• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan's Newest Vending Machine Delivers Mobile Apps

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:31 am Reply with quote
I'll have to go check that out next time I'm in Shibuya!
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
That's cool to see, I wonder if Google will expand this vending machine to other part of Asia like South Korea and Taiwan because I know those 2 countries will find these very savy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Japan wouldn't need this if they have more free WiFi hotspots.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Seems silly that you need staff on hand to explain how to use a Vending Machine. Then again I was in a Wendys and the touch interface for the drink machine was sort of poorly thought out.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Japan wouldn't need this if they have more free WiFi hotspots.

Yeah that's true, from what I read. Although I read that Japan is increasing free wi-fi for tourist only and not for their local native resident. Sad

To add to the embarassment, Taiwan and Korea sort of beat Japan ahead in the free wifi hotspots for both tourists and native resident.

Free Wi-fi now offered at public areas in Korea

Travelling to Taiwan? Free public Wi-Fi launched in Taipei

Taiwan offers free Wi-Fi to all foreign tourists

So that backs up the Taiwan and Korea being completely wired and wireless when it comes to internet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought free wifi spots were a pretty standard thing to have when you visit a larger city. Anyways as cool as this is I don't see it takin off.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I thought free wifi spots were a pretty standard thing to have when you visit a larger city. Anyways as cool as this is I don't see it takin off.

Well that would depend on the country and the city you're visiting or living in. Not all countries will have free wi-fi hotspots.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

Well that would depend on the country and the city you're visiting or living in. Not all countries will have free wi-fi hotspots.

It's very difficult to find them in Japan. The only solid one I know of is in a little cafe in Ikebukuro Sunshine.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
TsunaReborn! wrote:

It's very difficult to find them in Japan. The only solid one I know of is in a little cafe in Ikebukuro Sunshine.

True, at least people living in Korea, or Taiwan are lucky to have free wi-fi hotspot. I don't understand why Japan is so behind on the free wi-fi.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1