• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Aims to End Manga in 20 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Shingeki is, unabashedly, a fantasy setting.

I think you need to read more fantasy novels if you think Shingeki is "sci-fi"

Yes I do. I read LOTR, HP, Song of Ice and Fire, Eragon, Berserk, and Warriors. Plus I play Fantasy RPG's. I think I have more than enough information to state my opinion. As I said and agreed with him/her that there is not many things to describe it entirely SciFi. But they are a majority compared to fantasy tones. At least have something to stand on instead of blatantly criticising me without anything to back you up. Remember that I'm talking about the Anime. Not the manga that has continued on with the story.

Fantasies bring sense of adventure, while most of the anime is taking place behind walls. The world needs to have rich lore, but all we have is whats shown to us behind the walls and that giant zombies rule the earth like dinosuars. Combat is taken down right in this series, but for fast pace action with MG. You see that in modern mediums like summerblock busters, michael bay movies, or Sci-Fi. And magic, where is the magic? The setting is close to Fantasy, except that humanity has gotten somewhat steampunk (litterally with how humanity is able to use air compressed steel jars of air to accelerate in speed while grappling onto walls in midair though its not steam Anime hyper so its "air punk"?). Fantasy has a complex world, but simple mechanics. How is the MG simple?

Well?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The magic is that humans can turn into giant fleshless monsters. There's no scientific explanations for that beyond "magic drugs". The setting and tone of Shingeki are fantasy, a low-magic fantasy set in a kind of idyllic world that's overrun with giants. There's nothing to describe it as science fiction beyond some 1800s technology, so if it's not totally fantasy, it's on the cusp of steampunk.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Music does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Combat, or lack thereof, does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Amount of lore does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Presence of magic does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.

You are making a bunch of completely arbitrary qualifications.

The line between sci-fi and fantasy isn't always clear cut but I don't think there's any real argument that Shingeki remotely qualifies as sci-fi.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is kind of Sci-Fi guys. Its definitely skewed more toward fantasy tropes. But its got various things that tick science fiction boxes too. Mostly concerning its social aspects, its 3D maneuver gear technology and its implications to military tactics, scientific method being applied to Titans, etc... I can definitely see where the appeal to science fiction fans would come from. Its the type of show you really can't box into one genre. Really I'd classify its genre as Horror/Adventure of all god damn things.

Edit: also its likely this is Alternate History. another Science Fiction box tick.

Also keep the manga spoilers out of this god damn thread. Jesus.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Attack on Titan is kind of Sci-Fi guys. Its definitely skewed more toward fantasy tropes. But its got various things that tick science fiction boxes too. Mostly concerning its social aspects, its 3D maneuver gear technology and its implications to military tactics, scientific method being applied to Titans, etc... I can definitely see where the appeal to science fiction fans would come from. Its the type of show you really can't box into one genre. Really I'd classify its genre as Horror/Adventure of all god damn things.

Edit: also its likely this is Alternate History. another Science Fiction box tick.

Alternate history is very possible, though I'm not sure that in itself is enough to make it count as sci-fi. Not seeing how "social aspects" has any bearing on the issue. The 3D maneuver gear existing is the only thing that I can see as being meaningful to the discussion (the tactics, not so much), but that alone hardly seems like enough to call it sci-fi rather than fantasy.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not seeing how "social aspects" has any bearing on the issue.

Science Fiction has a long history of examining the social ramifications of a given extreme situation. The Walled culture of AoT is an isolated hybridized culture that after hundreds of years has fallen into apathy, bureaucracy, and religious fundamentalism. While this sort of examination of culture isn't exclusive to Sci-Fi, its a recurring theme within the genre.

Quote:
The 3D maneuver gear existing is the only thing that I can see as being meaningful to the discussion (the tactics, not so much)

The tactics on presentation is the most important thing. As a recurring theme of Science fiction is looking at the implication of new or strange technology on a military force (or Civilian group). Since the manga/show doesn't gloss over the details and generally does a good job of showing what 3D Maneuver Gear can do for an armed and trained military force, it definitely qualifies.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Alternate history is very possible, though I'm not sure that in itself is enough to make it count as sci-fi. Not seeing how "social aspects" has any bearing on the issue. The 3D maneuver gear existing is the only thing that I can see as being meaningful to the discussion (the tactics, not so much), but that alone hardly seems like enough to call it sci-fi rather than fantasy.

I wouldn't call this Sci-Fi. There isn't any real science in it. It's a low tech environment (compared to our own) and the 3D gear is basically a black box. Just because there may be explanations for how things work doesn't keep it from being fantastical rather than scientific. I've read plenty of books that have a very detailed and logically defined magic system... because magic works in that world.

Even being generous with the "science" part, I still don't think AoT qualifies. I do think they try to be realistic within the strictures given for that world, but it's not our world -- not even an alternative history of our world, IMO. Things like the Titans simply would not work in our world, and the 3D gear, from what we're told of it, couldn't function the way it does in the story, to say nothing of people's ability to actually make use of it in any useful way. Also, from a biological standpoint, people turning into Titans and the way the transformation happens also seems impossible from a scientific perspective (YMMV).

I'd classify AoT a Low Fantasy / Horror, with a Middle-ages tech level and a dash of steam punk thrown in for good measure.

Edit: And, Mr. Adventure the examples you mentioned can be found in both regular Fiction and sometimes in Fantasy as well. The fact that Science Fiction makes use of it too doesn't make something that uses it Science Fiction.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, I kind of think that this kind of hairsplitting is silly but I'll give my take on it.

I think the dividing line between sci-fi and fantasy is more of...I guess an "atmosphere" kind of thing? The amount of emphasis between absolutely unexplainable phenomena and phenomena which even though unexplainable has some kind of root in "science" (not just plausibility!). The emphasis between things like technology and stuff which is readily identified as magic.

If it turns out the Titan's were created in a lab through splicing recombinant DNA with super growth hormones or something, then it's "sci-fi" in my book.

If it turns out that they were made when someone opened a spell book and accidently summoned the Demon Lord Grhnk' Ak and made a transforming serum out of his blood, then I'd call it fantasy.

I'm honestly leaning on the science thing, if only because Erin's father whose a doctor or something has something to do with them, and then there's Hange who is studying the titans in a more or less scientific way. I think these two things contribute a lot to the "atmosphere" that seems sci-fi to me.

Of course, there's also further definitions of "hard sci-fi" and "soft sci-fi" which would confuse matters even more. Hell, I don't know which of the two AoT would fall on...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
While this sort of examination of culture isn't exclusive to Sci-Fi, its a recurring theme within the genre.

Right, simply having this element doesn't make something sci-fi, other things, including fantasy, are allowed to do it and it doesn't make them even part sci-fi because they do. This is like saying Call of Duty is an RPG because RPGs commonly have leveling systems and they started using levels and skill upgrades a few games ago.

Quote:
As a recurring theme of Science fiction is looking at the implication of new or strange technology on a military force (or Civilian group). Since the manga/show doesn't gloss over the details and generally does a good job of showing what 3D Maneuver Gear can do for an armed and trained military force, it definitely qualifies.

Okay, fair point, the tactics matter as much as the existence. But even so, I don't think this is enough for the show to count as sci-fi, it just means it's taking a relatively smart approach to a fantasy setting and the tools it made for it. The 3D gear was made for combating the titans and while it affects their tactics for that, it doesn't seem to have any impact on their society beyond that. Some fantasy stories take relatively scientific approaches to magic, but I don't think that would automatically make them sci-fi.
animeintoreality99

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
is it true that the SNK anime will end on episode 25?..
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This season of it, yeah, there's no more scheduled for airing or for disc. I think it may also be a few years until the next season so they can properly adapt without needing to stretch scenes out.

I fear this will become another High School of the Dead and Rosario Vampire situation, won't it?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Rosario Vampire situation

I think the problem with that was that the anime just gave a middle finger to the source material, not that it ever was running low on material to adapt.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
While this sort of examination of culture isn't exclusive to Sci-Fi, its a recurring theme within the genre.

Right, simply having this element doesn't make something sci-fi,

Right, but having it in conjunction with it's other more sci-fi aspects definitely swings it more in that direction. It not just one thing that makes it genre X. It's many things.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for no lack of comment. Was working on mowing and youtube editing.

Well. So far at least you all see the aspects, and I'm fine with that even though some still don't see it. Though Hitokiri.

Quote:
Music does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Combat, or lack thereof, does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Amount of lore does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.
Presence of magic does not determine whether or not something is fantasy or sci-fi.

You are making a bunch of completely arbitrary qualifications.

The line between sci-fi and fantasy isn't always clear cut but I don't think there's any real argument that Shingeki remotely qualifies as sci-fi.

Those "arbitrary qualifications" are the common setup of these genres that are accepted worldwide. GhTS follows these principles for Sci-Fi, Orphen follows them for Fantasy. The only time I can admit was back in 70s and 80s anime where for some reason Intergalatic fights with people who can destroy a planet with a single toe (DBZ) called for orchestra pieces that pulled me away from it (Bruce FTW!) and many others can agree, just check the youtube comments. Overall, when people come to look for something. They look for specific things. And AOT had the sense of Fantasy for a bit until going 180 so the fantasy stuff is basically being pulled by the pinky.

From the New World Is another example of Sci-Fi not without the course of action scenes, but with social society breakdown and development of civilization.

AOT does the same thing. People question the walls, Humanity is falling apart, and Civilization trys to find a new system. Theres even backstory in civilization when there were originally races from our present time or before have lived before the titans came and plundered. That can lead to speculization that Humanity was probably advance until the titans came along.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
The magic is that humans can turn into giant fleshless monsters. There's no scientific explanations for that beyond "magic drugs". The setting and tone of Shingeki are fantasy, a low-magic fantasy set in a kind of idyllic world that's overrun with giants. There's nothing to describe it as science fiction beyond some 1800s technology, so if it's not totally fantasy, it's on the cusp of steampunk.

Yet we see the scientist that are close to the survey corpe trying to find scientific reasoning behind it and are using terms that conclude that somehow spoiler[eren is collecting tissue in his surrounding area]. Though I mentioned that society/setting is closer to Steampunk so at least theres something we can agree both on.

MrAdventure wrote:
I can definitely see where the appeal to science fiction fans would come from. Its the type of show you really can't box into one genre. Really I'd classify its genre as Horror/Adventure of all god damn things.
Also keep the manga spoilers out of this god damn thread. Jesus.

Thank you for at least seeing possabilities for why people like my self write that conclusion in our minds. I see the Fantasy, but its just so tiny in my eyes when this show is trying to throw realism,biological growth, and tech progress in it.

I cover my spoilers, is that still a problem Embarassed

All in all. I'm going to have a fun time reviewing this Laughing
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
You literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Shingeki is, unabashedly, a fantasy setting.

I think you need to read more fantasy novels if you think Shingeki is "sci-fi"

Yes I do. I read LOTR, HP, Song of Ice and Fire, Eragon, Berserk, and Warriors. Plus I play Fantasy RPG's. I think I have more than enough information to state my opinion. As I said and agreed with him/her that there is not many things to describe it entirely SciFi. But they are a majority compared to fantasy tones. At least have something to stand on instead of blatantly criticising me without anything to back you up. Remember that I'm talking about the Anime. Not the manga that has continued on with the story.

Fantasies bring sense of adventure, while most of the anime is taking place behind walls. The world needs to have rich lore, but all we have is whats shown to us behind the walls and that giant zombies rule the earth like dinosuars. Combat is taken down right in this series, but for fast pace action with MG. You see that in modern mediums like summerblock busters, michael bay movies, or Sci-Fi. And magic, where is the magic? The setting is close to Fantasy, except that humanity has gotten somewhat steampunk (litterally with how humanity is able to use air compressed steel jars of air to accelerate in speed while grappling onto walls in midair though its not steam Anime hyper so its "air punk"?). Fantasy has a complex world, but simple mechanics. How is the MG simple?

Well?

You're thinking of high fantasy, a subset of the fantasy genre. Attack on Titan is by no means high fantasy, but it is still fantasy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5