• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
An interesting perspective. One thing I would like to point out. At the end of the volume, we encountered spoiler[Komaki's mom. I think she's single, since she got into a fight with Kakeru about not getting to meet Yuki] Laughing

Was that supposed spoiler[to be Komaki's mom? Because the English translation says it's Kakeru's mother. In the fanscan version I had, it was difficult to tell. She still could be single as Kakeru's mother, since she was the "other woman" and Kakeru was the product of an affair. Plus, with the venom between her and Kakeru, I could see that kind of relationship develop after he backed out of the inheritance battle.]

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
hmm, your right spoiler[Kakeru does indeed say that it's his mother. but that would mean that either Komaki frequently visits or that they live together]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, I just get a sleep for about 6 hours and when I get back I find this: a 119 page thread!!! You're just lucky you share the same range of time!! Laughing

My thoughts on Yuki and Machi: well, I think that the reason behind the fact that they don't get as much coverage as the other pair is because the whole story is similar to them. spoiler[What I mean by that is that both Yuki and Machi has suffered a lot because of the damn parents that are too selfish to see beyond their only way to see life. Therefore they have both been affected and they are a lot less sociable then the other pair. I think that I like very much the subtle way through which Takaya-san has developed their story, not insisting too much, like that might distroy their little shyness that they have about one another. Geez, it takes a lot of time to Yuki to finally do something about her even though she has shown her affection in a very nice way: remember how she runs after him just to see if he's ok?] Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Hmm, somebody had stated she was spoiler[Komaki's mom], I wonder how I thought that. That's okay, that really explains why she has an interest in men Laughing Now I go to Kakeru and Komaki. They seem to me, to be having a very healthy relationship. They have had spoiler[to go through hardships, understandings, and love. This is something that happens all the time, and even with all of Kakeru's weirdness and his sometimes being mean to Komaki for calling her the Meat Angel, they still are devoted to each other.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 am Reply with quote
Must read new volume.

Must participate in thread.

Must post something worth reading. Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Must read new volume.

I certainly hope that you at least have the new volume. Has Richard fallen to the temptations of the spoiler tags?!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
Must read new volume.

I certainly hope that you at least have the new volume. Has Richard fallen to the temptations of the spoiler tags?!

I add here: must definetly move somewhere where there's not too much time difference between us. Laughing

I agree with you fighterholic, Komaki and Kakeru find a wonderful way to be together for one another and even more to support themselves in their time of need. spoiler[She has long time ago taught him that the sufference must not be compared and that each person is different and therefore each lives differently. She has brought in his life a dose of seriousness that Kakeru needed especially since he's so completly mad at some points. In the past he might have been accused even of superficiality (still present at times), but Komaki made him see the things differently. ] Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I'm as yet resisting the foul spoiler beast but my HP is low and my MP is 0. Luckily I am a knight.

And I don't have the volume. I'd planned to buy it when I got back from spring break (which I spent blissfully disconnected from most everything and at home with family) but my local comic shop either sold out or never got it in! (I'm planning to borrow a copy tomorrow.)

I actually need to buy most of the series. I've been reading my sister's copies for a while now. Need a Tokyopop sale on TRSI.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I add here: must definetly move somewhere where there's not too much time difference between us.

That would probably help. When I move back to Japan though there shouldn't be that bad of a time difference, but it could depend. Unfortunately that's not going to happen for another year and a half:(

Richard J. wrote:
And I don't have the volume. I'd planned to buy it when I got back from spring break (which I spent blissfully disconnected from most everything and at home with family) but my local comic shop either sold out or never got it in! (I'm planning to borrow a copy tomorrow.)

I actually need to buy most of the series. I've been reading my sister's copies for a while now. Need a Tokyopop sale on TRSI.

Wow, sold out! That just proves how big this series is, since it has been stated to be the number one shojo series in North America. It certainly is innovative. Good luck on buying the series, Richard.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
aya_honda wrote:
I add here: must definetly move somewhere where there's not too much time difference between us.

That would probably help. When I move back to Japan though there shouldn't be that bad of a time difference, but it could depend. Unfortunately that's not going to happen for another year and a half:(

Laughing However no matter where I would move in Europe, there would still be a time difference therefore I'll have to settle for long nights and lost hours of sleep. Twisted Evil

Coming back to volume 19, I still have some thoughts. And of course they are related to Shigure as many of my thoughts have been in the lastest posts. In the scene when he is going to spoiler[Akito and he tells her that she couldn't live in the life that she has imagined. I think that he was implying that not many of the zodiacs would be happy to live like this, trapped and surrounded by Akito's principles and suffocating affection. ]

But what really interested me in this scene was spoiler[ the small interaction that existed between Kureno and Shigure. I think that though they don't talk, Takaya-san sends a lot of messages through the looks that they throw at each other. I believe that at the time, Kureno already knew that he didn't do well by sticking by Akito so much and encourage her strong inclination in depending on others. And also there's the hate between the two men: more like a disdain from Shigure and a disappointment from Kureno. I always wondered why Kureno has never been with the "fantastic three" (Sigure, Hatori, Ayame Laughing ). Has the curse been broken so early in his life? ]
murph76

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Laughing However no matter where I would move in Europe, there would still be a time difference therefore I'll have to settle for long nights and lost hours of sleep. Twisted Evil

Or we could say the Furuba thread never closes, it draws interest 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Very Happy

aya_honda wrote:
Coming back to volume 19, I still have some thoughts. And of course they are related to Shigure as many of my thoughts have been in the lastest posts. In the scene when he is going to spoiler[Akito and he tells her that she couldn't live in the life that she has imagined. I think that he was implying that not many of the zodiacs would be happy to live like this, trapped and surrounded by Akito's principles and suffocating affection. ]

I don't think spoiler[any of the zodiac -- Shigure included -- would be happy living with Akito, and Shigure loves her and is probably the only one who truly wants to be with her. Shigure is in full "tough love" mode in this volume. He realizes they can't be together as Akito is now, so he's trying to provoke a change in her, making her grow and adapt like the other zodiac have.]

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I'm as yet resisting the foul spoiler beast but my HP is low and my MP is 0. Luckily I am a knight.

use your limit break: Find The 100 Dollar bill on the sidewalk

a note on Shigure spoiler[his conversation with Hatori is the first time his real intentions are ever, even in the slightest bit, clear.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:47 am Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
a note on Shigure spoiler[his conversation with Hatori is the first time his real intentions are ever, even in the slightest bit, clear.]

Never better put. You have to think of how some of the characters will express something from earlier, and in this volume we see that happening. From what Hatori said, and what Shigure said. spoiler[Shigure hates Kureno, even going so far as to say it, and probably will until the end when the chance comes for Shigure and Akito to be together.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
And I'll add here that I seriously doubt that Shigure will ever spoiler[forgive Kureno. In a way he's not just the man that has slept with his beloved one but also the man that encourages Akito to act like she does. Even Kureno recognizes that in staying by Akito's side and in accepting her behaviour he has made the matters worse. Therefore Shigure can only see Kureno as the one that has failed the most in his eyes. Mostly because he has acted the way he has. I stongly doubt that Shigure would forgive Kureno even after the curse was broken. ] It's just that Shigure doesn't seem the forgiving type.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I would think so. LATER SPOILER: spoiler[Even after Kureno got stabbed by Akito, Shigure did not seem to care, nor did he talk to him either. When Akito and Shigure got together, there was no reconciliation between Shigure and Kureno. And there probably won't be.] That aside, Shigure obviously works in mysterious and dark ways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 119 of 170