• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Using "rape" to refer to the maltreatment of anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

See, that is not the same definition of rape everyone knows.....those who instantly think someone is refering to the forcing of sexual acts are gutter minded, and those who post using that word with the meaning of it refering to the forcing of sexual acts are also just as gutter minded.
The word f*ggot also means "pile of sticks". Does that mean I can just walk into a gay bar and use the word f*ggot and not expect anyone to get offended by it just because it also means "pile of sticks"? The word retard also means "to cause to move slowly or delayed", but does that mean I can call 4Kids retarded in front of a mentally handicapped person and not expect them to be offended? No, there's nothing "wrong" with using any of these words because at the end of the day they're just words. What's wrong is that you can easily offend people by using these words in ridicilous ways when there's better more tactful choices you could've used instead. Granted I use the word retarded to insult things often myself, but if somebody repeatedly tells me that they're offended by my use of the word retarded as an insult, I'll stop using it and I certainly won't use the word around mentally handicapped people at all because unlike some people, I know the meaning of the word "respecting others." It's not a matter if these words are wrong to say or not. It's a matter of respecting other people and the fact that you can't understand this makes me wonder what your upbringing as a child was like because you clearly don't have any manners if you can't understand why people can be offended by your choice of words to describe something as trivial as the treatment of a freaking cartoon.

No, I know all about respecting others. It is just words. People easily get offended off of ANYTHING. Because of that easy fact that anything can make someone feel offended it is hard to say anything, because you can offend them with potentially anything you say. So, bearing that in mind, I choose to say whatever I want. Granted, if using the word rape, even if I'm using it in the nonsexual way, will set people off here, I won't say it here. See? I am respecting peoples' requests.

FYI, before you try and judge other people....try and learn stuff about them. You know NOTHING about me, yet you instantly think, that just because I have an opinion, that I was raised wrong.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
No, I know all about respecting others. It is just words. People easily get offended off of ANYTHING. Because of that easy fact that anything can make someone feel offended it is hard to say anything, because you can offend them with potentially anything you say. So, bearing that in mind, I choose to say whatever I want. Granted, if using the word rape, even if I'm using it in the nonsexual way, will set people off here, I won't say it here. See? I am respecting peoples' requests.

I agree with you with about thinking that people get WAY too easily offended. Especially considering this is the internet. I just can't believe how people can be offended by RANDOM people who they don't know anything about and probably don't even care about.

But on the other hand, I really would rather not see this website go to the level of some of the other sites that really have "no limits" (Although, I actually like some of these sites though, I love 4chan and /b/ and /d/ are about as offensive as anything can get. I just don't want to see ANN turn into it.).

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
i can't believe this whole topic is over a freaking word. are people this easily offended? seriously people have a coke and a smile. this should have been locked decaades ago.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:05 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
i can't believe this whole topic is over a freaking word. are people this easily offended? seriously people have a coke and a smile. this should have been locked decaades ago.

It's not so much that most of us are offended as we are annoyed and fed up. Hang around anime fans long enough and you'll hear the word "rape" thrown around like the word "and" when referring to English studios. It gets old. And it's not only old, but whether you take offense or not, it is very rude and tasteless. It's impossible to carry on a half-decent conversation with someone who's going around crying "rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape RAPE" all the time, because it just shows how crass and moronic they are.

I don't want to hear the word used, because I'm fed up with the sort of stupidity its use in such frivolous circumstances accompanies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nomigid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The world would be a much better place if everyone would just remember what every five year old child knows.
" Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can NEVER harm me!"
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Solution: replace the word 'rape' with 'castrate'. People who insist on using a "shocking", violent term involing reproductive organs are happy. There are far less unics than rape victims, so the 'offense' level goes down. It's even a more accurate term, as it refers specifically to a cutting/removal action.

v1cious wrote:
seriously people have a coke and a smile.

Coke would make me frown. I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker. Wink
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Solution: replace the word 'rape' with 'castrate'. People who insist on using a "shocking", violent term involing reproductive organs are happy. There are far less unics than rape victims, so the 'offense' level goes down. It's even a more accurate term, as it refers specifically to a cutting/removal action.

v1cious wrote:
seriously people have a coke and a smile.

Coke would make me frown. I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker. Wink

Castrate works..........but then we'd be offending the Unics! See, you can't use anything without offending anyone.....>_>
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

Castrate works..........but then we'd be offending the Unics! See, you can't use anything without offending anyone.....>_>

*ahem* 'Eunuch', and I wouldn't take offense, but castrate wouldn't really accuratly describe nessecerally what certian companies can and could do (IE editing).

Anyway, I should probably make my stance clear (which has already been made clear by everyone else but it's probably worth saying), that sure, rape has many definitions. However, the use that basically everyone uses it in is in reference to the act of sexual abuse. It's the same as if you call someone a bitch- sure, it [it]means[/i] a female dog, but you're using it as an insult. See the difference?

It's not that I have a deep down, personal issue about it (or anything, despite what I dunno, abunai would think*), it's just considering that this is one of the last public Anime forums where the "i like fma and inuyasha what about u' 'YEAH ITS COOL" "NO UR SHIT LOL" is kept to a relative minimum, I'd expect higher standards of it's patrons (Kind of hipocritical, I know, but I'd like to think I'm getting better Razz)

On top of that, I wouldn't take offence Smile

*don't look into it, abunai Wink
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Koda89 wrote:

*ahem* 'Eunuch', and I wouldn't take offense, but castrate wouldn't really accuratly describe nessecerally what certian companies can and could do (IE editing).

Anyway, I should probably make my stance clear (which has already been made clear by everyone else but it's probably worth saying), that sure, rape has many definitions. However, the use that basically everyone uses it in is in reference to the act of sexual abuse. It's the same as if you call someone a bitch- sure, it [it]means[/i] a female dog, but you're using it as an insult. See the difference?

It's not that I have a deep down, personal issue about it (or anything, despite what I dunno, abunai would think*), it's just considering that this is one of the last public Anime forums where the "i like fma and inuyasha what about u' 'YEAH ITS COOL" "NO UR SHIT LOL" is kept to a relative minimum, I'd expect higher standards of it's patrons (Kind of hipocritical, I know, but I'd like to think I'm getting better Razz)

On top of that, I wouldn't take offence Smile

*don't look into it, abunai Wink

Well, if castrate won't work, if you may so kindly please offer a replacement, yourself?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I personally just use "ruined" to describe when a dubbing company such as 4kids messes up badly on a dub. It's stronger and more effective than the childish "raped" (as used in the context "4kids raped One Piece so badly!").
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
I personally just use "ruined" to describe when a dubbing company such as 4kids messes up badly on a dub. It's stronger and more effective than the childish "raped" (as used in the context "4kids raped One Piece so badly!").

Hmm....ruined;

To destroy completely; demolish

That does work, but ruined has little feeling put into it, and I DO use it, but only if I am only partial to a series, like One Piece, that was ruined to me, however, if I am a die hard fan of a series, and it gets badly edited, then it moves beyond simply being ruined.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
It's not so much that most of us are offended as we are annoyed and fed up. Hang around anime fans long enough and you'll hear the word "rape" thrown around like the word "and" when referring to English studios. It gets old. And it's not only old, but whether you take offense or not, it is very rude and tasteless. It's impossible to carry on a half-decent conversation with someone who's going around crying "rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape rape RAPE" all the time, because it just shows how crass and moronic they are.

I'm going to have to disagree, at least in principle. The simple usage of the word has little to no meaning besides what I know people are trying to imply. I myself use it (and with my roomates a LOT more than I should... we've got about 8-9 references to it from various comics on our 'wall of game'... but that's a different story), but I would most definitely agree that it shouldn't be used as a common verb to describe any situation. People who use the word rape to describe everyone and everything aren't particularly rude in my book as they are unoriginal and inarticulate; if you are going to use the word rape to describe a situation, it should fit the connotations of the word and be only the most extreme examples, corrupting the very ideas and values upon which something is based. To be honest, I don't think even One Piece for all it's hype about the editing deserves the title of "raped".

And for the record, I can honestly say I've worked the bundle of sticks definition of the word 'faggot' into casual conversation once or twice Very Happy (Why is it so satisfying to work in wierd words/definitions into casual conversation? Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tetsujin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
What about the slang verb "screw" as an alternative? I'm surprised it hadn't been suggested earlier, especially since it seems to fit perfectly.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Messed up, didn't do a very good job of it, ruined, hack-job, whatever else. Just make sureyou don't come off as a completely insensitive twit, which is what you do when you use the word 'rape' out of context, in reference to edited anime and what not.
Steroid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that rape carries a strength which is not carried by any other word. It implies that what has been done to the anime is a moral crime of the first order. This is a legitimate opinion by one who holds anime to be something important, nigh sacred, exactly the sort of person who would be likely to frequent an anime site.

However, if a substitute must be obtained, I would suggest blaspheme. It keeps the important elements of the moral crime and the importance of the afflicted anime, though with a term that is somewhat less charged.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6