• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - FIFA Drift

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halochief_90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Close the door. Turn off the lights. Turn the sound up. Remove yourself from any and all distractions. If you’re in the right mood, Speed Grapher will blow your mind.
Maybe I will enjoy Speed Grapher after all, as that is the only way I watch my anime! For some anime, I've tried watching while it was more lit, and quieter, but I found the sound and music is much less intense, and the animation often just plain and simple, looks better when it's surrounded by darkness. However when you look at casual shows like Case Closed or Naruto, it doesn't really matter the atmosphere, I basically experience those shows the same way every time. And those are still easy to watch when say, your mom starts a small conversation (read: argument) about how "you watching anime isn't going to get you anywhere in life"! Regardless, I do find atmosphere is key for a lot of titles, and can severely higher your interest in some series'.
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Case wrote:
I'm left scratching my head as to how Takahashi Anthology is supposed to taste like Tactics.

I don't think it's supposed to.

Actually, Mermaid Forest is season two of Rumiko Takahashi Anthology. I assumed Bamboo meant that.

EDIT: Either my spelling or my typing sucks today...
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:52 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
space clam wrote:
So Deep is difficult?

You don't think So Deep is hard on Heavy? Besides the usual culprits like Max300 and stuff, I think So Deep is one of the harder ones just because it exhausts you so much.

Man, if you think it's easy, then I bow to your DDR skills.

In my experience, So Deep is hard if you're moving way too much. The few candlesteps the song has are nearly nullified by the fact that there's more than 1/16th of a beat separating them. Ideally you want to not be lifting your feet more than a 1/2 inch off the pad (this holds true for basically every song), and you should be able to glide in a very smooth and consistent rhythm. I guess it depends on whether you still play or not, or if you do to what extent you play. I'm nowhere near the highest eschelon of players of ITG or PIU (I hardly play DDR anymore) but I've still at least AA'd all but 3 songs on 8th Mix. Nowadays folks like BlueMystic and Dukamok are pushing the bounds of difficulty farther than most would've guessed even a year ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I'm nowhere near the highest eschelon of players of ITG or PIU (I hardly play DDR anymore) but I've still at least AA'd all but 3 songs on 8th Mix. Nowadays folks like BlueMystic and Dukamok are pushing the bounds of difficulty farther than most would've guessed even a year ago.

True, but I'd like to see them do it without the bar. Everything's harder without the bar, because you don't have the balance, and the weight distribution is completely different.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
RC Cola. It tastes like Coke, but no one would buy it over real Coke unless you’re a broke-ass college student.

I didn't think the Tactics anime was *quite* RC Cola bad, although, as someone who has enjoyed the manga alot so far, I will admit it was something of a disappointment. In my opinion, it's the lack of humour in the anime that disappointed me, compared with the manga. On top of that, the pointlessness of the anime-only Suzu Edogawa annoys me to no end. Her existence alone was enough to make me want to hate the anime.
space clam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:44 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
True, but I'd like to see them do it without the bar. Everything's harder without the bar, because you don't have the balance, and the weight distribution is completely different.

I guess it's safe to assume you haven't played in an awfully long while then. All the best bar players are also the best no-bar players. The only thing folks care about is score and tournaments (especially for ITG), and this coming from a primarily no-bar player. If I no-bar a 99% on Hardcore of the North in a tournament (yeah right), no one's going to care about that if Damien or Mike show up and bar even a 99.03%. The best I could hope for is for someone to say "he's pretty good for a no-bar player," but most people would follow up with "but he still doesn't win tournaments."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Kalium

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Having seen in whole both Speed Grapher and KonoMini, I have to agree with these ratings. The first couple episodes of KonoMini are spoiler[before dropped plot points cover the floor and before it falls apart - that ending made no sense whatsoever]

The sex and drugs early in Speed Grapher are there for shock value I think. They make it clear just how depraved the members of this secret club are. It turns them from The Elks into Thugee, or something analagous. It makes them bad, instead of simply misguided. It gives the series antagonists early on.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... the 2 I was looking at curiously was Speed Grapher and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, but based on both the reviews, user opinions, and ratings on this site, both of these titles are going to get a Netflix rental or two before I decide whether or not I want to invest money in them. The concept of Speed Grapher sounds ridiculous to me (things blowing up by taking a picture of them, this power given to the guy by kissing some girl) and Ugly/Beautiful seems like a cross between FLCL and Elfen Lied based on the first episode (it's on Anime Network On Demand, that's where I saw it), but the vast mixed opinions of both these titles calls for a rental of the two. I've already mistakenly spent money on a very disappointing series (Avenger) so I am very careful with my anime purchases.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
As some others said, I got a very negative feeling after watching the first episode of TUYBW.

There are some shows I like that I wouldn't want people to judge by the first episode, but I couldn't help but feel that this show is otaku fodder (not the American meaning of otaku, the creepy Japanese one...).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
As some others said, I got a very negative feeling after watching the first episode of TUYBW.

Normally I would skip a series like this but since I am partly intrigue I will probably add it to netflix. BTW netflix is really cool, I have seen a lot of titles that normally I would never think about dropping a dime on. Best $15 dollars I spent every month.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Geez, no love for TUYBW.

This is a title that you have to think about because Gainax didn't hit you over the head with the obvious stuff and get past the fanservice element. I thought that the ending made sense. It wasn't what I wanted though.

People should probably netflix this one first if you're unsure about it since it's not your usual anime title. The first volume is a setup volume with little hints of things to come. The last cast member is introduced in the next volume.

This is not a title for those who like simple discussions.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Geez, no love for TUYBW.

I have a feeling that Bamboo will treat Kono Minikuku the same way she treated Yumeria - she'll most likely make the final volume a rental.

I asked this on the TUYBW review thread a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't receive an answer so I'll post it here: If Foster directed the dub for Gantz and/or Elfen Lied, would he asked those actors to use pseudonyms as well, given the content of those two series? I don't believe anything contained in Kono Minikuku that Foster believes is "over-the-top" can compare to all of the graphic violence and nudity in Gantz and EL. So I would say that just like he did in Kono Minikuku, Foster probably would have asked the actors in those two series if they wanted to use pseudonyms had he been the ADR director to either or both series. Just a thought... Anime smile + sweatdrop
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3