• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Using "rape" to refer to the maltreatment of anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
In the Talkback forums, Steventheeunuch said that there should be a law against me using that word. So what I'm asking is...

Is that word bannable?

[Edit: not a technical question, and an interesting topic for discussion, moved to Anime. Subject adjusted as well. -t]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
He's just giving you a hard time.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:22 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that you're using the word like a petty little child. Rape is pretty serious business, dude, so using the term to describe someone mishandling a cartoon is a little ridicuolous, and some would argue even disrespectful to rape victims.

Generally, it's just rude, crass, childish, excessive, and many of us get annoyed at just how much people like to use that term in such a light.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:37 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
He's just giving you a hard time.

I don't deny that, but I just can't stand people using words that are primarily reserved for gross physical/mental acts against other people for their own, childish grudges.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
But a certain anime dubbing company really does that to certain shows. Need I mention any examples?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:02 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
But a certain anime dubbing company really does that to certain shows. Need I mention any examples?

Oh don't even start. Right now you're typifying the exact childish behaviour I just pointed out a few posts further up. Just because a company edits a show rather heavily does not give you the right to start throwing around a serious concept like rape to describe what someone is doing to a child's cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd a bit of a fense sitter here. "Rape" as a noun, refers to more than the first thing that comes to anyone's mind. Look it up in a dictionary, AirCooledMan_2006's use of the term in not technically incorrect.

However, everyone perceives rape as meaning only "sexual violation" and in fact, when AirCooledMan_2006 says this, "But a certain anime dubbing company really does that to certain shows," he too is thinking of sexual rape. Equating what is done to these shows with sexual rape is extremely immature and crass. Given the fact that you, and everyone who reads your comments, will think of sexual rape, I would like to suggest that there are much better ways to describe what is being done.

I'm pretty sure that the shows in question do not feel violated, in fact, I'm positive they don't feel anything. Victims of rape are most often left mentally and emotionally scarred for life, they require counseling, often become suicidal, are incapable of having "normal" relationships, etc...

So, in other words, despite the fact that you have accidentally managed to use the word "rape" correctly, your intentions and meaning are way off the mark. Find a better word.

-t
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Using "rape" like that is similar to, but worse than, using "gay" to mean "stupid." Both usages are common in conversation, but that doesn't make them right or acceptable. I don't see why "rape" has to be used that way when there are so many other and better words to use, like alter, edit, mutilate, destroy, mangle, butcher, bastardize, bowdlerize, etc.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Instead of using the word 'rape' let's search a thesaurus for other definitions. From dictionary.com:-

abuse, attack, bang, betray, compromise, corrupt, debauch, deceive, defile, deflorate, deflower, despoil, devirginate, dishonor, entice, force, loot, lure, maltreat, mislead, molest, outrage, pillage, plunder, ransack, ravish, ruin, sack, seduce, seize, shame, short-arm heist, spoliate, tempt, violate, wrong

Try using one of these words instead, perhaps people wont get so uptight about it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Riyousha, I'm going to weigh in and state my complete agreement with Steventheeunuch, Nagisa and Zalis116 on this topic.

I think that this sort of misuse of words typifies a cheapening of the language, common among people who have never learned to properly express themselves. If you stoop to it, you're joining their ranks. Up to you, of course, but don't expect the rest of us to accept it.

- abunai
Make a note of this date -- it's a truly rare thing for me to completely agree with Steven on anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm.....am I the only one who views the use of the word "rape" as something other than forcing someone into sexual acts with them?

I mean come on...when I say a company like 4Kids rapes an anime, I am using this definition of the word rape;

Abusive or improper treatment; violation: a rape of justice.

See, that is not the same definition of rape everyone knows.....those who instantly think someone is refering to the forcing of sexual acts are gutter minded, and those who post using that word with the meaning of it refering to the forcing of sexual acts are also just as gutter minded.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
We can't all be Alexander Pope, Koda89.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
We can't all be Alexander Pope, Koda89.

- abunai

True.....but with all the talk of maturity in this thread so far....I just had to through out another meaning to the word rape......-_^
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

See, that is not the same definition of rape everyone knows.....those who instantly think someone is refering to the forcing of sexual acts are gutter minded, and those who post using that word with the meaning of it refering to the forcing of sexual acts are also just as gutter minded.
The word f*ggot also means "pile of sticks". Does that mean I can just walk into a gay bar and use the word f*ggot and not expect anyone to get offended by it just because it also means "pile of sticks"? The word retard also means "to cause to move slowly or delayed", but does that mean I can call 4Kids retarded in front of a mentally handicapped person and not expect them to be offended? No, there's nothing "wrong" with using any of these words because at the end of the day they're just words. What's wrong is that you can easily offend people by using these words in ridicilous ways when there's better more tactful choices you could've used instead. Granted I use the word retarded to insult things often myself, but if somebody repeatedly tells me that they're offended by my use of the word retarded as an insult, I'll stop using it and I certainly won't use the word around mentally handicapped people at all because unlike some people, I know the meaning of the word "respecting others." It's not a matter if these words are wrong to say or not. It's a matter of respecting other people and the fact that you can't understand this makes me wonder what your upbringing as a child was like because you clearly don't have any manners if you can't understand why people can be offended by your choice of words to describe something as trivial as the treatment of a freaking cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Best solution is to just not use the word at all when describing treatment of anime, as I think everybody agrees.

I'm very passive when it comes to foul/offensive language, so usage of the word in this situation doesn't really offend me. But if it offends other people or makes them think lower of you, and there are so many other words to use instead of it, why not just not use it at all?

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6