• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
RainOfSteel wrote:
spoiler[And I was rooting for Yuki, too. I seem to be on the wrong side of wishing for this series.]

Depends on how you look at it. spoiler[There's still hope for Yuki yet, seeing as how his new best friend Kakeru Manabe is trying to hook Yuki up with his own sister, Machi Kuragi, who's got her own issues similar to Yuki's past, explained in volume 17.]
Kelly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
RainOfSteel wrote:
I thought it quite odd that he declared his love for Tohru, and then nothing happens in vols 12 and 13.

I think that has more to do with the large cast. Alot of storylines have been introduced that have to be dealt with before we deal with the big stuff that will essentially signal the end of the series. The last two volumes have pretty much wrapped up Kagura and Ayame's stories, and properly introduced Rin and Kureno (for whom we're presumably going to have to backtrack a little and get backstories before the series starts moving forward again towards it's end). After that, we're going to have to find out what the heck's going on with Shigure and presumably find out what happens with spoiler[Hatori/Mayu and Kureno/Arisa.] Considering the author hinted that she feels bad that she didn't have a chance to do much with Ritsu, I also wouldn't be surprised if Ri makes another visit in the middle of all that, although we pretty much have an idea of how things worked out there. My guess is that finding out what happens with Haru and Momiji spoiler[and considering I really don't think Kyo is actually going to be confined, the way things are going I have a very bad feeling that Momiji is going to be the token major character for whom things end badly to keep the ending from being too unrealistically happy, what with absolutely no sign that his father is going to change his mind or of a miracle occuring that will keep his mother from going mad again if she finds out who he is] will be the last things that happen before we get to the three big issues that will end things - spoiler[who Tohru will end up with, whether Kyo will be locked up, and whether the curse can be broken.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Akane's Girl wrote:
So far I have 9 books but it's true that spoiler[ Akito is woman!I can't believe it!I wanna ask to all of u guys?Why Yuki so scare if he's so close to Him/Her?]

spoiler[Because of the way she treated him when they were younger. At one point Akito was a normal behaving person, but then one day she just snapped, and Yuki was unfortunate enough to get the brunt of her rampage. She would confine him away so no one would see him, she'd beat him, and threaten him. It would be very hard psychologically on the mind of an eight year old, and it still haunts him, though he has been able to supress those feelings nowadays.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Besides that some of you do know how Akito hates her mom and she in turn hates her ya. She raised Akito as a boy and she wasn't exactly given the motherly love that every child have from their own mom so i guess that somehow made Akito develop this sadist kinda psychological problem. Besides, it's also because of her "destiny" to be the "God" of the jyuunishi so she ends up having this superior personality but that could also be because of the so called "spirit" of the "God" that supposedly resides in her before she was even born. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
zekkus wrote:
It's actually in spoiler[Vol 17 and iI think it's chapter 98 cause Tohru is talking to Kureno (The Rooster). *MAJOR SPOILER READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL* He was talking to her about how he's the only zodiac that is free of the curse].

That's why we have SPOILER tags and you have not read earlier posts.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
Well, spoiler[ Akito being a female didn't shock me as much as I would have thought.] But I'm not one of the fans of this character (I read all the chapters of the manga - they are 131, if I'm not mistaken - and 22 volumes). However I do regret the fact that her background isn't very much explained.
spoiler[ I mean, I would have liked to know more about this menage - a - trois: namely how the relationships between she, Kureno and Shigure evolved, how they changed, why they changed. There are some reasons mentioned but only briefly and I would have liked to know much more.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
As far as chapter 124 goes spoiler[Akito pushed Tohru off a cliff and she got a serious head injury that may be fatal, she's still in a coma. And Kyo might kill himself.]

spoiler[akito didn't push Tohru off the cliff. She just happened to be in a this crumbly ground at the edge of the cliff. And as she was offering her hand to Akito to "start all over again" and "let's be friends", the ground gave way and she fell]

zekkus wrote:
It's actually in spoiler[Vol 17 and iI think it's chapter 98 cause Tohru is talking to Kureno (The Rooster). *MAJOR SPOILER READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL* He was talking to her about how he's the only zodiac that is free of the curse].

spoiler[i'm so glad that momiji and Hiro is now free of the curse as well but it's also kinda sad in a way that this thousand year old curse that's been passed down for sooo long in the Sohma family is finally breaking]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Though he is free of the curse, Momiji seems to be acting strangely because of it. I know that he was looking down on Akito as if she were nothing now. That's because she doesn't have any control over him anymore. SOmething you've lived with for all your life and then it's gone. It's like being born blind and 10-18 years latre they perform on you and now you can see.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:50 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ I don't think he is looking down to Akito. I think that actually he discovers that now that the he is freed from the curse he can't do much with his life. He still doesn't have a family (remember how sad he is when he sees his mom), I also suspect he has some feelings for Tohru (but he's already aware that there's something between Kyo and Tohru). Momiji already had the courage to face Akito (chapter 64) and he trully sees now that he must not be afraid anymore. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
spoiler[He did tell Kyo that he would try to get TOhru if Kyo didn't make his move. It looked like there he was playing with him, but it is possible since he is now free, he's for real.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:27 am Reply with quote
spoiler[And remeber how he says to Akito that he is freed from the curse but he still isn't happy cause he can't have the woman that he loves? And in the shadow is Tohru... That's what made me think that Momiji really had feelings for Tohru.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Good thing Yuki got out of the picture, or else it wouldn't be a threesome. It's been interesting to see who would end up with who, at this point, I'm not sure who will get Tohru.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I never wanted for Yuki to be with Tohru. I must confess that much. Anyways, I won't tell you anymore things just not to spoil you the fun of finding out the ending. (I have finished reading the manga. Smile ) But I found it quite a good ending.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
honda-san, can you tell me spoiler[what chapter they finish it at? Or what volume?]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Sure thing. spoiler[ There are 22 volumes and 131 chapter. Which is the last volume that you bought?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 170