• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemonozume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:03 am Reply with quote
Watched the first episode...

As far as animation, style, colors, camera angles and all that stuff, this anime is truely unique (already expected that though...). Kind of feels nice to see something different. Although it's refreshing, art really isn't my thing as far as anime goes. Maybe I'd have to be an art student to appretiate it... I'll love something even if it has crappy art as long as the story is interesting...

Which brings me to my other point. I only found the story to be mildly interesting in this, nothing that great. Even though I didn't find the actual story that interesting in Cat Soup, it was done in such an abstract way that it caught my attention and kept me interested... I was hoping for something similar here... only the first episode though. I'm hoping it will get better.

I found some of the humor to be enjoyable though... having to go to the bathroom in the middle of a fight... I just wasn't expecting that. Confused me even more that they didn't explain what happened until after the fight. When it happened I was like "WTF!?". Wierd... but definately funny... at least to me.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Amazing show this is. The world needs more anime like this. But then again, it might become the standard and all kinds of lame "attempts at" will be created.
Nah... this is too "out there". Lovely.

I won't deny it has flaws; but eh. Everything has flaws; the good far outweighed the lesser parts.

And might I add: I LOVE the soundtrack.

Oh! And the monkey! Brilliance.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
After seeing the second episode I have to say that most of my fears about the series have been put to rest. Even if it did go into a predictable direction it was executed with such skill that it felt fresh. I love the way the portrayal of the relationship between the two main characters. It could have easily became sappy, but they actually came of as a pair of people in love, a rare thing in anime as far as I'm concerned. Even the little things like spoiler[not showing Toshihiko's proposal to Yuka, but rather them after celebrating] made it so much more natural to me. I also love the subtle character development going on. The "Romeo and Juliet" element was expected and I had feared on how it would play out, but Yuasa and his crew got it off to a good start. It was smart to build a emotional attachment between the couple and the viewer (which suprised me how well they did in such a short amount of time), because the sympathy you feel for their predicament looks to be the driving force of the series.
I also have to say that the visual aspect of the show was even better this time around. In particular I liked the use of diffrent colors in scenes. Nothing new but used to exellent effect here (in particular the yellow-toned date scene was particularly beautiful). Easily one of the best-looking andbest-directed shows of the year.
barbapapa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:47 am Reply with quote
/agree with Kagemusha

I also had some doubts after watching the first episode, but decided to sit it out until I saw more of it. As something by the hand of Yuasa simply cant be even remotely bad. Not that it was, but yeah there was definitely a bunch of stuff that had me wondering how it would fold out, so to speak.
But the second episode completely took most of my doubts away.
Cannot wait for more.
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe this thread's alive and kicking. I've been unable to use the internet for the past week and a half (moving and everything) so I didn't even know until a day or two ago that Kemonozume was available subtitled. I've also seen the 2nd episode and liked it better than the first. I can't wait to see where it goes in the future.

To Kagemusha, yeah, I guess I raised the show on a pedestal a bit in my 1st episode post (I really wanted people to watch it!) but I'm fully aware that the show has flaws. For me, though, it's a matter of the pros vastly outweighing the cons, since the artistry and quality of most of the animation is such a perfect match for my taste. The relatively traditional plot was a huge surprise for me, but a pleasant one. It's a little different from what I've come to expect from Yuasa, and I like it when auteurs surprise me. And, frankly, I hardly EVER get the chance to be a fangirl and wanted to grab the chance to rave about something. Wink

Thanks for all the replies, even the negative responses to the show! I'm just happy people are watching it and discussing it honestly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 is finally available subbed. (It's a relief to understand 100% of everything being said, finally.) The animation director for this episode is Nobutoshi Ogura, key animator on Windy Tales. His unique feel for human anatomy (ie star-shaped people whose limbs taper off into little points) fits strangely well with the visual style of the show, even if it's a little different. Oh, and the opening scene is one of the most delightfully macabre and creepy scenes I've ever seen in anime.

I've been watching the raws (up to ep. 7) and the quality of the show, both visually and in storytelling, is still really nice. The animation quality stumbles in episode 4 (outsourced instead of animated in Japan), but comes back full-force in ep. 5.

Also, Osamu Kobayashi fans (ParaKiss, Beck, End of the World) will be happy to hear that Kobayashi scripted, directed, and key animated the entire length of episode 7 on his own. Shocked The look and feel is different from the rest of Kemonozume, but that Kobayashi weirdness is there. Definitely worth seeing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
So I got to watch the 3rd ep, and I've got to say-- I'm having a hard time getting a hold on this show-- visually, it has some wonderful moments-- somebody's earlier comments about the "golden" scene in ep 2... where they're kissing in the fountain was dead on... that's beautiful stuff, and unlike anything you get to see on TV. Still.... The show is so scattered, and although it's a visually tasty treat, and has a nice jazzy soundtrack, the story is still sort of blah to me. It's full of slapstick, and yet rather serious. It puts characters in dynamic, complicated situations, but never really delves into the drama of them. I feel like the creators don't really know what kind of show they want to sell me.

Whenever they get to real "romance" between the two leads, everything is dead on though-- these scenes are very natural and beautiful. Their casual interactions seem so real that it adds a layer of depth, or atleast of validity, to their feelings and relationship that otherwise shouldn't be there-- since there really hasn't been much of a typical "build up" to their sharing much in the way of deep emotions. Also, they really nail the kinetic physical connection the two have-- outside of Mindgame, I've never seen an anime really show that powerful physical chemistry two people can have in such a realistic, true way.

And as before-- when they spoiler[escape together and get on the train ]at the end of ep 2, well, that's a moment for some real drama and dialogue between the two of them-- it ought to a surprise to him, right?, spoiler[that she's a flesh eater], and a bit difficult emotionally for him, but they just seem to glaze over all that, and we never get to see much in the way of real interaction between them when it would really count towards some hefty character development.

This has been the real issue, for me, with the whole show-- visually it's very dynamic, and the passing bits of "throw away" dialogue are wonderfully real, creating a real sense of intimacy between characters in a very short amount of time-- which is anything but "throw-away", and yet the storytelling is really rather lacking. I'm sort of dissapointed, because Mindgame had such a philosphical/moral resonance to it that this is lacking here. Instead, this has all the wackiness of that movie without any of the heft-- and yet, it still seems to want to play it straight rather often, which makes the whole viewing experience sort of disjointed for me.

I mean, I'm still watching it-- and there's always something beautiful to watch each ep, but I wonder whether the story will really have enough heft to pull me through to the end.....

Any other thoughts on this show??
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I like that those kind of things are going unsaid. Even in the 3rd episode when spoiler[she attacks him in the shower] you can tell the situation is troubling him but he tries to hide it. So far I think it's going swimmingly. Their relationship is realistic without them having deep, emotional, soul-bearing conversations. The creator's trying to convey their love through mundane interactions(and the sex, naturally; what better way to nonverbally show their love?). We are just meant to assume that they've had said deep conversations.
I really love the weirdness of it too, especially in the third episode when there's a spoiler[giant] looking for them. No one seems to question the fact that there's a spoiler[giant] or even acknowledge that there's anything strange about it. I dunno. I just love things like that where oddities like that are just taken as everyday things.

And @ Cloe: I knew I noticed a touch of Windy Tales in there!
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
This has been the real issue, for me, with the whole show-- visually it's very dynamic, and the passing bits of "throw away" dialogue are wonderfully real, creating a real sense of intimacy between characters in a very short amount of time-- which is anything but "throw-away", and yet the storytelling is really rather lacking. I'm sort of dissapointed, because Mindgame had such a philosphical/moral resonance to it that this is lacking here. Instead, this has all the wackiness of that movie without any of the heft-- and yet, it still seems to want to play it straight rather often, which makes the whole viewing experience sort of disjointed for me.

Hm, it's interesting to me that you would have this reaction after ep. 3, which was almost entirely uninterrupted Yuka/Toshihiko interaction. Right now I get the feeling that Kemonozume's biggest drawback is that its director, unfortunately, created the perfect film with his last endeavor, and it'll be hard now for everything else he does to live up to it. I'll agree with you on that point--Kemonozume is no Mind Game; that's for sure. But how often does a film that special come along? Kemono has enough elements reminiscent of Yuasa's MG directing style to stand out from the average anime title, but the way the script approaches its characters and scenarios is quite different.

The disjointedness is one of the aspects of Kemono that I really like; I enjoy going from zany Eternal Family-esque humor to thoughtful contemplativeness. Although the first ep. took that to the extremity, I thought the balance in ep. 3 was especially well done. Really, the only slapstick there was the scene when Yuka and Toshihiko were signing to each other when the giant man (!!??#@%*#&) apeared and completely misunderstood each other's signs, and I thought it was one of the most charming moments in the entire series thus far. The rest seemed really heartfelt, especially Yuka's childhood anecdote about her friend Midori and Toshihiko's song ("Tocchi tsute tatte tsute iemotate").

Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I always watch Kemonozume with my fiance, who also loves it, and there's a different kind of viewing chemistry there than watching it alone, especially for what is essentially a love story. I don't think I'm making excuses or being a Kemono apologist, however; I think the storytelling has truly been pretty solid. Thanks for your opinions, though! I love hearing different viewpoints and explainations; it helps me think about aspects of the series I hadn't noticed before. And thank you thank you thank you for being so honest; I'm glad to see your critique reflects an expectation of a different standard from most anime. That's my wish as well. Smile
Hoenheim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Oh, and the opening scene is one of the most delightfully macabre and creepy scenes I've ever seen in anime.

I totaly loved that scene, it had me smiling through most of the intro. About the show in general, I'm absolutely loving it. It tells a normal story with an amazingly awesome atmosphere. Theres some things they do, mainly characterization, that give it a realistic feel, while theres other things, like the giant guy, that just give it such an awesome over the top feel. Then theres the great intro as well as the great, and different, animation that makes it a cool, new experience. One thing in perticular I found to be done excelently was the character's actions. Sure there's the normal cliche love story action thingys, but, for instance, when um... the 2 main characters... were on the train, Yuka has an expression and voice that make her seem so real, while having a half over the top role. Regarding the comparison to Mind Game, I'm not sure how fair it is to compare them yet. I wasn't too into Mind Game throughout most of it, but then after it was over, the full effect of it had me in awe. While I'm usualy on the other side of this argument, I think Kemonozume is a show that should only be fianaly judged after it's over. It is pretty different from Mind Game being by the same director though in plot structure and such. Overall, I really look foreward to seeing more of Kemonozume, and think it could end up ranking somewhere in my top 5 anime ever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote
Episodes 4, 5 and 6 are all available subbed now (weird how they all came out around the same time).

Animation quality stumbles a bit in episode 4, since it's an outsourced episode. I think the story in this one makes up for it, though, as it reveals a little bit of the history of Kifuuken, Toshihiko's father, Yuka's mother and the meaning of "Kemonozume." All of a sudden one of the passing shots in the opening sequence makes a lot more sense! spoiler[And what a shock to find out that Kazuma and Yuka are half-siblings!]

The quality picks back up in episode 5, which has possibly the funniest opening sequence I've seen so far. I have mixed feelings about the story in this one; in a way I like how the focus turned to some of the other Kifuuken members, and the spoiler[Shokujinki-Umeda romance] was especially bittersweet and touching. But I was really eager to get back to the relationship between Yuka and Toshihiko. Some of the animation in this episode--the aforementioned opening sequence, the really scratchy, sketchy animation of Umeda training with the blooming flowers in the background, and Umeda fighting the Kifuuken Buster Suits--is some of the best I've seen on a TV series. Very nicely done.

Episode 6 switches back to Toshihiko and Yuka. Their interaction with each other is so lovely. That Toshihiko mutters "Yuka" in his sleep near the beginning of the ep. and a few minutes later Yuka mumbles "Toshihiko-san" while she's asleep is such a nice little touch and really drives home how much each person means to the other. And the little monkey re-joins the couple here, with a bigger role than he's had since the first episode. Yuasa's sense of humor really comes through here, especially in Toshihiko's training and when spoiler[Yuka accidentally paralyzes him and the ensuing hilarity]. And "Bon-chan" is my new favorite character. Everything about him is charming, especially in the way such a massive person folds such tiny, intricate paper cranes. There was really a lot to enjoy in this episode.

For anyone interested, Ben Ettinger of Anipages Daily has also been keeping tabs on the series, and his comments are pretty fun to read and offer a lot of insight into the production side of Kemonozume.
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Episode 6 switches back to Toshihiko and Yuka. Their interaction with each other is so lovely. That Toshihiko mutters "Yuka" in his sleep near the beginning of the ep. and a few minutes later Yuka mumbles "Toshihiko-san" while she's asleep is such a nice little touch and really drives home how much each person means to the other. And the little monkey re-joins the couple here, with a bigger role than he's had since the first episode. Yuasa's sense of humor really comes through here, especially in Toshihiko's training and when spoiler[Yuka accidentally paralyzes him and the ensuing hilarity]. And "Bon-chan" is my new favorite character. Everything about him is charming, especially in the way such a massive person folds such tiny, intricate paper cranes. There was really a lot to enjoy in this episode.

Episode 6 was hilarious. Monkey-shishio riding the flaming Toshihiko! My initial impression was that this show would be extremely violent, bloody and dark, but after watching the 6th episode which was extremely light-hearted, I'm not entirely sure where this show is heading.... me like very much! Anime smile The whole bit with Bon-chan (the giant private detective) trying to squeeze into the building throught the front door made absolutely NO SENSE to me but was hilarious!

The anime also features some good background music, light jazzy tunes during mood scenes and hyper percussive beats during action sequences. Reminds me of Shinchiro Watanabe's superb pairing of music with anime in Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

I eagerly await the next episode, hopefully filled to the brim with monkey antics.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
My initial impression was that this show would be extremely violent, bloody and dark, but after watching the 6th episode which was extremely light-hearted, I'm not entirely sure where this show is heading.... me like very much! Anime smile

Yes, yes! I feel Kemonozume is really a silly and poignant romance disguised as a dark thriller. Being a Masaaki Yuasa work, it could never really be entirely depressing and violent; his work is just too warm and full of heart. On the other hand, it can never get trite or meaningles, because the foundation of Yuka and Toshihiko's tale has so much substance.

I feel the same way about it as Ben Ettinger at Anipages:

Anipages Daily wrote:
This is definitely the funniest episode since the first episode, and the one where Yuasa's brand of humour comes out the best since the first. Yuasa co-wrote the script, which explains why. At the same time the episode weaves in a nice, touching story, and a fantastic action scene involving none other than the monkey - whom I've been dying to see in action again - so it was a really fun and enjoyable ep to watch. That's what I came away with from this episode - how nice this series is. In other words, how good it makes you feel just watching it. The show has heart. Despite the gruesome premise and occasional shocking image, it never feels morbid or repellant. There have been well produced series that I've enjoyed in the past, but beyond the technical aspect, there haven't been many series that I've simply enjoyed immersing myself in the way I do this one.
adonais

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:
Episode 6 was hilarious. Monkey-shishio riding the flaming Toshihiko! My initial impression was that this show would be extremely violent, bloody and dark, but after watching the 6th episode which was extremely light-hearted, I'm not entirely sure where this show is heading.... me like very much! Anime smile The whole bit with Bon-chan (the giant private detective) trying to squeeze into the building throught the front door made absolutely NO SENSE to me but was hilarious!

Christ on a crutch. Oh blimey. How to describe something like this. It's like "Bad Taste" meets David Lynch on uppers - in a good way. I live in hawaii, but I've never seen body surfing like that, haha! And the drawing style is magnificent in all its roughness. At first I thought it a bit ugly, but now I wouldn't want it any other way. As for where it's heading, well - at least one settled for a park bench with an ocean view Laughing This is going straight to masterpiece. Please someone pleeeease license this, it is destined for cult status already..
strongbad123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
I'm so happy other people like this show, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
But I'mt for anything that's this unique. I've seen up to episode 8
and this is where u see that every character in this show is flawed, there is no absolute hero, and there are no absolute enemies. Hatred and primal feelings feul all actions in this show,
they are the true motivators.
5 more episodes and I can only hope the series ends as strongly as it has been so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5