• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Tiles Against Humanity

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Animation is kinda what separates anime from manga.

Yes, because stuff like voice work, music, audible sound effects, & specifically-defined pacing (manga you could, theoretically, read at whatever speed you want), among other things, is completely irrelevant when it comes to comparing anime & manga. It seems like, for a lot of people, all it comes down to is "Oooh, moving pictures!". Is animation a big part of the difference? Sure, but if that's all you think is important then you're really coming off as shallow, which I certainly hope isn't the case. It's like people who claim that video games are defined by their graphics instead of their overall package.

Quote:
This series doesn't need mind blowing animation at every step, but I can't think of a single benefit to viewers that comes from it being so poorly and lazily animated at every step.

See, that's where your thought process is failing. You're automatically equating limited animation with terms like "poor" & "lazy". You want poor animation? Watch something like the Panzer Dragoon OVA, with it's embarrassingly-done CG (even for its time) & piss-poor animation. You want lazy animation? Watch Gundoh Musashi, with its sloppily-done scenes, actual photos used as backgrounds, and so many audio & visual mistakes that it's impossible to list all of the ones that happen in a single episode. Those are two perfect examples where words like "poor" & "lazy" are actually proper descriptors. Sure, Akagi doesn't have a lot of animation to it, but the show has enough style, substance, excellent music, absorbing characters, impeccable voice work, & intense storytelling to more than make up for it. People make fun of the anime adaptation of Violinist of Hameln for having barely any animation (it's commonly been nicknamed the "Slideshow of Hameln"), yet people love it for its memorable characters, use of classical music, & dead-serious storytelling.

If you're instantly decrying limited animation as studios being "poor" or "lazy", then you're definitely missing out on some excellent stuff.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Akagi yet but Kaiji is in a class by itself and I highly recommend it. I'm reading the manga now because I just HAVE to see the villains get what's coming to them. I marathoned Kaiji a couple months ago in roughly 7 episode blocks, something I had not done since Monster. It's that gripping/engaging.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Animation is kinda what separates anime from manga.

Yes, because stuff like voice work, music, audible sound effects, & specifically-defined pacing (manga you could, theoretically, read at whatever speed you want), among other things, is completely irrelevant when it comes to comparing anime & manga. It seems like, for a lot of people, all it comes down to is "Oooh, moving pictures!". Is animation a big part of the difference? Sure, but if that's all you think is important then you're really coming off as shallow, which I certainly hope isn't the case. It's like people who claim that video games are defined by their graphics instead of their overall package.

Quote:
This series doesn't need mind blowing animation at every step, but I can't think of a single benefit to viewers that comes from it being so poorly and lazily animated at every step.

See, that's where your thought process is failing. You're automatically equating limited animation with terms like "poor" & "lazy". You want poor animation? Watch something like the Panzer Dragoon OVA, with it's embarrassingly-done CG (even for its time) & piss-poor animation. You want lazy animation? Watch Gundoh Musashi, with its sloppily-done scenes, actual photos used as backgrounds, and so many audio & visual mistakes that it's impossible to list all of the ones that happen in a single episode. Those are two perfect examples where words like "poor" & "lazy" are actually proper descriptors. Sure, Akagi doesn't have a lot of animation to it, but the show has enough style, substance, excellent music, absorbing characters, impeccable voice work, & intense storytelling to more than make up for it. People make fun of the anime adaptation of Violinist of Hameln for having barely any animation (it's commonly been nicknamed the "Slideshow of Hameln"), yet people love it for its memorable characters, use of classical music, & dead-serious storytelling.

If you're instantly decrying limited animation as studios being "poor" or "lazy", then you're definitely missing out on some excellent stuff.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
There are some people over at Anime-Planet who have been strongly recommending to watch Akagi and Kaiji for a few years now. Their opinions on anime are very similar to mine, so I've been meaning to check them out for a while. I was very pleasantly surprised to seem them both pop up on Crunchyroll. Maybe I'll be able to get a start on one of them this semester.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote
While I am dreaming at this point, I hope the Crunchyroll broadcasts will open the doors to more Fukumoto fandom. Sure, the character designs are weird as hell but the storytelling and pacing more than make up for them. Smile

Heck, it could help encourage the licensing of Fukumoto manga. Smile
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:29 am Reply with quote
[quote="Lord Geo"]
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Sure, Akagi doesn't have a lot of animation to it, but the show has enough style, substance, excellent music, absorbing characters, impeccable voice work, & intense storytelling to more than make up for it.

Not to mention, Akagi's stillness is part of what makes him a great player. He's unreadable and he's unpredictable and that makes the tension great for the players as well as the viewers. It also means that the smallest of gestures gives something away, so the anime style makes the viewer observe the way good players do. The animation style fits the story perfectly.

On another note, I was trying to find DVDs of the live action movies. Does anyone know if a) they're worth looking for, or b) they were ever released in English?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2