• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Creator Aims to End Manga in 20 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
When in doubt about genre go with speculative fiction.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
You're thinking of high fantasy, a subset of the fantasy genre. Attack on Titan is by no means high fantasy, but it is still fantasy.

I was talking about both high, mid, and low. FFXV is mid fantasy. Warriors is Low fantasy. AOT is trying to be low but the characters in the story and even the halftime info is successfully pulling physical substance to it. Just because buildings are made of stone do not make it fantasy no matter what level you put on it. AOT is similar to From the New World where though civilization looks non advance. Society is growing with tech biology, civilization wise. Though AOT is mixed with growth in civilization, bio, and even weaponry.
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
When in doubt about genre go with speculative fiction.

Ow! Way to hit where it hurts on everybody Anime hyper. But are'nt we all talking about fiction? No matter how Sci-Fi or Fantasy it is?

If so, then i might as well wait on a director interview where they ask the genre question.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:
You're thinking of high fantasy, a subset of the fantasy genre. Attack on Titan is by no means high fantasy, but it is still fantasy.

I was talking about both high, mid, and low. FFXV is mid fantasy. Warriors is Low fantasy. AOT is trying to be low but the characters in the story and even the halftime info is successfully pulling physical substance to it. Just because buildings are made of stone do not make it fantasy no matter what level you put on it. AOT is similar to From the New World where though civilization looks non advance. Society is growing with tech biology, civilization wise. Though AOT is mixed with growth in civilization, bio, and even weaponry.

You could make a convincing argument that AoT is science fantasy. But scifi is too much of a stretch
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
You could make a convincing argument that AoT is science fantasy. But scifi is too much of a stretch

I've had the vibe that it is science fiction akin to the Pern novels, where it starts out looking very much like fantasy but ends up having an end based in science. To me (and I can't all it a spoiler but conjecture based upon hints in the manga/anime, but I'll put it in spoiler tags anyway). spoiler[I believe that we'll find that the titans are the result of a government/secret organization's experiment gone awry, one developed to give mankind a common enemy and bring about peace. And it did for a time, but then someone resurrected the experiments possibly to increase the military's power and influence, and brought the titans back. Steampunk contraptions are used not only throughout the city, but steam and heat are part of the titan makeup, so I think that we'll find that tech somehow related to what they actually are. Aside from being converted humans. ]

So for that reason this series has a distinctly science fiction feel to me, even if it's only given me hints toward where it's going. (and just to offer some creds, I've been reading science fiction and fantasy for 40 years, and drive my friends crazy because I see the first five minutes of a movie like The Sixth Sense and tell them what the big reveal will be, if they ask. They don't ask anymore. ;P)
oblivious247

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
oblivious247 wrote:

I've had the vibe that it is science fiction akin to the Pern novels, where it starts out looking very much like fantasy but ends up having an end based in science. To me (and I can't all it a spoiler but conjecture based upon hints in the manga/anime, but I'll put it in spoiler tags anyway). spoiler[I believe that we'll find that the titans are the result of a government/secret organization's experiment gone awry, one developed to give mankind a common enemy and bring about peace. And it did for a time, but then someone resurrected the experiments possibly to increase the military's power and influence, and brought the titans back. Steampunk contraptions are used not only throughout the city, but steam and heat are part of the titan makeup, so I think that we'll find that tech somehow related to what they actually are. Aside from being converted humans. ]

So for that reason this series has a distinctly science fiction feel to me, even if it's only given me hints toward where it's going. (and just to offer some creds, I've been reading science fiction and fantasy for 40 years, and drive my friends crazy because I see the first five minutes of a movie like The Sixth Sense and tell them what the big reveal will be, if they ask. They don't ask anymore. ;P)

Ah Pern. I would also classify that as science fantasy. Science fantasy for those not in the know is basically the subgenre that bridges fantasy and scifi. The elements lean more towards fantasy but there is some scientific basis to them.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote
oblivious247 wrote:
Ah Pern. I would also classify that as science fantasy. Science fantasy for those not in the know is basically the subgenre that bridges fantasy and scifi. The elements lean more towards fantasy but there is some scientific basis to them.

Except that the Pern books through the course of the series scientifically explain everything in the books that you once thought was fantasy, so there are no fantasy elements left in the end. That's what I think will happen here. Other series like that that I love are CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy and Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. You think they're fantasy but they are not.

Science fantasy to me is Jack Vance's The Dying Earth, where you're told it's the Earth's far future, but the tech and humans are so far advanced with no other explanations that the story is essentially fantasy.
Ginsan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Should've known that this is gonna be loaded with "... this won't be like those ongoing JUMP series ..." >.> One Piece still have a lot to explore, and it's not dying yet, it has a decent plot going on, and Naruto is heading for it's finale already. Naruto cannot end sooner because it will definitely feel incomplete. As for Bleach, yes it could've ended sooner at a very good place, but well.. w/e the rest of the chapters feels like it's a service for the fans anyway.

On topic, few years more to go. How great it would be if it's a weekly manga instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5