• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1
For a moment it felt like it was some sort of Chuunibyou sequel, except it seems that the delusional stuff is real. That actually seems to be what I feel they are going for, Mirai even has a bandage on her arm, is moe clumsy, but has some sort of cursed heritage that has her wanted. I think comparing Mirai to Rikka Takanashi, just as Akihito will get comparison to Yuuta, they are part of a hidden world which he has connections to but appears as a normal student.
Actually that's an interesting take. The relationship of Mirai and Akihito does have a bit of a Chuunibyou vibe to it. Hmmm...interesting, we'll have to see if the show has more of that type of feel to it as it goes on or if it will veer away into something else.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:56 am Reply with quote
So this is a regular school story with some supernatural thrown in.
I was kinda expecting more supernatural and less school life.
So far it's working out fine.
That Mirai sure is a clumsy girl despite her power.
Gonna give this a few more episodes before I decide..
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I have read a bit of original LN and from what I have seen it is just crappy fantasy action high school series.However I will give this show a chance because:
a)Taichi Ishidate is a pretty good animator and I am interested in seeing what he can offer as a director.
b)Ishidate previously mentioned how he is going to insert a lot of action scenes,since this is KyoAni we are talking about they will most likely look [expletive] great.

You're spot on with this analysis. Story wise this is just another pretty crappy fantasy/highschool show. The writing is painfully "light novel" and there's a lot of bad exposition and awful world building. But boy...does the stellar direction ever bring it to life! The fights are really dynamic and even the non-action scenes have a real nice visual flair and attention to detail. The music is really quite strong too and is often used to nice subtle effect. All in all, I'm surprised to say that I really rather liked this for whatever warts the writing might have.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Decent first episode. I hope it follows the light novel and doesn't shoehorn in a tacky romance between the two leads because they have zero chemistry together.

Hey, it would be awesome if you'd put Original Source spoilers in spoiler tags, please. As I have to point out continuously every time an anime is adapted from other sources, some of us don't like knowing anything about a story in advance.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I bet this show wants to be Bakemonogatari when it grows up, it needs to get a lot more clever and wittier for that, though...but yeah, it looks pretty and aside from the clumsy moe girl, the characters weren't bad, so i'm gonna give it a couple of more episodes, i suppose.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Decent first episode. I hope it follows the light novel and doesn't shoehorn in a tacky romance between the two leads because they have zero chemistry together.

Hey, it would be awesome if you'd put Original Source spoilers in spoiler tags, please. As I have to point out continuously every time an anime is adapted from other sources, some of us don't like knowing anything about a story in advance.

Considering Chuunibyou was absolutely nothing like the light novel content, I don't think the 'spoilers' particularly for something as vague as initial relationship standing warrants any spoiler tag.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what great logic - Show A didn't follow the source material so ergo there's no reason to think Show B will either. Rolling Eyes

I've reported your post and we'll get an official ruling. This is why I generally hate posters who insist on discussing Original Source material in anime threads. Many are very considerate been then you get complete a-holes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'll tell you as well.

The light novel does not involve a Pink winged triceratops youmu which Mirai tames and flies around with.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I quite liked the first few minutes, I liked the boldness and things just casually happening. I wish Mirai was less of a wimp, but I still find the premise pretty cool and interesting and I'm really looking forward to learn more about the Spirit Warriors and youmu

But if every anime character was courageous then anime would be boring since there wouldn't be conflict. Don't get me wrong, I dislike wimpy characters too, but Mirai is different. At least she is trying to fix it out of her own freewill. She isn't being a little @*#@! like some character from Evangelion.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This show is already significantly better than Bakemonogatari ever was. At least it keeps its painful "derp herp we're self aware" schtick to a minimum and has a much livelier pace and way more energy. Although I'll grant, Bake did successfully make that episode about the snail resemble an actual snail in terms of pace. So there's that.
casualfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Great first episode. I like the characters and animation so far. That blood saber looks somewhat ominous which contrasts Mirai's character quite well. The movement also looks quite fluid which helps a great deal for the action scenes. I just hope it stays to its premise of "demon" hunter without veering off to slice-of-life.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode to be quite enjoyable, myself. I'm definitely interested to see how the show will turn out. I have yet to see a KyoAni show that I disliked.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
This show is already significantly better than Bakemonogatari ever was.

Comparing the two when they share nothing in common is one thing, but I'll take a show which can surprise me and still cater to my tastes over something that gives no fanservice for otaku and don't have anything to it than pretty animation.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Beginning of this episode was pretty intense.
It sure was a pretty cool fight.
Looks like she has some bad memories for the past.
At least she found a good friend.
Things should get more interesting soon enough.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2, Mirai is STILL definition moe, however she is haunted by her past which more than likely has to due with an incident involving her inherited lineage power.

The balance of comic elements with the serious nature of the hunt creates in interesting atmosphere to keep tabs on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 21