• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Aims to End Manga in 20 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Good. This series is trolling my life right now. I'll be glad to finally hear the end of it.
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
I disagree, the setting is far more set in fantasy than sciFi. I don't know why you feel so offended by the direction of the series, it's not all humans being titans vs titans - just a select few. The rest still jump about on their 3DMG just fine don't they?

I disagree with that. When you mix medival spidermen (where the animators and director admited to) with super bloody ghost in the shell type gore with a soundtrack with more electronic orchestra beats instead of epic orchestra (though berserk does the same, but it mixed genres). You get ScFi IMO. Fanatsy is much more slower pace of action. Yet these arcs are so unecessarily long.

spoiler[The number of episodes where the team trys to save eran from deadbeat soldiers and trying to get eran to friggen move was the most slow and annoying arc ever. Everyone should have done what Armin did. Stab him in the neck to move! Fight with female titan was close to hair pulling. "trust us and sit on the sidelines instead of actually forming a bond with us and fighting with us side by side making cool titan/3DMG sequences", "oh sorry, friends you didn't know long enough die because I decided to talk smack to a 15meter nice booty titan?. Well even though I basically threantend you to stand down, you could have went against my orders and saved them."]

The direction of the series turned way to fast. The way it was presented was a completly false interpretation of the story were we and many others thought it will be a humanity survival and conqure story like bugs life where bugs (humans in topic Anime hyper) thinking would prevail. The show is basically saying,

spoiler["humans can never beat the titans unless your some whiney protaganist or some badass blondes who can do a emo bite/scratch on themselves to spontaniously grow masses of flesh to turn into titans as well while humans just look at the sidelines and do nothing. And anyone who decides to fight gets touch by death and suddenly turn dumb forgetting acutal strategy to kill the titans and explode in blood or is eaten by the titans"]

Does Berserk follow that? No, the only close thing is gear. That is all. No super powers, no nothin. And the pace from Super Dark Seinen to Super Dark Seinen Fantasy was perfect pace. Not in 7 episodes/2 volumes. Were talking after 24 or 25 volumes.

I do admit I was stupid thinking this would be the next and bestest berserk instead with fast paced action and young but interesting characters, but I was wrong and incredibley dissapointed. Even my friends who love the show and are HUGE berserk fans agree its no where near that quality.

I want to love it. But its mixing genres that don't mix with each other IMO with a quick turn in genres with slow story proggression. Stick to one thing, not try to make them blend into a stinky cheese cake. And If you try to, make it happen instead of making a phsycology shonen lesson out of it.

I hope I don't offend.

Last edited by bs3311 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:20 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
The question is if he will end it at 20 volumes, or in 20 volumes, because that could be a huge difference! But, if its only 20 volumes long, I think that would be a good length, so that it doesn't over stay its welcome. But, its got a couple years left in it then!

You mean at least some 7 years, right?

Divineking wrote:
I don't think some of you get the implications of what "another 20 volumes" would be in monthly manga time. We'd have almost another decade before it ends.

I did my own calculations yesterday, and if it keeps being published at the current pace and ends at volume 20 (with 82 total chapters), it should end by June 2016. So it should take 2 years and 9 months to end.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
SonDavid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
So.... The news says "in 20 volumes". Does that mean 11 + 20? (which would mean 4x20=80 chapters. Or does it mean AT 20 Volumes? 1+(8x4) = 33 chapters....

I believe its 33 since that's roughly 3 years.... 80 ch would be six and a half years...... Unless they plan to go weekly in the future? Has that ever happened? I don't think it will, though.

Either way, I hope they have enough to make 2 more seasons of Attack on titan.... Covering 12 volumes= 48 chapters + 1 of vol8 (if he in fact does end it at exactly 20 volumes) for a 25 episode series seems a bit complicated... (1st season covered 33 chapters with just a bit of filler .... So 49ch in a 25ep might hinder the story telling.... Of course, there is always a chance of a movie since its the most popular anime right now....)

Hope the author thinks of the anime implications just a bit, since his series is, well, Evangelion of 2010s.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am Reply with quote
Well I think he will stick to 20 volumes. I bet the ending will leave a lot of unresolved plotlines and questions to be answered, but hey whatever man. As long as he's got a hit and ends it with a bang, who cares? *Goes back to reading old chapters of Berserk.*
Toriko36

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
The 11th volume is the most recent tankoban released.

I'm sure there will be a second and possibly a third anime series. They just don't have enough material yet for another 25 episode series.

It took years of material for them to create and adapt the first season.

With the Blu Rays selling 30K units a release and DVD's around 10-15K, there will certainly be more than one or two seasons.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
So is that is volume 20 or is it in 20 volumes witch well make it volume 31
bs3311

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
]Well I think he will stick to 20 volumes. I bet the ending will leave a lot of unresolved plotlines and questions to be answered, but hey whatever man. As long as he's got a hit and ends it with a bang, who cares? *Goes back to reading old chapters of Berserk.*

Thats exactly what I was doing when AOT turned sour IMO Laughing Biggest flaw in Berserk. Amazing manga, but creator is basically playing a anime version of a YuGiOh card game setting up the story while in Limbo Anime hyper.

Overall, I really doubt that. With my friend who has read up to speed on AOT, the questions presented in the Anime and manga are still not answered which is sadly disapointing not only because he is using alot of shock/bone tossing tactics. But when a 2nd season gets made. It will be practically be the same as this but without a great beginning IMO. So it might basically be dull. At least the Higurashi Anime answered some things on a specific arc unlike this where the creator is hanging us by the neck IMO.

Shocked Now I see AOT as an MMORPG where all the players/characters do not know the proper rotation, skills, gear, tatics to beat them. And that the only person (me, you, everyone else) is tossing the keyboard around because the party there in knows JS when that person knew how to beat them within 5 seconds.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Kreion wrote:
I disagree, the setting is far more set in fantasy than sciFi. I don't know why you feel so offended by the direction of the series, it's not all humans being titans vs titans - just a select few. The rest still jump about on their 3DMG just fine don't they?

I disagree with that. When you mix medival spidermen (where the animators and director admited to) with super bloody ghost in the shell type gore with a soundtrack with more electronic orchestra beats instead of epic orchestra (though berserk does the same, but it mixed genres). You get ScFi IMO. Fanatsy is much more slower pace of action. Yet these arcs are so unecessarily long.

You obviously don't know what scifi is. Gore and soundtrack does not define a genre.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Something I haven't been clear on. Is the AoT anime ongoing? Or is it just 26 episodes?
Hospodar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Something I haven't been clear on. Is the AoT anime ongoing? Or is it just 26 episodes?

It is 25 Episodes but there is going to be a second season with the numbers it sells.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You obviously don't know what scifi is. Gore and soundtrack does not define a genre.

Yes it can. A genre needs a recipe of things to be the genre represented. Though I agree with you there is not alot to describe it entirely Sci-Fi, but those overweigh the tones of it being Fantasy since that genre revolves around a bit more of magic and slower paced sequences. Though the talking in AOT on MG is so slow and inconsisstently stupid. Plus the show talks about breakthrough in technology to the point of spoiler[biological/physcial change where the characters try to bring scientific reasoning why it happens].
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:20 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Quote:

Yes it can. A genre needs a recipe of things to be the genre represented. Though I agree with you there is not alot to describe it entirely Sci-Fi, but those overweigh the tones of it being Fantasy since that genre revolves around a bit more of magic and slower paced sequences. Though the talking in AOT on MG is so slow and inconsisstently stupid. Plus the show talks about breakthrough in technology to the point of spoiler[biological/physcial change where the characters try to bring scientific reasoning why it happens].

You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Shingeki is, unabashedly, a fantasy setting.

I think you need to read more fantasy novels if you think Shingeki is "sci-fi"
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Hospodar wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

It is 25 Episodes but there is going to be a second season with the numbers it sells.

Assuming its popularity doesn't crater before a second season is possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Yes I do. I read LOTR, HP, Song of Ice and Fire, Eragon, Berserk, and Warriors. Plus I play Fantasy RPG's. I think I have more than enough information to state my opinion. As I said and agreed with him/her that there is not many things to describe it entirely SciFi. But they are a majority compared to fantasy tones. At least have something to stand on instead of blatantly criticising me without anything to back you up. Remember that I'm talking about the Anime. Not the manga that has continued on with the story.

Fantasies bring sense of adventure, while most of the anime is taking place behind walls. The world needs to have rich lore, but all we have is whats shown to us behind the walls and that giant zombies rule the earth like dinosuars. Combat is taken down right in this series, but for fast pace action with MG. You see that in modern mediums like summerblock busters, michael bay movies, or Sci-Fi. And magic, where is the magic? The setting is close to Fantasy, except that humanity has gotten somewhat steampunk (litterally with how humanity is able to use air compressed steel jars of air to accelerate in speed while grappling onto walls in midair though its not steam Anime hyper so its "air punk"?). Fantasy has a complex world, but simple mechanics. How is the MG simple?

Well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5