• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
To me, this first episode hinted at a lot of promise. Gorgeous background art, minimalistic score, an a low-key tone that I love. However, like others, I found some of the characters wanting, and I really want to know more about this world they set up. Although, if it just turns into 3 girls wandering an abandoned Tokyo for a season, I'd totally watch that. I guess I'll stick around for a few more episodes to see how this pans out.

Also, spoiler[what the hell kind of tranquilizer gun flings a decent sized wolf a few meters into a street mirror? Jeez.]
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
Liked the visuals. Absolutely interested in how the story progresses.

I can think of dozens of lethal hazards in an abandoned nuked Tokyo, even to girls immune to radiation poisoning, so hopefully there are more threats in this anime than just spoiler[wolves.

Also, while I agree that the scared girl is useful and provides an appropriate amount of caution in everything they do, leaving Taeko alone and unarmed with a large carnivorous wild animal, dog or not, was stupid. No logical explanation for that.]
Gatherum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
I was enticed by the holy-[expletive]-shit-amazing post-apocalyptic background art, but I have to say that I'm less impressed with the rest of it. The general premise seems like a vague amalgamation of From the New World and Stephen King's novel, The Mist, but feels thinner and flimsier than both.

I can agree with most of the other complaints, especially in regards to Aoi's over-acting, and the writer(s) jumping, yet again, on the goddamn let's-make-them-adolescent-high-school-kids trope. I guess it just needs that to sell, no matter how much it clashes with the rest of the environment, or with common sense. The execution of spoiler[Mishima's exposition of the epicentre] was also a weak point. Vague as the first episode is, I feel as if this would have been better were it left out. Let the girls find out later what lies spoiler[within the haze] for themselves.

But, shining Amaterasu, is this a beautiful show! The animation of its character movements is a bit awkward, but otherwise, the overall detail is very nearly on par with that of Shinkai's latest film, The Garden of Words. It's so pretty that I cannot give up on it yet, and probably won't unless it becomes hopeless after a few episodes.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
No way this is gonna fill in the gap after Attack on Titan... I will give it a few more episodes, but for now I am not drawn in and don't care much for the characters. I really enjoy the animation and the mood and I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stories, so hopefully it will turn out worth it. I am not sure how the emotional girl got on the team, Id suppose that rescuing people from those sort of areas would be distressing; maybe apart from genetic modifications they could put some money away on a decent psychologist too.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
No way this is gonna fill in the gap after Attack on Titan... I will give it a few more episodes, but for now I am not drawn in and don't care much for the characters. I really enjoy the animation and the mood and I am a sucker for post apocalyptic stories, so hopefully it will turn out worth it. I am not sure how the emotional girl got on the team, Id suppose that rescuing people from those sort of areas would be distressing; maybe apart from genetic modifications they could put some money away on a decent psychologist too.

I think it's a good idea to have her there. If none of them had any fear, they wouldn't survive long.
Miranox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Throughout the whole episode, questions kept building up. What is this catastrophe that happened, how is it making the environment toxic, why are these girls looking for random people scattered in a disaster zone, why would they send whiny little girls to the rescue in the first place, why are they having a picnic in the middle of a rescue mission, why is this episode so slow, why aren't they explaining anything? Then the episode ended. Wut.

Seriously though, this episode showed some promise but the fact that they kept saying vague stuff without explaining anything was getting to me. A good show doesn't need to do this to keep mystery around.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[So it turns out Taeko wasn't attacked by her dog, her dog got shot by another survivor.

The Coppelions meet the Kawabatas, two parents who are searching for their daughter Miku. Turns out the Kawabatas never wanted to be rescued in the first place because they're escaped prisoners during the meltdown and manage to survive thanks a ration truck dropping supplies every week.

Both parents want what's best for their daughter. The father wanted her daughter safe even if it means getting arrested while the mother doesn't want her daughter to be alone even it means drastic measures. Yet in the end both parents don't survive, which devastates the Coppelions. But the young girl's thank you to them gives them confidence.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
My summary reaction to just about every scene: Wait, what?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 spoiler[Pretty much the episode events is to flash some light on Ibara and Aoi and pretty much spells out how the Coppelion deal with the ongoing search and rescue mission.
Aoi is trained to deal with her emotions most significantly of the trio a side effect is that she is most openly emotional, yet at the same time if it is any indicator she is the most stable with her emotions as Ibara the "leader soldier" personality has a momentary break down over the woman she came to rescue out right questioning her humanity and calling Ibara a doll due to her seemingly lack of open empathy when compared to the ladies interaction with Aoi.
As a seemingly half hearted comment I made earlier, the High School uniforms "identify them as human" which pretty much comes up for a moment when the trio are slightly distressed when they are forced into sterilization clothes as they feel that "they are prisoners" while wearing them (possibly hinting at there early life training)]

That said, the follow up episode will not change anyone's mind for good or ill in regards to this series.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite decide what's weirder; the girls or the hazmat guys that keep popping up out of nowhere.
For a city that's ravaged by radiation those girls have their hands full with helping others.
Yet strangely, this is still interesting to watch.
Maybe it's the unusual story or the seriousness of it all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
A bit too much crying for my taste (not that I didn't allow myself to be manipulated by the pathos, of course), but I still liked it overall. Bums me out I have to watch a stream of this on my Mac instead of seeing it in HD on my 54" plasma...
yoshiyukiblade

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
The emotions running through this episode felt too forced lol. I almost felt that spoiler[Ibara was faking her emotions to try to convince the woman to hand over the little girl. The scene where the father asked to be left alone was also kind of strange. I mean, it's supposed to be dramatic and all, but will it really be alright to leave a rotting corpse in a hazmat suit lying there (without a proper burial)? I hope they did something about it off screen o_o] I'll wait and see how the direction will go from here on, but this episode did not display very convincing drama.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
They're dolls you see, dolls! And if you don't get that the show will take pains to let you know by bonking you over the head with "dolls".

Backgrounds are still interesting, thick black lines around characters still make them look like card board cutouts.

That wolf spoiler[sure recovered quickly from that gunshot wound]. It was real convenient that the spoiler[building should crumble when it did]. Wasn't there someplace else she spoiler[could have hidden with the kid]? Didn't care for the weird mood shifts at the end.

So far, aside from the background art the show is feeling a little clunky. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes, because I tend to like post-apocalyptic stuff but its going to have to do a lot of work now to hook me.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Episode 2 spoiler[As a seemingly half hearted comment I made earlier, the High School uniforms "identify them as human" which pretty much comes up for a moment when the trio are slightly distressed when they are forced into sterilization clothes as they feel that "they are prisoners" while wearing them (possibly hinting at there early life training)]
Or maybe its hinting at that the spoiler[adults in question were former convicts]. Now I'm not against the idea that they might spoiler[do or wear things to make them feel more like human girls]. Its just you know...school uniforms <sigh>
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

While I might agree that some of the emotions in this episode might feel a little forced, it still did not protect me from feeling it. Maybe if it did not feel so forced you get a little overwhelmed. You have a spoiler[distressed father and stepmother, the stepmother actually killed her baby when she was younger, something that can have quite the reaction]. Then you have the entire scene of the spoiler[mother being desperate for her stepdaughter to not being alone, Ibara has a mini-breakdown as she is faced with complicated situation when she just wants to help]. Followed by the spoiler[deaths of both parents, with Ibara having both of them slip out of her hands, and the child still thanks her, you see some tears going down Ibara's face].

I think the episode also showed strongly that the personalities of the girls does make sense for even supposedly artificially created people. Ibara is able to do what is needed, she may come across as being cold, but she is mostly determined, her emotions may weigh heavy on her if not dealt properly. Taeko is apparently good with animals as well as often carrying the first aid kit, we can assume her to be rather caring. Aoi actually has quite a bit of use, largely that she has a high level of empathy which is important with dealing with people that can be emotional, and although she can come across as annoying, fear and thus caution is an important emotion for survival, she carries their food.

As soon as I heard the OP here I thought something sounded familiar. The OP and ED are performed by angela, which is a band that I have been a fan of. I should have realized that parts of the ED reminded me of what was done in the ED of Seitokai Yakuindomo and with Valvrave's. The OP reminds me of what was done with K's OP. They do some pretty good songs.

Totally did not realize until reading here the comment about the how clothes made them feel like, was spoiler[foreshadowing]. Subtle.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:10 am Reply with quote
I'm still far from hooked, which is sad, considering the setting and how pretty the show is. Good to see Aoi does have a purpose, though. But those mood shifts seemed forced. One moment the girls spoiler[seem to be fine with their purpose and with being a doll, the next second there's a whole lot of crying and drama]. I think the senpai's drama of spoiler["don't take away my only purpose in life"] would have worked much better if it had come at a later point and not in the second episode. It feels to me they gave away a lot within just one episode, emotionally, and it did not work that well for me. Still it's too pretty to give up on for me yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12