• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your OWN manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoryG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Doug666 wrote:
im working on a story, but i can't find anyone who can draw out the art for my story...

have you asked everyone you know that can draw?
RoryG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Doug666 wrote:
im working on a story, but i can't find anyone who can draw out the art for my story...

have you asked everyone you know that can draw?
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Or try to draw yourself, practice, practice, practice!

You know, practice makes perfect! Smile
SoraSin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
SoraSin wrote:
Quote:
So, what do you think of my parody on Naruto, Final Fantasy and Love Hina? Smile

Sounds cool and funny.How many pages have you completed?

About 40 pages has been all cleared, and much more is sketched.

How about your manga?

I have completed about 120 pages. I still need to edit some stuff though. about 40 more pages and I'll be done with the first Volume. Just need my touch-up artist and my editor to handle the rest. (There not really editors and touch-up artists, but they volunteered to be.)
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote
OnePieceFANatic wrote:
Anyway, I know it wouldn't actually BE a manga, because I'm not Japanese, but I would like to make the art style similar to the Japanese ones. And I'd like to call it a manga *sniff*...

I think it just wouldn't really be manga if it wasn't published in Japan; even The Xenos mentioned that Paul Pope could be called a manga artist because of his works he published for the Japanese market, and he certainly isn't Japanese.

Likewise if you were to publish for the Korean or Chinese comic market, it would probably be the same. Another reason I find this whole "What is manga" debate amusing, because nobody ever remembers Chinese and Korean comics simply because they aren't as popular as manga and people wouldn't rattle your head as much if you called your comic a manhwa or a manhua even if you're not Chinese or Korean.

When it comes to writing comics, I have a hard time. I can easily write a comic if I'm seeing the pages in my head -- the text and everything -- but if I try to write it first, I have difficulties. Even without that complication I always have found the first chapter to be the hardest to write before I start to draw anything. I wish I was as far with actually drawing as some other people were, but for now I really just work on doujinshi. I'd like to get a few of my works published for the Japanese market in Japan. And I know people are going to argue with me about this, but the truth is, I've already read so many different things about the idea and I'm still going to do it. Of course, I have other plans as well, but that's still my dream.
SoraSin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:
OnePieceFANatic wrote:
Anyway, I know it wouldn't actually BE a manga, because I'm not Japanese, but I would like to make the art style similar to the Japanese ones. And I'd like to call it a manga *sniff*...

I think it just wouldn't really be manga if it wasn't published in Japan; even The Xenos mentioned that Paul Pope could be called a manga artist because of his works he published for the Japanese market, and he certainly isn't Japanese.

Likewise if you were to publish for the Korean or Chinese comic market, it would probably be the same. Another reason I find this whole "What is manga" debate amusing, because nobody ever remembers Chinese and Korean comics simply because they aren't as popular as manga and people wouldn't rattle your head as much if you called your comic a manhwa or a manhua even if you're not Chinese or Korean.

When it comes to writing comics, I have a hard time. I can easily write a comic if I'm seeing the pages in my head -- the text and everything -- but if I try to write it first, I have difficulties. Even without that complication I always have found the first chapter to be the hardest to write before I start to draw anything. I wish I was as far with actually drawing as some other people were, but for now I really just work on doujinshi. I'd like to get a few of my works published for the Japanese market in Japan. And I know people are going to argue with me about this, but the truth is, I've already read so many different things about the idea and I'm still going to do it. Of course, I have other plans as well, but that's still my dream.

Sweet go for it! about the Korean comics. I've read Ragnarok that's korean and I've seen Bast of Syndrome Korean anime
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Korean and Chinese comics look really interesting. I haven't gotten to read Ragnarok but Demon Diary was really good. And a lot of the manhua I've seen have really nice art.

So, do you have a link or anything for your manga, like pictures or the story? I'm still in the stage of story planning but I have a lot of the character designs done. I think character designing is the best part about drawing comics, personally.
fayers_07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
Or try to draw yourself, practice, practice, practice!

You know, practice makes perfect! Smile

yup, true. i sucked last year but last summer vacation, all i did was draw and they're pretty much better. although i need atleast an hour to edit it out.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I had a pretty cool dream last night that I think would make an interesting comic. The tentative title is “Mary, Queen of Sticks”.

An eight year old girl named Mary is separated from her Girl Scout troop on a camping trip to the forest. She wanders alone for three days, trying to get back to the camp grounds, when she finds a civilization with buildings and people made entirely out of cardboard in a clearing. A cardboard cut-out of an elderly woman washing her cloths outside spots Mary. She is shocked to discover that Mary is not made out of cardboard, but takes pitty on the scared and frightened child and gives her temporary housing. She calls up a bunch of her old lady friends to show off her unusual find, and they in turn alert the media. The story gets a lot of press coverage, and the old woman and Mary are invited to appear on a popular talk show for a live interview. During the talk show, the old lady does all the talking, and Mary can't get a word in. She is bored, and takes a dirty stick out of her pocket and starts chewing on it. (It was her emergency back-up food supply while in the forest if she couldn't find anything living to eat.) People around the card-board village are shocked! They have never seen a stick before in their lives! Mary is deified for her possession of the twig and is crowned “Queen of Sticks”, and ruler of the cardboard civilization place that doesn’t have a name yet. A church is built in her name where people can worship her, her face is printed on T-Shirts, pencils, and various other merchandise, and she even has her own line-up of action figures, sculptures, and figurines. A cardboard girl-gang called The Lipstick Fiends despises Mary and all that she stands for. They believe wheat is superior, and they will not tolerate a nation lead in the name of sticks! They plan to overthrow Mary and steal her crown.

And then I woke up, so I don’t know what happens next. What do you guys think? Does it sound interesting, or just plain stupid?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Wolverine Princess' story.

I have read some of your stories, and they seem very interesting, especially when you can dream these. Sometimes I dream stuff up also, and I use to write them down so maybe I could create something with them, although I stopped a long ago. When I remember the one I actually wrote down somewhere, I'll put it down here.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Sometimes I dream stuff up also, and I use to write them down so maybe I could create something with them, although I stopped a long ago. When I remember the one I actually wrote down somewhere, I'll put it down here.

I kept a dream journal when I lived in Ireland a few years ago; I would write down whatever I could remember of my dreams first thing when I awoke every morning; there are some pretty bizarre scenarios written in that little book. I haven't used any of the ideas in a piece of art yet, though.

Oh, and Wolverine Princess, your story sounds like a set-up for a Junko Mizuno manga to me, for some reason. I like how strange it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SoraSin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:
Yeah, the Korean and Chinese comics look really interesting. I haven't gotten to read Ragnarok but Demon Diary was really good. And a lot of the manhua I've seen have really nice art.

So, do you have a link or anything for your manga, like pictures or the story? I'm still in the stage of story planning but I have a lot of the character designs done. I think character designing is the best part about drawing comics, personally.

I do have pics but I don't know how to post them so untl I find out how to. I wont be able to post anything. My story is on the first page though.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:56 am Reply with quote
Story

Jesus christ, you are awesome! Keep it up.
SoraSin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:43 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Story

Jesus christ, you are awesome! Keep it up.

Wow, it does sound intereting. So are you going to try to make it.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
I'd like a manga where the guy just confesses his love to the girl and never once goes near a shower or a hot spring or anywhere else like that, and everyone lives happily ever after instead of dragging it out. But that would never sell, so whatever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 22