Michael Bay isn't exactly the Miyazaki of live-action, you know?

Yes but we also have Spileburg(Sp?) on this movie too.
imaramman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. true enough. Hopefully he had a good amount of input. I will see the movie regardless. I mean, giant robot-on-robot action? Count me in. Anime smile

Saw the teaser Saturday night in front of Pirates. Drew cheers, applause, some laughter. Haha.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:16 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
1. True, but scale model vehicles aren't exactly a motivation for people to catch it. After all, you can catch those in a Godzilla movie. And those at least look more detailed.

2. I guess you never played the game based off the Street Fighter movie. Rolling Eyes

3. Steve, if you don't have anything nice to say...

4. Do remakes of The Birds and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre count?

5. It's not like the Stallone and Schwarzenegger movies of that period were any more "complex".

6. The X Men movies were actually based off the comics. The X men cartoons were just a sad attempt to cash in on the 80's toy craze by introducing as many characters as possible shooting lasers at each other which would bounce off and push the characters back, thus not doing any real damage to them.
I mean, yeah, that was the norm in the original Transformers and G.I. Joe, but at least the writers of the latter shows actually tried to flesh out the characters.

7. Don't bother. Steve's just messing with you.

8. ADV said at one of their panels that a deal's in the works, but they can't give any details.

9. Fans hate Michael Bay for the same reasons they enjoy Team America.

1. And perhaps they were going for a more mysterious feel? Godzilla is also a fairly large household name, but considering what it is, people would already technically know what the movie, more or less would be about. Transformers, on the other hand, has been very hush-hush so far, because no one know exactly what is going to happen (sure, there are transformers and name-dropping to 80's and further on brands, but apart from "boy buys junker! it's bumblebee!", which never happened in any of the original comics or series afaik, we still dont know what actually happens).

And maybe, maybe they're just hoping to hook peoplewho'll be like "ohhh, transformers", and their friends will be like "what is that?" and they'll be like "here's a lot of inaccurate information blahblahdecepticonbluh"

2. yeah, forgive me for not wanting to play a shitty game based off a shitty movie, but I try not to punish myself Gatsu Wink

3. Right, so if they make millions of dollars and direct movies then it's open season amirite!?Q

4. You're right, sorry, I thought I meant directing. But even then, how many of those were gigantic, childrens/toy-oriented franchises? Despite the lack of parenting and whatever else, will Mary and Joe Smith and their screaming brood of 4-15 going to be taken to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre, aswell as buying leatherface toys from Kmart with head-lopping action located right next to the One Piece and TMNT toys?

Think not. Michael Bay hasn't done this sort of thing before (children's fantasy/sci-fi nostalgia title), and while he hasn't exactly been grade A in anything else, maybe this is his calling? I dunno, I just think over-reacting to a teaser, as good or bad as it is, is kind of silly.

5. Yeah, but did I ever say they were? Atleast they knew their purpose and could execute themselves with some kind of dignified formula or grace. The Mario movie was based on a game where you ran across the screen, tried to find the princess, beat the crap out of mushrooms and masks, collected coins and rode a dinosaur. Not the easiest thing to turn into a (what I'm assuming was) a 90 minute movie and still be good.

6. You serious? Go back and rewatch the original Transformers cartoon. There's maybe like, a handful of character in Transformers that get ongoing 'development' (octane, starscream, rodimus, red alert), the rest are just personality stereotypes in walking, talking product placement.

Regardless of what the Xmen films were based on, they still turned out to be good, even though they were an adaptation. Transformers, once again, isn't an adaptation of the 1980's cartoon, and it may still turn out to be good. Everyone is of the mindset that since it's not a direct replication of the first three Transformers cartoon episodes, and as we know, this mindset can be proven wrong (once again, with Xmen).

7. We have a topic! (and standards too I guess)

8. Another way of saying 'Neither confirm nor deny'. How long have they been 'in negotiations with unnamed studio X or Y' for anyway?

9. They like the same rehashed South Park jokes every 20 minutes?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
And maybe, maybe they're just hoping to hook peoplewho'll be like "ohhh, transformers", and their friends will be like "what is that?" and they'll be like "here's a lot of inaccurate information blahblahdecepticonbluh"

If no one knows what Transformers is by now, they weren't born in the 80's, or probably wouldn't care to know about it, anyway.It's as much of a household name as Godzilla that even that POS Beast Wars made money off of toy sales.

Quote:
Despite the lack of parenting and whatever else, will Mary and Joe Smith and their screaming brood of 4-15 going to be taken to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre,

Apparently, they do, as I hear a number of people complaining about parents too cheap to buy a baby-sitter taking screaming children to PG 13 and R-rated movies nowadays.

Quote:
aswell as buying leatherface toys from Kmart with head-lopping action located right next to the One Piece and TMNT toys?

If they can sell Freddy Kreuger and Jason Halloween costumes, why not?

Quote:
Think not. Michael Bay hasn't done this sort of thing before (children's fantasy/sci-fi nostalgia title),

What you really mean is he's done movies which are easy enough for children to understand, just not movies specifically for children.

Quote:
The Mario movie was based on a game where you ran across the screen, tried to find the princess, beat the crap out of mushrooms and masks, collected coins and rode a dinosaur. Not the easiest thing to turn into a (what I'm assuming was) a 90 minute movie and still be good.

They can make a cartoon series out of it, so why can't they make a movie?

Quote:
There's maybe like, a handful of character in Transformers that get ongoing 'development' (octane, starscream, rodimus, red alert), the rest are just personality stereotypes in walking, talking product placement.

Compared to similar shows of its day like He-Man and The Chipmunks, Transformers had better writing. Especially in the comics spin-offs. The series ended up being a parody of itself after the movie, but it was probably as close as you were going to get to a cartoon which was meant to sell toys.

Quote:
Transformers, once again, isn't an adaptation of the 1980's cartoon, and it may still turn out to be good.

Not even the recent cartoons are as good as the original show.

Quote:
They like the same rehashed South Park jokes every 20 minutes?

No, they hate crap action films.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

1. If no one knows what Transformers is by now, they weren't born in the 80's, or probably wouldn't care to know about it, anyway.It's as much of a household name as Godzilla that even that POS Beast Wars made money off of toy sales.

2. Apparently, they do, as I hear a number of people complaining about parents too cheap to buy a baby-sitter taking screaming children to PG 13 and R-rated movies nowadays.

3. If they can sell Freddy Kreuger and Jason Halloween costumes, why not?

4. What you really mean is he's done movies which are easy enough for children to understand, just not movies specifically for children.

5. They can make a cartoon series out of it, so why can't they make a movie?

6. Compared to similar shows of its day like He-Man and The Chipmunks, Transformers had better writing. Especially in the comics spin-offs. The series ended up being a parody of itself after the movie, but it was probably as close as you were going to get to a cartoon which was meant to sell toys.

7. Not even the recent cartoons are as good as the original show.

8.No, they hate crap action films.

1. Well even if they weren't born in the 80's they'd still know of it either by comic books or the series that are/were running on CN.

I'm finding it funny that somehow, Transformers supposedly 'had' fleshed out characters and what not, when it didn't, and yet Beast Wars, which is a completely compotent, well developed series, is POS. Seriously, please.

2. Well are they actually meant to? Answer is: no. (it's not difficult in some cases where the line is between 'can do' and 'should do'.

3. Jason and Freddy Kreuger are pop culture icons, and therefore they're buying it based off of pop culture images and what not, not nessecerally because of the films.

Besides, Freddy and Jason are kind of absurd now and have been in absurd things.

4. No, what I'm saying is that he hasn't made a movie which has a secondary (or if not primary) objective to sell other merchandise. Even adaptations like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, even if there were (and I think there were) toys made, they aren't considered the larger, money making things, ticket and DVD sales are (unlike say, Batman, which can make millions at the cinemas, however it can make billions in the toy market, which is was investors want). Not to say Bay would be good at Batman, hell, we don't even know if he'll be good in this, but I'm saying it's worth giving him a shot because he might be able to pull off something good, because he hasn't done this sort of movie before.

5. How long have you been here? Cartoons do not always have the same nessecary pull that large motion pictures have. As such, Cartoons and Movies are also done differently, at different paces, and for slightly different audiences (though I admit, the crossover between the two is also large aswell). Besides, just because you can make a movie, doesn't nessecerally mean it'll be good.

6. Okay, it has better writing than He-man and the Chipmunks, but comparing a horse turd to a cow turd isn't going to do you much good because regardless of which one is better, they're still piles of shit. I always thought the comics were in their own universe, and well, whatever.

The 80's Transformers movie is probably my favourite guilty pleasure movie, but that's all it ever and can be, regardless of how people preach it.

But again we're getting off the original point. Point was, Transformers wasn't very well written. It wasn't very well developed. It had a good hook but yeah, writing wise, nothing special.

7. Well, that's because you grew up with the 80's show, which is a really different beast to what we have today, which are shows based on things that are firstly, aired in a different country, secondly, were previously aimed at a different cultural market (this doesn't mean panty shot sor violence or swearing all the time, but the long stupid expositions and 'flashy' transformations), and thirdly, they sucked, probably nearly as much as the 80's TV show, but because you don't have fond memories of them, you're not going to 'click' with them.

8. such such!
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steve:
Quote:

If no one knows what Transformers is by now, they weren't born in the 80's, or probably wouldn't care to know about it, anyway.It's as much of a household name as Godzilla that even that POS Beast Wars made money off of toy sales.

Quote:
Despite the lack of parenting and whatever else, will Mary and Joe Smith and their screaming brood of 4-15 going to be taken to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre,

Apparently, they do, as I hear a number of people complaining about parents too cheap to buy a baby-sitter taking screaming children to PG 13 and R-rated movies nowadays.

Quote:
aswell as buying leatherface toys from Kmart with head-lopping action located right next to the One Piece and TMNT toys?

If they can sell Freddy Kreuger and Jason Halloween costumes, why not?

Quote:
Think not. Michael Bay hasn't done this sort of thing before (children's fantasy/sci-fi nostalgia title),

What you really mean is he's done movies which are easy enough for children to understand, just not movies specifically for children.

Quote:
The Mario movie was based on a game where you ran across the screen, tried to find the princess, beat the crap out of mushrooms and masks, collected coins and rode a dinosaur. Not the easiest thing to turn into a (what I'm assuming was) a 90 minute movie and still be good.

They can make a cartoon series out of it, so why can't they make a movie?

Quote:
There's maybe like, a handful of character in Transformers that get ongoing 'development' (octane, starscream, rodimus, red alert), the rest are just personality stereotypes in walking, talking product placement.

Compared to similar shows of its day like He-Man and The Chipmunks, Transformers had better writing. Especially in the comics spin-offs. The series ended up being a parody of itself after the movie, but it was probably as close as you were going to get to a cartoon which was meant to sell toys.

Quote:
Transformers, once again, isn't an adaptation of the 1980's cartoon, and it may still turn out to be good.

Not even the recent cartoons are as good as the original show.

Quote:
They like the same rehashed South Park jokes every 20 minutes?

No, they hate crap action films.

You're a Gee-wuunner a person who finds G1 Gold and everything else garbage.

I'm Anti-Geewunner, I like everything else in this Franchise Besides G1. Be it Beast Wars/Beasties, Armada, R.I.D, Energon, Cybertron and such IMO all were better then G1.

But hey what do I know...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4