• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Infinite Stratos 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Midori?

Nah his sister.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
wait, who's Midori? Not sure what to think of Tatenashi right now, but if she can train Ichika to not suck, that would be nice
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote
There's no one named Midori.

But I was refering to a certain girl whose cleavage he openly oggles when she comes out of the shower. The same girl who shows up in his dreams for no apparent reason.

The girl who also happens to be the main heroine and thus obviously the one he's going to hook up with in the end. The other girls never stood a chance.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Light novel adaptations usually have problems with the pacing one way or another.

Yeah as if "this is where the plot kicks in" isn't enough of a warning sign for a series in its second season, now we have "all other LN adaptions have problems too, you know. Many, some, few, enough, where there are problems..."

Ok, I get it, you're trying to defend the indefensible but doing a blanket comparison, especially when some good LN adaptions have been done in between IS seasons, is probably not a correct approach. Even Date a Live is a step up on IS as it has both a "plot" and a reason for the harem setting.

First season, one guy, five girls. New season, more girls. That is its selling point, its only point {so far} and that's just a continuation from the first season's selling point, introducing new girls in lieu of a plot. I'm a fan of harem series but I don't like IS because I don't see what puts it over other series with clueless lead characters. Is IS so popular in Japan precisely because he's the only male?

This show has many things in common with Mai Otome, an all girl school of diverse nationalities that are brought together to learn to be weapons of war. All the setting points go to Otome for being more believable, from being why only girls to why they can't be beaten by standard weapons of war to why such an institution can exist with both multinational support and, more importantly, power of its own on the world stage.

That series ended in, surprise, a war. I wonder where this one can go?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:10 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Yeah as if "this is where the plot kicks in" isn't enough of a warning sign for a series in its second season, now we have "all other LN adaptions have problems too, you know. Many, some, few, enough, where there are problems..."

First season had plot, but it's mostly establishing things and foreshadowing. It's on the subtler side so I don't blame people who are too busy sticking their noses up at it or people distracted by the boobs for missing it. I say season two is where the plot kicks in because now there's an obvious villain organization causing trouble.

In regards to pacing of LN adaptations, I'm merely stating something I've observed after watching a lot of LN adaptations. Yes, there's definitely been plenty that were good, but in general there's either a lot of spoken exposition to replace a book's narration, or there isn't and stuff happens in rapid succession with little lead in.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Even Date a Live is a step up on IS as it has both a "plot" and a reason for the harem setting.

IS definitely has the latter, it's just one of the ongoing mysteries of the series.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm a fan of harem series but I don't like IS because I don't see what puts it over other series with clueless lead characters. Is IS so popular in Japan precisely because he's the only male?

Probably has more to do with the quality of the girls and the mecha action.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Light novel adaptations usually have problems with the pacing one way or another.

Ok, I get it, you're trying to defend the indefensible but doing a blanket comparison, especially when some good LN adaptions have been done in between IS seasons, is probably not a correct approach. Even Date a Live is a step up on IS as it has both a "plot" and a reason for the harem setting.

First season, one guy, five girls. New season, more girls. That is its selling point, its only point {so far} and that's just a continuation from the first season's selling point, introducing new girls in lieu of a plot. I'm a fan of harem series but I don't like IS because I don't see what puts it over other series with clueless lead characters. Is IS so popular in Japan precisely because he's the only male?

This show has many things in common with Mai Otome, an all girl school of diverse nationalities that are brought together to learn to be weapons of war. All the setting points go to Otome for being more believable, from being why only girls to why they can't be beaten by standard weapons of war to why such an institution can exist with both multinational support and, more importantly, power of its own on the world stage.

That series ended in, surprise, a war. I wonder where this one can go?

because people don't watch harem anime for the male character and plot? IF you don't like, there is not much you can do other then go watch other harem anime that you like.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
good lord that was dumb. not off to a great start season 2.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 4
Well, that girl sure looks like Chifuyu except she's not the friendly type at all. She also seems to have a thing for spoiler[Squall] based on this episode.

The plot moved along alright though with the introduction of the spoiler[Phantom Task]. At first, I thought she said Phantom Pain which which is from another series with science fiction themes. But then again, both of them seems to be spoiler[secret organizations.]

Tatenashi was pretty OP this episode and cute too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 4
Well, that girl sure looks like Chifuyu except she's not the friendly type at all. She also seems to have a thing for spoiler[Squall] based on this episode.

I think you got the girls confused. That scene was supposed to be the legit yuri I mentioned earlier, but it got cut. You see, spoiler[Autumn and Squall are lovers, though I get the impression Autumn is the only one serious about it.]

Hm, judging by the episode preview they're going to skip over/speed through most of novel 6.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Ok looks like I was wrong about M being spoiler[their mother.] Now that I got a clear view of her, it seems like she might be their spoiler[younger sister?], although Ichika seems to have no idea.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
...Ichika seems to have no idea.
You can say this at just about any time for any topic.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:47 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
...Ichika seems to have no idea.
You can say this at just about any time for any topic.

Laughing Forget talking about the episode, this comment wins.

Episode 4

What is with characters and especially good guys always explaining their abilities instead of just letting their opponents freak out like some sort of magic is involved?
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
In northern Australia, IS girls IS u.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
What is with characters and especially good guys always explaining their abilities instead of just letting their opponents freak out like some sort of magic is involved?

Because then the audience won't know how it works.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:37 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Because then the audience won't know how it works.

They could stand away from the scene and speak only to the audience, or you know what became known as an inner monologue. A battle can be won by knowledge and misconceptions, something that various shows neglect, especially annoying when performed by someone who should know better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8