• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anyone seen that new anime Broken Saints?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taoofjord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw it at Best Buy today, must be new. It apparently won an award at the sundance film festival too! It's a complete series box set and I never saw any singles of it released. It's also not listed in the encyclopedia here... hmmm...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
It's probably some other foreign film that just got stuck in the anime section because a customer left it there or an employee didn't know any better.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Even though it's in "anime style" it's not made in Japan, and therefore doesn't qualify as anime. Which is why it's not in the database.
Wikipedia is your friend.
taoofjord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
It's probably some other foreign film that just got stuck in the anime section because a customer left it there or an employee didn't know any better.

I figured it out, actually. First of all, it wasn't in the wrong place by accident. There were about 30 boxsets on the shelf in the anime section.

What the show is, though, is all the chapters of the digital graphic novel (made with flash) released on dvd. It's over 12 hours long. You can watch it all on newgrounds and visit the website here:

http://bs.brokensaints.com/dvd/

It has anime-like art (i guess) which is why it was put in the anime section. So it's not officially anime but I'm still curious if anyone here has seen it and what they think. Should I lock this thread?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Fox sent me one of these to review on the site and I'm not sure why since it's barely anime-style (it looks MUCH more like an American graphic novel) and it's very poorly animated in Flash.

Actually, I shouldn't even say "animated"; this is like watching a slideshow. Actually, you pretty much are watching a slideshow.

The dialogue was this lugubrious "baby's first angst-ridden derivative fiction" nonsense, obviously written by someone who reads too much fanfiction and has taken too many community college creative writing classes. Amateurish all around.
taoofjord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Fox sent me one of these to review on the site and I'm not sure why since it's barely anime-style (it looks MUCH more like an American graphic novel) and it's very poorly animated in Flash.

Actually, I shouldn't even say "animated"; this is like watching a slideshow. Actually, you pretty much are watching a slideshow.

The dialogue was this lugubrious "baby's first angst-ridden derivative fiction" nonsense, obviously written by someone who reads too much fanfiction and has taken too many community college creative writing classes. Amateurish all around.

That sucks Sad It won a lot of awards, If it's that bad, I wonder why...

I believe you more than the reviews on amazon.com though
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Just so you know, it's not that new. My brother bought it about 2 years ago. And it's true that it is just a slideshow. It had absolutely no action in it, or at least the parts that I saw. The beginning is very boring, and you'll lose interest in it after the first 10 minutes or so. I really wouldn't recommend it.
wanderson75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote
Ramadahl wrote:
Even though it's in "anime style" it's not made in Japan, and therefore doesn't qualify as anime. Which is why it's not in the database.

Actually, by your definition, there are a lot of American made movies that are listed on this website's directory that wouldn't qualify.

As far as Broken Saints goes, I happened to catch an ad for it on www.penny-arcade.com and checked it out for the first time last week. The first six eps are on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFmkoE5sSH4. I recommend giving it a try and seeing what you think.

Quick Synopsis and review:

Essentially the story is about four people from different parts of the world, all having apocolyptic visions that lead them to each other and working together to figure out what they mean, as well as the forces behind the visions.

The series was drawn with an anime flair and a comic book style of format. Even the print for the narrative and dialouge was written in the comic book type fonts. Many of the images are still images, but pieces of them move in order to give a sense of motion and action. As far as the style goes, I thought it was a really interesting way of conveying the story to the viewer.

The backstory pulls a lot from modern day headlines (From 2000 on, since it was started then), such as the conflict in the Middle East (pre Bush), as well as fitting in many modern day conspiracy theories in a way to bring a sense of paranoia to the viewer as they become more involved.

As far as the writing is concerned, the narrative is written in almost a 'broken Haiku' style of writing. I believe that the writer wanted to convey the story in a poetic way to add to sense of captivation you feel watching the scenes and reading/listening to the dialogue.

The story starts off very slowly, but it gives you a chance to take in everything going on in each scene. There are subtle hints everywhere that point you to where the story may be going. Honestly, you really have to make it through the first four episodes in order to get a feel for the story since they take a bit of time to introduce the characters, and then proved a small hint to where they are all going. But, once you get past the fourth episodes, they begin to drop tidbits in every episode to keep you watching.

In all out honesty, I've almost called in to work twice this week watching it. (I just picked it up on Sunday.)

This show is for people who enjoy:
A story and plot that requires intellectual thought to understand.
A fluid and poetic narrative.
Are open to new methods and styles of conveying a story.

This is not a story with big gigantic robots, busty women with rainbow coloured hair and low IQ's, or hero's that spend the next ten episodes screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs while they charge their powers for that final attack. (sorry DBZ fans. Razz )

My recommendation is to catch the first few episodes online at the link above and see what you think. If you're still apprehensive, try to rent it and make your decision. I bought it after seeing the episodes online with the voiceovers and I can honestly say it's worth the money.

Pop Quiz!: If you do rent or buy it, listen closely, William B. Davis does the voice of one of the characters. (That's the cigarette smoking man in the X-files for those who don't know.)

Hope this helps!
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
wanderson75 wrote:
Ramadahl wrote:

Actually, by your definition, there are a lot of American made movies that are listed on this website's directory that wouldn't qualify.

I don't like the definition much, but I thought it was the one this site used fairly strictly, and, as such, the reason it's not in the database.
wanderson75

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:22 am Reply with quote
I agree. After I made my post I cruised around the forums and found the list of what isn't considered to be anime. However, there was a posting in the Rejected Titles memorandum about the Thundercats being on the list because there was a Japanese director on the staff, even though the cartoon was made in America.

I'm not going to parade around the moderators of this forum to try to get Broken Saints on the ANNE, it is their ruling after all. Although I think it might be nice to possibly have an American Anime Encyclopedia for those cartoons that are in the Anime style, but not made in Japan.

But, in any case, Broken Saints is a good flick regardless of how we want to classify it. I hope people are willing to give it a chance. It's not often that Internet startups get a lot of popularity to receive the attention that this show has gotten, and I'd like to see more people encouraged to use the internet as a way to show their talents. Wink
Ovalshine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I can see it being in the anime section is because it's the only place they can put R-rated animations.

I started watching Broken Saints around when they completed episode 8. This was around late 2001, early 2002. As some may have figured, this was strictly a flash animation. Before voice actors came along for the revisions (which BTW, I feel as uncomfortable seeing as fansubbers are with English dubs... to give you a bit of an idea).

I loved the hell out of the story and it remains to this day my favorite online series. Ok, that's not saying much because I don't think there's ever been much for online flash series. Still though, it did deserve the award for the time it came out. I was hoping that if they had the means to do a proper revision (since they were able to get professional VAs after all), that they could've had the means to get a good staff to make it more animated instead of the slideshow look when it just the three of them. I guess it was all about being purists with them. Where have I heard that before?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1